• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Custody Relocation Trial Scheduled

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

holiford

I've never spoken to my son about the case, court, etc. His Father has said things to him like "Mommy won't let you stay with me, that's okay we will settle this in court", etc. Forensic was ordered and completed already. The only thing our son knows from me is that we are going to see Dr. W (forensic psych) or Mr. B (GAL).
So what will you tell your son when you drag him to a Mr GAL and then Mr Forensic?

Counseling is NOT being suggested a court move or to use in court. It is being suggested to help your son. END OF STORY. Why would you need GAL approval to provide your son with counseling?
I only ask because he was against forensics (I don't think he believe my account of things), judge ordered it anyway because my ex got aggressive with her in court. He was very clear that he was picking the psychologist, not that I would know who to pick anyway. Then when I contacted the psychologist about an incident that happened with my ex during the evaluation process he said that I should've contacted him first.

So what will you tell your son when you drag him to a Mr GAL and then Mr Forensic?
I told him we are going to see a doctor. He asked if he was getting shots, I said no, you are going to talk and play, which is what we did. Same thing with the GAL. We are going to talk and play with Mr. GAL. I try to keep it simple.

holiford

I told him we are going to see a doctor. He asked if he was getting shots, I said no, you are going to talk and play, which is what we did. Same thing with the GAL. We are going to talk and play with Mr. GAL. I try to keep it simple.
So what do you think Mr Forensic and Mr Gal will ask the little guy? Do you think both will inquire about the child preference for ice cream flavors?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
So what do you think Mr Forensic and Mr Gal will ask the little guy? Do you think both will inquire about the child preference for ice cream flavors?
You really haven't paid attention at all have you? She already had the child see Mr. Forensic and Mr. Gal. You need to quit posting superfluous nonsense.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Just stop posting.

You are ignorant.

You are not in NY and you are not a judge. A *judge* agreed to this. It is not an outlandish thing, given the situation, and these professionals generally know how to do their job. They deal every day with children who are going through difficult times, children of all ages, all gradations of troubles.

Then again, your "Mr. Forensic" and "Mr. Gal" comment just shows your not-so-latent misogyny.

Just stop posting.

You are ignorant.

You are not in NY and you are not a judge. A *judge* agreed to this. It is not an outlandish thing, given the situation, and these professionals generally know how to do their job. They deal every day with children who are going through difficult times, children of all ages, all gradations of troubles.

Then again, your "Mr. Forensic" and "Mr. Gal" comment just shows your not-so-latent misogyny.
I wish there was a like button for this. :) Thank you!

Have you gotten him in counseling? That may be something to do. Your ex has a right to object to the move. But a counselor -- if they include dad in the discussions -- can state an opinion regarding whether your son is being manipulated.
Just wanted to thank you for this suggestion. I've identified 3 counselors that specialize in toddlers, through my insurance and I'm sure I will find someone that can help!

I hope everyone had an enjoyable holiday season and a great start to the new year! Update on my situation:

GAL notified both attorneys via email the week of Thanksgiving that his recommendation is in favor of our son relocating with me, and he is in full agreement with the schedule outlined in the forensic report. In his email he strongly urged us to seek settlement and stated this does not need to go to contested litigation The visitation that was outlined by forensic psychologist was 1 weekend in NY and one 1 weekend in NC per month at my expense is what he suggested.

I have agreed to the terms and my attorney reached out to the father's attorney and still has not heard back. Our next hearing in January 31st. Can someone give me some insight as to what might happen if we go in without a settlement? At this point I don't know what else to do. It's not like they've even countered with anything.

CJane

My X and his attorney would NEVER counter with anything, and then day of court, insist we were "close" and just needed "a little more time" to negotiate. We'd then spend the entire freaking day in conference rooms at the courthouse with the GAL going back and forth between rooms trying to work out hte agreement.

Hopefully, your judge isn't so tolerant. But do expect them to show up with their counter offer at the hearing.

LdiJ

My X and his attorney would NEVER counter with anything, and then day of court, insist we were "close" and just needed "a little more time" to negotiate. We'd then spend the entire freaking day in conference rooms at the courthouse with the GAL going back and forth between rooms trying to work out hte agreement.

Hopefully, your judge isn't so tolerant. But do expect them to show up with their counter offer at the hearing.
And whether they do or do not show up with a counter offer ask the judge to make a ruling at the hearing and to not drag it out any longer. Its not in the best interest of anybody for this to be still dragging on.

And whether they do or do not show up with a counter offer ask the judge to make a ruling at the hearing and to not drag it out any longer. Its not in the best interest of anybody for this to be still dragging on.
The trial has not happened yet, so can she make a ruling without it? She has been threatening a trial but at every hearing she keeps pushing the trial date back another 90 days. It's like she's trying to make him settle with the threat that she is going to approve the relocation but she's not understanding that he will never settle. It has been 18 months and counting.

I asked my attorney to ask for a temporary order to relocate pending trial if we go back on the 31st with no settlement. He doesn't seem to want to do that but I feel strongly about it. Pre K enrollment is starting and I want to enroll him in his school that he's currently attending which is a great program that he's thriving in even though he's only there temporarily. Pre K starts end of July and with this back and forth to NY, he needs to be in one place full time to benefit.

LdiJ

The trial has not happened yet, so can she make a ruling without it? She has been threatening a trial but at every hearing she keeps pushing the trial date back another 90 days. It's like she's trying to make him settle with the threat that she is going to approve the relocation but she's not understanding that he will never settle. It has been 18 months and counting.

I asked my attorney to ask for a temporary order to relocate pending trial if we go back on the 31st with no settlement. He doesn't seem to want to do that but I feel strongly about it. Pre K enrollment is starting and I want to enroll him in his school that he's currently attending which is a great program that he's thriving in even though he's only there temporarily. Pre K starts end of July and with this back and forth to NY, he needs to be in one place full time to benefit.
A temporary order would work as well, but the judge is being a wimp about things. Its time for this to be finished, its dragged on far too long.

A temporary order would work as well, but the judge is being a wimp about things. Its time for this to be finished, its dragged on far too long.
Thanks. I also think my attorney is being a wimp for not wanting to ask for a revision to the temporary order but I will insist. I'm paying him a pretty penny and I want him to at least ask and let the judge decide.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">