• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

First Time DUI in IL and Feeling Overwhelmed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PayrollHRGuy

Will I go to jail? Will the prosecutor add charges? Will I get the book thrown at me?
These are all things your experienced attorney knows but even him quoting odds isn't going to help you.

I just need to bare my teeth and face the music.
This is exactly what you need to do. And you need to chill. You have or are doing everything you can at the moment. Pulling your hair out isn't going to help.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
What do you mean?
The "odds" don't matter... Only your specific situation matters.

Like when you are diagnosed with cancer, and they say that 90% with that specific diagnosis survive, that doesn't matter if you are one of the 10% that don't.

All you can do is do your best to address the situation you are in constructively - which it sounds like you are attempting to do.

commentator

This is, in reality, the punishment phase of your wrongdoing. It's truly a terrible feeling, and the most helpful thing you can do is take it as a sign from somehwere or something that there need to be changes made in something in your life. Do not be surprised if the courts are very willing to postpone these charges, because the longer they give you, the more likely they are to see what you are really made of, now that you've come to their attention. A simply astonishing number of people get that second DUI while waiting to appear in court for the first one. For all of the reasons, the feelings, the anxieties you've mentioned. If your coping methods involve self numbing with alcohol, it's going to be darn near irresistible to avoid using your favorite coping techniques. Get help. Even if you really don't think you need to, get into a program, do some counseling, decide if you need to give up alcohol forever. And everything you do in regards to getting your life in hand is going to be something that a court will look at favorably. They tend to think poorly of people who come to court with or without representation and try to say they weren't really drunk, this was a misperception by the police, yada yada. Instead of wringing your hands, do the next best things. Get your life organized, do everything you can to demonstrate that you regret this and do not intend for it ever to happen again, REGARDLESS of what happens to you this time.

quincy

OwnKiwi96 is already in a (court-approved) evaluation program, directed to the facility by his attorney, and the center’s assessment is submitted to the court for consideration during the sentencing phase.

commentator

These evaluation programs are pretty good, but a whole lot of people skim through them without ever realizing or accepting that they actually do have any sort of real problem. I hope this OP takes what they say and what they recommend very seriously.

quincy

These evaluation programs are pretty good, but a whole lot of people skim through them without ever realizing or accepting that they actually do have any sort of real problem. I hope this OP takes what they say and what they recommend very seriously.
I agree that there has to be some incentive to change one’s behavior beyond trying to escape a single jail sentence - otherwise another DUI is likely in the future. And courts are not fond of repeat offenders.

OwnKiwi96

Just an update if anyone is still monitoring. Attorney said that once all the pieces are in place for a defense he hopes to get me community service, having to pay a fine, and supervision. It's the "I Hope" part of his statement that scares me but I have nothing else to go on and no one else to listen to. Thanks.

quincy

Just an update if anyone is still monitoring. Attorney said that once all the pieces are in place for a defense he hopes to get me community service, having to pay a fine, and supervision. It's the "I Hope" part of his statement that scares me but I have nothing else to go on and no one else to listen to. Thanks.
Thanks for the update. If you have an opportunity, another update later also would be nice.

quincy

Will do. I'm still scared and nervous, but I guess if the attorney says it it's some good news right?
You generally have good reason to trust your attorney. If he has a positive feeling about the outcome, you should be reassured.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">