• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Certificate of Rehab & Pardon CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

paddywakk

Depending on how far back you want to go, even "Native Americans" were likely immigrants, geographically speaking.
Agree. Unless you were born in "the cradle of humanity" every person on the face of the earth is descended from immigrants. I'm sick of hearing that "we're all immigrants (in the US)", myself.

quincy

I think that "we're all immigrants" needs to be emphasized so that "immigrant" does not become a derogatory term.

PayrollHRGuy

Those of us that were born in this county don't meet the definition of immigrant. The last immigrant in my family was my grandfather on my father's side and he died long before I was born.

So saying we are all immigrants is little different than saying I'm black because way back in the genetic pool there was someone from Africa. Or not so way back because my Father's side of the family is from Sicily.

im·mi·grant
/ˈiməɡrənt/

noun
plural noun: immigrants
  1. a person who comes to live permanently in a foreign country.
    "they found it difficult to expel illegal immigrants"
    synonyms:newcomer, settler, incomer, new arrival, migrant, emigrant; More

quincy

Dictionary definition aside - and I agree with you the word immigrant is often used contrary to definition - the phrase "we're all immigrants" is similar to the phrases "we are the world" or "we are one." It is a phrase of unity.

It is not meant to be taken literally (unless, of course, you are saying it as one of many sitting on the cement floors of a US detention center).

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I find myself in an interesting position, being a US citizen who was born elsewhere, but also a citizen of my birth country. The US considers me to be a citizen born abroad; my birth country considers me an expat. So I am both an immigrant and I am not.

PayrollHRGuy

I find myself in an interesting position, being a US citizen who was born elsewhere, but also a citizen of my birth country. The US considers me to be a citizen born abroad; my birth country considers me an expat. So I am both an immigrant and I am not.
You are also an emigrant. (I can't believe that Grameraly doesn't know that is a word).

quincy

I do not have dual citizenship but in recent years I have been tempted to say I'm Canadian. ;)

aldaron

"The California Constitution gives the Governor the authority to grant clemency. A pardon does not minimize past conduct; it recognizes a person’s subsequent progress and accomplishments. A pardon does not expunge or erase the conviction." From the CA gov website. What good is a pardon if the conviction isn't expunged?

quincy

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">