• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Electric Car Charging

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The op is not running an extension cord, it is the OEM charging cable
You're right about this.

Why would the OP need to pay for an outlet that already exists?
The outlet is not "at" the parking spot. Furthermore, we don't know that the circuit is capable of providing the proper amperage (generally, an EV charging station would be on its own circuit). Lastly, although the OP says the spot is "assigned", we don't know if it's assigned in the lease. If it's not assigned in the lease, then the code section doesn't apply. Oh, and last-lastly...an outlet is not an "electric vehicle supply equipment station".

Zigner

I've been digging in to this more deeply. It would be helpful to know what city the OP is in so that city codes can also be researched.

Zigner

Furthermore, take a gander at Article 625 of the CEC. It certainly requires more than just an outlet.

PayrollHRGuy

What driveway? The OP has an assigned parking spot. From that, you can infer that it is in a parking lot. Do you realize how long it takes to charge a car especially one that is just plugged into a 110v outlet? The OP isn't going to sit out an watch his car charge.

Zigner

What driveway? The OP has an assigned parking spot. From that, you can infer that it is in a parking lot. Do you realize how long it takes to charge a car especially one that is just plugged into a 110v outlet? The OP isn't going to sit out an watch his car charge.
I believe that the OP's spot is immediately adjacent to his unit. In any case, draping a cord from the car, over the gate and then to a non-suitable (for an EV) outlet isn't going to cut it.

PayrollHRGuy

I don't think I've ever seen an apartment parking lot that didn't have a sidewalk between the parking area and the lawn/apartment. If this is the case here, the OP would have to run the cord across a sidewalk. That is a hazard.

Zigner

I don't think I've ever seen an apartment parking lot that didn't have a sidewalk between the parking area and the lawn/apartment. If this is the case here, the OP would have to run the cord across a sidewalk. That is a hazard.
I've seen apartments where the front of the spot was against the fence leading to a unit, as well as apartments where the side of the spot was against the fence leading to a unit.

justalayman

He may be able to get it repaired through California Civil Code 1941.1 - Implied Warranty of Habitability:

(5) Electrical lighting, with wiring and electrical equipment that conformed with applicable law at the time of installation, maintained in good working order.

The OP will have to do a bit of digging and find out what the California Electrical Code required when the apartment was built.
Unlikely since thst isn’t a habitability issue. I don’t know California’s code offhand but regarding the national electrical code, it is possible to have an ungrounded receptacle in an older home.

But my question was more of: what happened? He has been charging his car but suddenly the receptacle is no longer grounded. Either he started using a different receptacle (like maybe one in his apartment rather than one that was outside nearer to his car or the one he had been using does have a problem.

justalayman

As it's exterior and subject to getting wet then grounding is even more crucial.
Not really. Grounding doesn’t do what you think it does. A gfci protected receptacle is much safer than a grounded outlet, even if the gfci protected outlet doesn’t have a grounded circuit. a 15 amp circuit is designed to trip or disconnect around 15 amps. Current over .2 (that’s point 2) amps can be lethal. A human body will limit current flow typically to less than an amp at 125 volts.

A body doesn’t allow enough current flow to cause a 15 amp circuit breaker to trip. You will be electrocuted and the breaker will never trip

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">