• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Honking at road crew=picture taken, what the point?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

randomguy

Maybe he does know that specific law. Often times when there is a person that has to deal with idiots such as you are showing yourself to be, they learn the germane laws so they know who they can file a complaint on.

Other than that, say he doesn't know the law. That doesn't mean he can't call the police and attempt to file a complaint. He doesn't have to know the law. If he thinks the law has been violated, he can call the police and make a report.
Not seeing LAPD dealing with this, they will put a cop to catch violator but nothing more for infraction. Now if this was NYPD ye I would almost for sure get a ticket.

justalayman

Not seeing LAPD dealing with this, they will put a cop to catch violator but nothing more for infraction. Now if this was NYPD ye I would almost for sure get a ticket.
well, enjoy honking your horn then but don't be surprised if the "stop" sign never seems to be turned the other way. I know that is what I would do if I was the sign guy. You would be setting there for a long time.

CdwJava

If private party could sign a ticket I would have gotten it long time ago.
It is a public offense - a crime - and anyone is permitted to report it. The fact that no one has is simply your good fortune.

There is big difference between infraction and other crimes. When I was much younger I took couple of different administration of justice classes taught by watch commander for LAPD. He basically told the class unless cop is around you are off the hook when it comes to infraction. Now when it comes to other crimes it is totally different.
Actually, the only real difference is that no jail time is possible for infractions, and that jury trials are not an options for infractions. In all other respects infractions are to be treated as misdemeanors. While it is quite rare that infractions get filed as complaints, they CAN and they DO.

None of which excuses your juvenile, dangerous, and ignorant behavior.

davew128

If I had more free time on my hands, I'd be tempted to drive to LA over the weekend, find where trees are being trimmed, park, and wait for Knight Rider here to drive by honking.....

Why on earth would you "always honk at road crews"?
It's illegal:

V C Section 27001 Use of Horns
Use of Horns

27001. (a) The driver of a motor vehicle when reasonably necessary to insure safe operation shall give audible warning with his horn.

(b) The horn shall not otherwise be used, except as a theft alarm system which operates as specified in Article 13 (commencing with Section 28085) of this chapter.​

While I suppose they could file a complaint and the police would come out and write you a ticket, I would find that unlikely. Perhaps they are going to create a "Rude Drivers of California" website?

Since when can this state override the 1st amendment? These laws are passed by fascists legislatures. They are not constitutional (regardless of what any government judge says --- we don't need judges to tell us we cannot complain with our horns about our government activities) laws. Honk away and don't listen to these fascists who think our constitution can be twisted in such a manner.

justalayman

Since when can this state override the 1st amendment? These laws are passed by fascists legislatures. They are not constitutional (regardless of what any government judge says --- we don't need judges to tell us we cannot complain with our horns about our government activities) laws. Honk away and don't listen to these fascists who think our constitution can be twisted in such a manner.
so, you are back under a new name. Great (that was sarcastic).

You do not have a first amendment right to honk your horn.

CdwJava

You can complain in a great many other ways than using a horn - a device on a vehicle that you need the state's permission to operate on public property. You cannot yell "fire" in a crowded theater, threaten people with harm, tell malicious lies, and a great many other things that are done with speech or forms of speech. As with all forms of communication there are reasonable limits to it.

The state can regulate how you use a motor vehicle. In this case, his actions can cause a hazard. Because unnecessary honking can cause a hazard to others the state has deemed it necessary to enact limitations. I believe you will find that every state has some form of limitation on the use of a vehicle horn.

Listen to all these fascists -- we either have the right to free speech or we don't. It's pretty clear that honking your horn to complain about government work projects is a complaint about the government. It's covered by the 1st amendment -- people are so easily manipulated to join our ever-increasingly fascist government.

Proserpina

Listen to all these fascists -- we either have the right to free speech or we don't. It's pretty clear that honking your horn to complain about government work projects is a complaint about the government. It's covered by the 1st amendment -- people are so easily manipulated to join our ever-increasingly fascist government.

I believe the saying goes,

"Defecate or remove oneself from the cooking utensil".

So to speak. :cool:

If you want things to change - then move for change. Whining on an internet forum isn't going to accomplish a whole heckuva lot, now is it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">