• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

DSS question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Megaeram

My husband attempted suicide, the police were called so DSS was notified. In spite of the kids not being present when he attempted this, DSS decided to continue with their case because they felt like the children were in dange. They visited my husband in 3B and he accused me of some things...not being on my medication, not attending therapy and being on drugs. The children were temporarily placed with my In laws and I am allowed supervised visition. I have jumped through all of the hoops and requests they have made and have been told that in spite of me complying they have not managed to get it taken before the judge in court. Now they are acting like they want to drag this out and things are getting more strange...Im beginning to feel like they are wanting to take the kids from me and my in laws (Maybe because foster care makes money?)
My question is this, if I sign custody over to my in laws (who I am able to trust 100%) does this action cause DSS to be forced into closing their case? Allowing me to see my children like normal and even take them grocery shopping if I wanted to.
Thank you for your time

Just Blue

My husband attempted suicide, the police were called so DSS was notified. In spite of the kids not being present when he attempted this, DSS decided to continue with their case because they felt like the children were in dange. They visited my husband in 3B and he accused me of some things...not being on my medication, not attending therapy and being on drugs. The children were temporarily placed with my In laws and I am allowed supervised visition. I have jumped through all of the hoops and requests they have made and have been told that in spite of me complying they have not managed to get it taken before the judge in court. Now they are acting like they want to drag this out and things are getting more strange...Im beginning to feel like they are wanting to take the kids from me and my in laws (Maybe because foster care makes money?)
My question is this, if I sign custody over to my in laws (who I am able to trust 100%) does this action cause DSS to be forced into closing their case? Allowing me to see my children like normal and even take them grocery shopping if I wanted to.
Thank you for your time
Do you have a history of drug abuse? Did you do a drug test for DSS? Show them you therapy records? How old are the children?
Why did your husband attempt suicide? Have you consulted with an attorney? When did all this begin?

Last edited:

paddywakk

Thank you for your time
If you could give custody of your children to your in-laws, they will be in complete control of if you see them at all. Is that what you really want? ARE you supposed to be on medication? ARE you supposed to be attending therapy? ARE you on drugs?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Thank you for your time
Agreeing to sign over custody to your in-laws does not mean that DSS will leave you alone. DSS can insist on special conditions for you, such as supervised visitation, subject to random drug testing, therapy, etc. If your in-laws ignore such recommendations and allow you unfettered access
to your children, DSS could decide that your in-laws are not trustworthy and that it is in the children's best interest to have a foster placement with strangers.

Megaeram

Do you have a history of drug abuse? Did you do a drug test for DSS? Show them you therapy records? How old are the children?
Why did your husband attempt suicide? Have you consulted with an attorney? When did all this begin?
A history, yes. I have completed 3 random drug tests for them with no issues, no positives. I'm attending therapy again and they have been in touch for verification of that. My boys are 2 and 4. My husband attempted suicide due to our separation. All began in March and no financial means for an attorney

Megaeram

If you could give custody of your children to your in-laws, they will be in complete control of if you see them at all. Is that what you really want? ARE you supposed to be on medication? ARE you supposed to be attending therapy? ARE you on drugs?
My new diagnosis does not require medication so not anymore. I'm going to therapy, I have supervised visitation with my children now. My in laws are scared they are trying to get the kids in their custody and we will loose any say.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
A history, yes. I have completed 3 random drug tests for them with no issues, no positives. I'm attending therapy again and they have been in touch for verification of that. My boys are 2 and 4. My husband attempted suicide due to our separation. All began in March and no financial means for an attorney
It has been less than two months - you should be a little more patient.

Zigner

My new diagnosis does not require medication so not anymore. I'm going to therapy, I have supervised visitation with my children now. My in laws are scared they are trying to get the kids in their custody and we will loose any say.
DSS doesn't want to take your kids - the goal is reunification.

Megaeram

By signing over custody I feel like regardless of the case against me, the boys would be safe until they closed the case

Zigner

By signing over custody I feel like regardless of the case against me, the boys would be safe until they closed the case
What do you mean by "signing over custody"? If you are talking about writing up some sort of paper saying your in-laws have custody, then it means nothing. Why? Because you can revoke that at any time. If you're talking about going to court, then the court is not going to allow you to make such an end-run around the system.

Megaeram

Patient??? I have complied to all requests. I am a Mother WITHOUT my boys, I can't take them grocery shopping or to the park...I'm missing out on time with them because these people want to listen to my soon to be ex who was in a mental institution at the time of said accusations????

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">