• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

College educated combat passed over for job by civilian (job stated vets preference)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

avssuc

My daughter served in Afghanistan and returned very badly damaged.

Any questions?

Didn't think so.
I'd like to ask one if I may...

Do you believe that she should be hired over a civilian based on her sacrifice (for jobs that advertise veterans preference, assuming she has equal educational achievement), or do you think veterans preference is a load?

Rwedunyet

Oh, okay. Thanks for clearing that up.

Just out of morbid curiosity, what experience do you have in working with or supporting veterans. Yellow ribbons and "Power of Pride" bumper stickers don't count.
Just a second here.

I have yellow ribbons. I even have bumper stickers. They count for me. AND my brother loves that I do what I can to let others know that I support our troops.

I understand that you were in a nasty place (and I think that you are STILL in a nasty place, at least mentally). But EVERY SINGLE TIME my brother deployed, he left three sisters, a mother, a brother, a grandfather, nieces, nephews.....Get the point? We weren't getting shot at, but we were terrified. We hurt. We ached. We laid awake at night and worried, or had nightmares when we slept.

Those silly little ribbons and stupid little bumper stickers mean something to US. It is how we cope with wondering if our little brother is screaming after his legs were blown off, or wondering if lil brother is being held somewhere only to end up as the next YouTube Beheading video.

I respect your service. I respect your passion and courage. But I DO NOT respect this attitude towards the civilians that you vowed to serve and protect. If any single person wore a yellow ribbon to support ANY single troop over there, you owe them a THANK YOU.

And if it matters to you, I have experience in supporting a vet...I have rubbed ointment on his freaking SCARS. I have wiped his tears from his eyes and the snot from his nose. and EVERY FREAKING TIME I see a bumper sticker or yellow ribbon I am GRATEFUL because that person is supporting someone who has my lil brother's back. EVERY. TIME. EVERY. ONE. And just so you know, every one of those bumper stickers or yellow ribbons is someone supporting not only YOU, but those that had your back as well.

For shame.

Seriously, take a step back here, look in the mirror. You are still wounded and you need to get some help. Please. Go talk to someone. You are a hero. You can do better than this.

I'mTheFather

I'd like to ask one if I may...

Do you believe that she should be hired over a civilian based on her sacrifice (for jobs that advertise veterans preference, assuming she has equal educational achievement), or do you think veterans preference is a load?
I don't know how Pro will answer this, but I do know that she would never diminish the service of others in an effort to do so.

avssuc

Just a second here.

I have yellow ribbons. I even have bumper stickers. They count for me. AND my brother loves that I do what I can to let others know that I support our troops.

I understand that you were in a nasty place (and I think that you are STILL in a nasty place, at least mentally). But EVERY SINGLE TIME my brother deployed, he left three sisters, a mother, a brother, a grandfather, nieces, nephews.....Get the point? We weren't getting shot at, but we were terrified. We hurt. We ached. We laid awake at night and worried, or had nightmares when we slept.

Those silly little ribbons and stupid little bumper stickers mean something to US. It is how we cope with wondering if our little brother is screaming after his legs were blown off, or wondering if lil brother is being held somewhere only to end up as the next YouTube Beheading video.

I respect your service. I respect your passion and courage. But I DO NOT respect this attitude towards the civilians that you vowed to serve and protect. If any single person wore a yellow ribbon to support ANY single troop over there, you owe them a THANK YOU.

And if it matters to you, I have experience in supporting a vet...I have rubbed ointment on his freaking SCARS. I have wiped his tears from his eyes and the snot from his nose. and EVERY FREAKING TIME I see a bumper sticker or yellow ribbon I am GRATEFUL because that person is supporting someone who has my lil brother's back. EVERY. TIME. EVERY. ONE. And just so you know, every one of those bumper stickers or yellow ribbons is someone supporting not only YOU, but those that had your back as well.

For shame.

Seriously, take a step back here, look in the mirror. You are still wounded and you need to get some help. Please. Go talk to someone. You are a hero. You can do better than this.
Stickers and ribbons are decoration, devoid of actual concern. As Carlin said: "symbolism is for the 'symbol' minded". The war was one based on towing the line of market economics, nobody stopped to ask why we were sending our young men and women off to die, they just did as the Bernays archetype had designed.

avssuc

I don't know how Pro will answer this, but I do know that she would never diminish the service of others in an effort to do so.
Indeed. A tire is a tire, no matter how worn the tread. Let's not examine the level of wear or sacrifice, let us wax PC when someone does.

If I could redact that comment, I would. I've clarified qualified my 'inflammatory' remark several times. But please, keep making it topical.

Silverplum

Stickers and ribbons are decoration, devoid of actual concern. As Carlin said: "symbolism is for the 'symbol' minded". The war was one based on towing the line of market economics, nobody stopped to ask why we were sending our young men and women off to die, they just did as the Bernays archetype had designed.
I really hope you get the help you need. Thank you for your service to our country.

I'mTheFather

Indeed. A tire is a tire, no matter how worn the tread. Let's not examine the level of wear or sacrifice, let us wax PC when someone does.
It is so unfortunate that you don't see it, but that statement right there says the same thing that insulted so many.
If I could redact that comment, I would. I've clarified qualified my 'inflammatory' remark several times. But please, keep making it topical.
Yes, you've 'qualified' the inflammatory remark. You haven't acknowledged how wrong it was. That's the problem. That, and you don't even know it was.

avssuc

I've read through the entire thread several times. You may have addressed it, but you did nothing to mitigate its damage. If anything, you made things worse.
I've mitigated to the level I'm comfortable with, if you're not comfortable with this, I don't know what to tell you. Anyone with combat experience knows how people without combat get treated when they come to the unit. The younger ones get ribbed a bit since they've had no chance, but the older ones that have (quite possibly out of no desire of their own) avoided combat for many years, they are despised. It's not right in many cases, but it's the reality. The simple fact is, they haven't sacrificed as greatly as those with the terrible experience.

You're asking me to step outside of my reality, one that you've never experienced (I assume). With context to the OP and the issue of assisting non-combat vets with the same vigor, I suppose one might make the case that I'd be less inclined to help. My reply to this would be something like:

"Since I'm not in a line unit anymore, why forsake my new mission integrity out of spite? Beyond that, this premise questions my integrity. How in the world have I been entrusted with high level intelligence clearances and other items (for 15 years) if I'm lacking such?"

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Just an observation avssuc: your training, while extensive and impressive, is not for the type of work for which you have developed a passion.

If you are truly committed to pursuing this kind of career, realize that it requires mastering a different skill set, and that you should take this rejection as a sign that perhaps some social work related coursework would be something to look into.

Rwedunyet

That, my friend, is exactly why you were turned down for the job. That attitude, that belief system, is NOT one that would serve the best interests of our vets, especially those that are homeless and/or jobless.

I am done here. Again, I thank you for service, and I hope and pray that all works out well for you.

avssuc

It is so unfortunate that you don't see it, but that statement right there says the same thing that insulted so many.

Yes, you've 'qualified' the inflammatory remark. You haven't acknowledged how wrong it was. That's the problem. That, and you don't even know it was.
I typed it, I see it...and I'm simply pointing out the overreaction. My 'original' comment was uncouth, and without much context. I have since expanded, and lessened the incendiary nature, at least for those with proper context.

Honestly, I'm not quite sure why I continue to waste my time here, explaining something to you folks that can't possibly be understood without the actual experience.

I'm about to pop smoke on this. I know some of you had good intentions, and for that, I thank you. To those forcing conflation and spouting logical fallacies for the sake of ego boost, I hope you got what you came for.

I guess I'll have to wait until I see another yellow ribbon, veterans day parade, or other meaningless piece of symbolism to feel appreciated. Damn the lack of tangible assistance, as long as the majority feels like they are helping, that's all that matters.

Silverplum

I typed it, I see it...and I'm simply pointing out the overreaction. My 'original' comment was uncouth, and without much context. I have since expanded, and lessened the incendiary nature, at least for those with proper context.

Honestly, I'm not quite sure why I continue to waste my time here, explaining something to you folks that can't possibly be understood without the actual experience.

I'm about to pop smoke on this. I know some of you had good intentions, and for that, I thank you. To those forcing conflation and spouting logical fallacies for the sake of ego boost, I hope you got what you came for.

I guess I'll have to wait until I see another yellow ribbon, veterans day parade, or other meaningless piece of symbolism to feel appreciated. Damn the lack of tangible assistance, as long as the majority feels like they are helping, that's all that matters.
Surely in all this mess, likely on page 1, you were told that you don't have a right to an explanation or a job??

That's the legal answer.

avssuc

That, my friend, is exactly why you were turned down for the job. That attitude, that belief system, is NOT one that would serve the best interests of our vets, especially those that are homeless and/or jobless.

I am done here. Again, I thank you for service, and I hope and pray that all works out well for you.

Never-mind qualifying your first remark with anything of substance, it's 100% spot on for everyone in attendance.

Yes, the prayer will help, thank you. Never-mind understanding the sociological issues/underlying causal factors, knowing Eddy Bernays and his ilk, or how a basic PSYOP works. Leave it all up to archaic superstition (that belongs more in the neolithic) and the xenophobic dialectic (nationalism/tribalism) that are driven by the faceless market economy.

I made a bad assumption, and it took me way to long to understand it. I assumed that this forum would be full of academically oriented folks... my bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">