• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandparent visitation order question

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Just Blue

I sent a p.m. to Rushia...She went through a nasty GPV situation back in the day and is very knowledgeable in this area. Perhaps she will have some good "pointers" for you.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Thanks for your opinion. Hopefully her lawyer can mitigate the laundry list of contempt I have against her also.

You didn’t answer, however, if you thought a judge would let the two kids (teens) subject to this situation a voice in the matter.
Red to Red: You are completely out of line. You have raised these children to disrespect their (now late) father's family. There are situations where such a thing is justifiable, but this is not one of them.

You have been violating a court order in letter and spirit. That is not "opinion" - that is what you have stated, in your own words. The fact is that you had an acrimonious enough relationship with the paternal grandmother that she was successful in getting grandparent visitation.

You have to understand, that when you do not abide by the court order, you are in contempt. Grandma can *choose* not to exercise her court ordered visitation - that is not contempt. Your kids not showing up when she wishes to exercise her visitation - that's contempt. Hanging up on Grandma is just plain rude - it would be rude even by NY standards! And yes, I've known people who were found in contempt in NY Family Court for such behavior, so I cannot imagine the much more polite judges of LA being lenient.

And option you should have availed yourself of was a modification of the visitation orders when you moved to TX. You could still file to modify the current court order. However, the children should not be a part of this. Even if you convince a judge to hear them out, it would make you look worse than Grandma. You have no proof that you have tried to foster a positive relationship with Grandma, and a lot of indicators that you neither like nor respect the woman. There are no police reports of abuse, there is no therapist saying the kids are suffering as a result of their contact with Grandma.

You have consistently come off negatively here, so you really need a lawyer to speak on your behalf in court.

PomegranateRed

Red to Red: You are completely out of line. You have raised these children to disrespect their (now late) father's family. There are situations where such a thing is justifiable, but this is not one of them.

You have been violating a court order in letter and spirit. That is not "opinion" - that is what you have stated, in your own words. The fact is that you had an acrimonious enough relationship with the paternal grandmother that she was successful in getting grandparent visitation.

You have to understand, that when you do not abide by the court order, you are in contempt. Grandma can *choose* not to exercise her court ordered visitation - that is not contempt. Your kids not showing up when she wishes to exercise her visitation - that's contempt. Hanging up on Grandma is just plain rude - it would be rude even by NY standards! And yes, I've known people who were found in contempt in NY Family Court for such behavior, so I cannot imagine the much more polite judges of LA being lenient.

And option you should have availed yourself of was a modification of the visitation orders when you moved to TX. You could still file to modify the current court order. However, the children should not be a part of this. Even if you convince a judge to hear them out, it would make you look worse than Grandma. You have no proof that you have tried to foster a positive relationship with Grandma, and a lot of indicators that you neither like nor respect the woman. There are no police reports of abuse, there is no therapist saying the kids are suffering as a result of their contact with Grandma.

You have consistently come off negatively here, so you really need a lawyer to speak on your behalf in court.
The courts have documented her hatred toward me, and vice versa, so I’m not worried about it being obvious. And as much as I don’t foster a relationship with her (I was not directed to either), she is not positive about me either.

I’ve been on this site before and y’all are generally negative to people/flame people, so I’m not surprised y’all are the same today either

Anyway thanks for the opinions. Keep them coming if you have LEGAL ones (I’m not bothered by personal opinions so you can save em) or experience with a situation in LA or TX.

Just Blue

The courts have documented her hatred toward me, and vice versa, so I’m not worried about it being obvious. And as much as I don’t foster a relationship with her (I was not directed to either), she is not positive about me either.

I’ve been on this site before and y’all are generally negative to people/flame people, so I’m not surprised y’all are the same today either

Anyway thanks for the opinions. Keep them coming if you have LEGAL ones (I’m not bothered by personal opinions so you can save em) or experience with a situation in LA or TX.
Excuse me! I have been nothing but polite to you...and helpful. I went so far to ask a member with GPV background to come and help you. Just because we don't give you a "you GO GIRL!" doesn't mean we are negative.

PomegranateRed

Excuse me! I have been nothing but polite to you...and helpful. I went so far to ask a member with GPV background to come and help you. Just because we don't give you a "you GO GIRL!" doesn't mean we are negative.
I think you were generally polite. Negative, a little, but I did not accuse you of unpoliteness nor was I only addressing you. Thanks for your help.

Just Blue

I think you were generally polite. Negative, a little, but I did not accuse you of unpoliteness nor was I only addressing you. Thanks for your help.
How you have handled this situation is negative. A lot. Giving you correct advice to try to counteract your actions is not negative in the least. Geesh, and they say that us Yankees are rude. :rolleyes:

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
How you have handled this situation is negative. A lot. Giving you correct advice to try to counteract your actions is not negative in the least. Geesh, and they say that us Yankees are rude. :rolleyes:
I lived in Southeast TX for a few years. Pom's lack of manners is atypical.

Legal FACT, not opinion: you are violating the court order.
Legal FACT, not opinion: Grandma choosing to not exercise visitation is not contempt.

Neither of you should be disparaging the others to the children.

Opinion: you would have taught the children so much more by politing Grandma to death, and that would impress a judge far more too.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I'm guessing that there is a great deal more to this story... Given that, a year ago (roughly), you were posting about a CS order wrt Dad (and already in TX, this must be quite a recent order. Or it was handed down prior to Dad's passing. Filling in the blanks may yield you responses more helpful to you.

LdiJ

I'm guessing that there is a great deal more to this story... Given that, a year ago (roughly), you were posting about a CS order wrt Dad (and already in TX, this must be quite a recent order. Or it was handed down prior to Dad's passing. Filling in the blanks may yield you responses more helpful to you.
I suspect that was a different child. She said that the gpv order was done in 2014 and that they moved to TX 2 years ago.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">