• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Harrassment Citation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric7100

I was just cited for harassment by my local police department. One of my neighbors complained about the fact that I am always outside with my tablet. She thinks that I am constantly watching and recording her, her family, and her house. While I am in the process of being served the citation, the police have forbidden me to be outside with my tablet (even if I'm pointing it at the grass, in their words) or to be "watching" her (facing in the direction of her house). They will charge me for every instance that I appear to be watching her, or if I'm recording anywhere. Is this a lawful order?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What US state?
What, exactly, were you cited for? The statute # is what I'm looking for.

xylene

Wherever you are, I would suggest you comply with the police and alter your routine so you are not outside using your tablet.

I would also consider moving. Something you have done as far as the police is concerned is deemed to be creibly harassing this person.

adjusterjack

"Cited" for what?

I don't know of any law that prohibits anybody from sitting in front of their homes with a tablet no matter which way you are looking.

There's gotta be a lot more to this story.

Eric7100

"Cited" for what?

I don't know of any law that prohibits anybody from sitting in front of their homes with a tablet no matter which way you are looking.

There's gotta be a lot more to this story.
Since the neighbor moved in nearly 2 years ago, she has always thought that I am watching and filming her and her kids. Now I'm being charged with harassment.

xylene

https://www.legis.state.pa.us/WU01/LI/LI/CT/HTM/18/00.027.009.000..HTM

Being in your yard with an electronic device capable of recording audio and video could possibly fit several elements of that law.

You need to consider retaining a lawyer for your defense.

You have a number of defense possibilities.

I still strongly suggest you change your behavior and do not persist in using your tablet or any eletronic device capable or aparently capable of recording your in your yard, however you are holding it.

xylene

-A person commits the crime of harassment when, with intent to harass, annoy or alarm or another, the person

(2) follows the other person in or about a public place or places;

(3) engages in a course of conduct or repeatedly commits acts which serve no legitimate purpose

yeah quite possibly, especially if on notice about it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
-A person commits the crime of harassment when, with intent to harass, annoy or alarm or another, the person

(2) follows the other person in or about a public place or places;

(3) engages in a course of conduct or repeatedly commits acts which serve no legitimate purpose

yeah quite possibly, especially if on notice about it.
See...I would use the exact same section to prove my point, except I would do it like this: -A person commits the crime of harassment when, with intent to harass, annoy or alarm or another, the person ...

Without intent, there is no harassment. As I said, standing outside and using a tablet, in and of itself, is not harassment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">