• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First Time DUI in IL and Feeling Overwhelmed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

OwnKiwi96

I got into a fender bender (no one was hurt or killed) and blew close to 3x the .08 at the station, I also had an open container. Is supervision even an option for me? This is the first time I have ever gotten in trouble with the law. I have a clean record with no priors. What should I expect?

Just Blue

I got into a fender bender (no one was hurt or killed) and blew close to 3x the .08 at the station, I also had an open container. Is supervision even an option for me? This is the first time I have ever gotten in trouble with the law. I have a clean record with no priors. What should I expect?
Have you hired an attorney yet?

OwnKiwi96

Yes. I want to ask him all these questions but he is a very busy attorney and I don't want to bother him. I do not want to look like a whackjob.

Just Blue

Yes. I want to ask him all these questions but he is a very busy attorney and I don't want to bother him. I do not want to look like a whackjob.
You're looking at some jail time, fines and a suspended license (a year). As blotto as you were you are really lucky that you didn't kill someone. It would be in your best interest to enter into some kind of alcohol treatment/AA meetings. Getting help for your drinking problem will look good for court and it will be good for you. This may be the first time you got busted, but its not the first time you drove drunk.

OwnKiwi96

You're looking at some jail time, fines and a suspended license (a year). As blotto as you were you are really lucky that you didn't kill someone. It would be in your best interest to enter into some kind of alcohol treatment/AA meetings. Getting help for your drinking problem will look good for court and it will be good for you. This may be the first time you got busted, but its not the first time you drove drunk.
My attorney did mention that the probability of me going to jail is equal to winning the lottery. That's one of the things he did tell me. I've already completed the first part of my education classes voluntarily.

zddoodah

Asking your attorney (whether or not he is "very busy") questions about your options and possible outcomes is not bothering and would not make you "look like a whackjob." Indeed, it is a fundamental part of a defense attorney's job to explain these things to his client.

commentator

Every single person who gets that first offense DUI (what state, by the way?) is where you are pretty much. Worried and scared and trying to pre plan how this will go to give themselves reassurance, try to predict exactly what is going to happen. This can be a headache for busy attorneys. You'll find they don't care to talk to you a lot when it's not necessary, do not provide a lot of hand patting and reassuring.

IMHO, the best thing you can do for yourself right now is get into the court mandated assessment and evaluation. And if it even in some tiny way indicates you might have a bit of a drinking problem (even if you don't think you do) I'd get myself into some sort of outpatient rehab program before the court date. Because they have seen thousands of these situations, and the more you can look like this might accidentally have been a one off, and that you have immediately accepted that it happened and done everything in your power to make sure it is not going to happen again, the better for you.

OwnKiwi96

Every single person who gets that first offense DUI (what state, by the way?) is where you are pretty much. Worried and scared and trying to pre plan how this will go to give themselves reassurance, try to predict exactly what is going to happen. This can be a headache for busy attorneys. You'll find they don't care to talk to you a lot when it's not necessary, do not provide a lot of hand patting and reassuring.

IMHO, the best thing you can do for yourself right now is get into the court mandated assessment and evaluation. And if it even in some tiny way indicates you might have a bit of a drinking problem (even if you don't think you do) I'd get myself into some sort of outpatient rehab program before the court date. Because they have seen thousands of these situations, and the more you can look like this might accidentally have been a one off, and that you have immediately accepted that it happened and done everything in your power to make sure it is not going to happen again, the better for you.
That's the thing. My attorney is a very experienced DUI litigator and has seen hundreds if not thousands of cases like this. To me this seems like the end of the world, but to him it's just another day at the office. I have done the first part of my classes and he is having me put together a mitigation packet. I do not know if this will do anything, but he said if I follow his instructions and do what he asks I will be fine. Now, what exactly "fine" means I do not know, but I have no choice but to go along with this. The attorneys I have talked to, before I retained one, said they were confident I could get supervision. It's the uncertainty that keeps me up at night. Will I go to jail? Will the prosecutor add charges? Will I get the book thrown at me? I just need to bare my teeth and face the music.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">