• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First Time DUI in IL and Feeling Overwhelmed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

That's bad for dental hygiene though.
Baring your teeth is snarling. Grinding your teeth is moving them back and forth (and potentially can damage them). Gritting your teeth is clamping them together.

Subtle differences. :)

You should try to find a healthy way to relieve your stress and anxiety.

Good luck.

OwnKiwi96

To anyone still around: had my 2nd court appearance today. They said we'll come back in November. I have to sit for another month with this over my head and I hate it. Also, the person I hit has filed a personal injury claim and I am worried I will get my charges upgraded.

quincy

To anyone still around: had my 2nd court appearance today. They said we'll come back in November. I have to sit for another month with this over my head and I hate it. Also, the person I hit has filed a personal injury claim and I am worried I will get my charges upgraded.
There really is nothing you can do right now so I recommend you leave everything in your attorney’s hands and relax. Your attorney is working for your best interests. He has you covered.

Thank you for returning with the update, OwnKiwi96.

I got into a fender bender (no one was hurt or killed) and blew close to 3x the .08 at the station, I also had an open container. Is supervision even an option for me? This is the first time I have ever gotten in trouble with the law. I have a clean record with no priors. What should I expect?
I'm sorry this happened to you Kiwi. My advice would be reach out to several lawyers to get a better idea of how well you get along with each of them. Communication is really important in life but especially during something as important and potentially life changing as this. I would be sure to get someone who has lots of experience too, someone who won't pass you off to an entry-level attorney with little experience or even a case manager. I hope this helps.

Just Blue

I'm sorry this happened to you Kiwi. My advice would be reach out to several lawyers to get a better idea of how well you get along with each of them. Communication is really important in life but especially during something as important and potentially life changing as this. I would be sure to get someone who has lots of experience too, someone who won't pass you off to an entry-level attorney with little experience or even a case manager. I hope this helps.
Seriously? You're "sorry" that the OP chose to get stinking drunk, drive and caused an accident? You're "sorry" that "happened" to him/her? Ridiculous. Save your sympathy for the victims of drunk drivers. Also ridiculous is your advice on choosing an attorney...One doesn't choose an attorney because "you get along", one chooses an attorney that is competent and one can afford the fees.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You really ought to sit back and read and learn some before trying to give "advice".

adjusterjack

Which brings up another issue that nobody's mentioned. When the court and the DMV gets through with you, your insurance company gets a turn at bat. A DUI conviction is grounds for cancellation of your auto insurance. Getting insurance after a DUI cancellation will cost you double or triple what you pay now and you'll pay those rates for 3 - 5 years, plus whatever the rate surcharge is for causing the accident. If you happen not to get cancelled your insurance company will put you in its own high risk classification at a substantial increase on your next renewal.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
You have an odd sense of humor, MamaBear51.

OwnKiwi96

There's nothing you people can't tell me to feel like a worthless piece of criminal scum that I haven't already told myself. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">