• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Charged for online food order, never received. What do I do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Just to add a little more information about that Code section, it is very, very rarely prosecuted. In my quick research of the cases on that statute, I found exactly one appellate decision — from 1937. There are other federal statutes regarding defacing/altering currency, but they generally require an intent to defraud. Destroying your own dollar bills may be foolish, but that simple destruction of currency is not itself illegal.
Here are US currency laws:

https://www.uscurrency.gov/media/currency-image-use

PayrollHRGuy

Just to add a little more information about that Code section, it is very, very rarely prosecuted. In my quick research of the cases on that statute, I found exactly one appellate decision — from 1937. There are other federal statutes regarding defacing/altering currency, but they generally require an intent to defraud. Destroying your own dollar bills may be foolish, but that simple destruction of currency is not itself illegal.
Which is funny because when Ross Perot was running for President he refused to autograph dollar bills and would say, "they'll put me in jail if I did that."

quincy

Which is funny because when Ross Perot was running for President he refused to autograph dollar bills and would say, "they'll put me in jail if I did that."
I know I have received bills in the past that have been written on, “autographed,” colored in, or decorated. As long as the bill can be used, there shouldn’t be a problem.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Well, the late Ross Perot wasn't a lawyer, and many people who are not lawyers unfortunately have misconceptions about the law. We see that on these boards fairly regularly, after all. The laws regarding money is among the things about the law that many Americans get wrong. Ross Perot was hardly unique in that respect. He was a good sales person and business executive, though.

Bali Hai Again

Well, the late Ross Perot wasn't a lawyer, and many people who are not lawyers unfortunately have misconceptions about the law. We see that on these boards fairly regularly, after all. The laws regarding money is among the things about the law that many Americans get wrong. Ross Perot was hardly unique in that respect. He was a good sales person and business executive, though.
Yes he was, and he certainly had correct his Presidential campaign official song ”Crazy”.

What a megillah.

How about just driving over to the store and talking to the manager. Bring screen shots of your order.

If that doesn't work, have your bank do a charge-back.
I have limited mobility and dont drive. I depend on friends or public transpirt. Delivery is needed at times. I dont know which order to do the charge back on. They have identical numbers. I dont want to choose the wrong one.

What is a megillah and how does it relate to my situation? lol

Ahh - to address that. I have the same problem with a local restaurant. The number in the delivery vendor's system is wrong. The OP should look up the actual phone number using his/her favorite search engine.
I have tried it is so weird. Get the same number.

I'm guessing that the problem in doing that is that the OP stated "because I have limited mobility and depend a lot on delivery..." That limited mobility may be a problem in getting to the Subway location.

The OP stated that the phone number given by Doordash for the store was disconnected. The OP may want to try to find a good number for the store with other searches since the Doordash web site number might not have been correct, but assuming it was then calling won't do any good. A letter is worth trying, if the OP can find an address to send it. If the Doordash driver couldn't find the place, then that too may be a dead end.

That's what I'd do, and do it promptly. Hopefully the purchase was by credit card rather than debit card, since credit cards offer more protection in this situation than debit cards do. Sorting it out with a debit card can be much more of a hassle and more time consuming. Federal law provides more protection for credit card disputes than for debit cards.

In at least most states, if you win your small claims case you get the filing fee and service of process fees added to your judgment. The problem though is that it is still up to you to collect that judgment from the franchisee, and that will be difficult if that location does not exist anymore. You might also be able to successfully sue Doctor's Associates, which is the actual name of the company that runs the Subway business because you placed the order through the Subway website. You'd want to read the terms and conditions of the Subway ordering web site to see if there are limits on your ability to do that.

I suggest you try going through your bank first. Explain the situation and the issue with the two orders. If you provide a clear explanation it should not matter which of the two orders actually went through. Then once you have a response from the bank you can decide what to do next.
Thanks for the info. Will do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">