• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Do I have a case? Gave money to someone who lied to me in Florida.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ADR123

Well, unless the OP happened to sign a gift letter, as is often required when gifting money for a down-payment on a mortgage.
I never signed anything. I never had him sign anything. I turned the money over to him with the thought in mind that this was going to be our house once we were married. Looking back, I do feel very foolish for being so trusting.

ADR123

I can see you having better-than-even odds of prevailing on the money for the home, but not on the car.
He is claiming that since he asked for the car back in February and has been paying for the car and insurance that it should be considered his child support payments.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
He is claiming that since he asked for the car back in February and has been paying for the car and insurance that it should be considered his child support payments.
Whose name is the car in?

ADR123

The op is using the word gift colloquially. There clearly was an expectation that the money was for a house they would share in establishing the family home and a car for her use which she was making payments on.

I'm not sure that puts her better off, but there was no clear donative intent.
Thank you for your response. I thought the home was his home and would be our home once we were married.
Whose name is the car in?
His name is on the car. He traded in my car which had my name on it for this newer car.

ADR123

He proposed to me on Valentine's Day and we became engaged without my knowledge of him being married. Does that count for anything?

ADR123

Could you flesh that out a bit more? You must have signed some documents or something.
The only document I signed was giving up my car to be traded in at the dealership. I did not sign any other paperwork. I was listed on his car insurance until I gave the car back.

Zigner

His name is on the car. He traded in my car which had my name on it for this newer car.
...and then you used the car until you broke up. I don't see you getting the money back for the car. Maybe for the home.

xylene

The only document I signed was giving up my car to be traded in at the dealership. I did not sign any other paperwork. I was listed on his car insurance until I gave the car back.
You wouldn't happen to have copy of this?

Just Blue

He proposed to me on Valentine's Day and we became engaged without my knowledge of him being married. Does that count for anything?
How soon after the "engagement" did you hand over the car and the money? How soon after that did he end things?

ETA: How long did you know him before the "engagement"?

ADR123

How soon after the "engagement" did you hand over the car and the money? How soon after that did he end things?
Almost one year. We were engaged on Valentine's Day 2017. He asked me and the baby to leave January 1, 2018 and he toke the car back at the end February.

Zigner

Are you saying that you were living together for nearly a year after you gave him money for the down payment on the home? Did you not inquire in all that time about the money?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">