• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Honking at road crew=picture taken, what the point?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CdwJava

Listen to all these fascists -- we either have the right to free speech or we don't. It's pretty clear that honking your horn to complain about government work projects is a complaint about the government. It's covered by the 1st amendment -- people are so easily manipulated to join our ever-increasingly fascist government.
You use that word a lot ... do you really have any idea what it means?

Study a little Constitutional law. No right is unfettered and absolute. None. If you think they should be, then vote for politicians that will vote your way and approve Supreme Court Justices that believe as you do. Until that time, we live under the laws as they are, not as YOU want them to be.

netfocus

I wasn't aware that a private citizen can have a cop write up a traffic violation ticket and then sign it; is this in most states? How do these hold up in court? Would seem to be their word vs yours..

justalayman

taking that as you have would is no different than recording a shootout between the police and some person and then reviewing nothing but the section where the suspect was shot by the police. It gives no context for the action.

When you get the rest of the story, come on back and we'll discuss it.

Watching sensationalistic journalism does not give one the whole picture but only what the journalist wishes to convey as his message. Obviously the intent is to show the police in a bad light with no explanation as to why the action was taken and no information as to what was actually taking place.

I_Got_Banned

I wasn't aware that a private citizen can have a cop write up a traffic violation ticket and then sign it; is this in most states? How do these hold up in court? Would seem to be their word vs yours..
How is the *PROCEDURAL-ly* any different that you... "walking up and assaulting a private citizen"???

Its a public offense... And if a member of the public (a private citizen) has a complaint and if the officer feels it has merit and can possibly be pursued then yes, they can write it up. Since the officer did not witness the "event", the citizen would have to appear and testify to what he saw... In this case it happens to be an infraction, which in California, gets filed by the officer. If it were a more serious offense and one that can be classified as a misdemeanor, then the city/district attorney gets to make the call on whether to file charges or not! Similarly, since the district attorney did not witness the event, the witness has to appear to testify!

CdwJava

They can sign a citizen's arrest for the citation, or, report it to the police who will then forward the offense (even an infraction) to the prosecutor for a complaint.

When you get the rest of the story, come on back and we'll discuss it.
I did look into the PD's official response to the video. They said that the officer felt that his life was in danger & needed to pepper spray all those dangerous kids sitting handcuffed.

You get a different story? Discuss.

justalayman

I did look into the PD's official response to the video. They said that the officer felt that his life was in danger & needed to pepper spray all those dangerous kids sitting handcuffed.

You get a different story? Discuss.
"There was no way out of that circle," Spicuzza said. "They were cutting the officers off from their support. It's a very volatile situation."

Chris Wong, a student protester, said he was one of those sprayed, but he looked down and didn't get a full dose. He said students then circled the police and tried to hold their ground.
the kids were not handcuffed as far as I know. They simply linked arms in an attempt to avoid being removed by physical force.

The kids were breaking the law. They were ordered to disperse and they refused. What would you suggest they should have done?

The kids were breaking the law. They were ordered to disperse and they refused. What would you suggest they should have done?
So, chemical agent use is OK under these circumstances?? The PD's office did not even argue this point so I think not...they claimed that the officer felt threatened. You do not address this at all.

They should have hauled them away..it does not look like they were offering any resistance that would have justified the use of a chemical agent.

Its just another example of the actions of a fascists government. I this happened with a police force outside the US, you would have been jumping up and down saying human rights violation.

Its the Gandhi technique of resistance...a proper response is NOT chemical agent use.

Would you agree that the officer was not in any danger? And if not, you explain how he was...he certainly did not act as such, very slow movements are not indicative of this conclusion.

justalayman

startedone;2952374]So, chemical agent use is OK under these circumstances?? The PD's office did not even argue this point so I think not...they claimed that the officer felt threatened. You do not address this at all.
see the following

They should have hauled them away..it does not look like they were offering any resistance that would have justified the use of a chemical agent.
No resistance? What do you call setting on the ground interlinking your arms with all the others? First, that is refusal to comply with a lawful order and then, the action itself is resisting the physical attempts to move them.

Its just another example of the actions of a fascists government. I this happened with a police force outside the US, you would have been jumping up and down saying human rights violation.
Not me. In most of the countries we get news about, seeing somebody pepper sprayed would be an improvement to the typical police tactics used. Heck, I just watched a video from Syria where a guy had his eye gouged out for resisting the police demands.

Its the Gandhi technique of resistance...a proper response is NOT chemical agent use.
so, what do you suggest? Simply ignore the protesters and let them sit there? Obviously that isn't going to happen. By using pepper spray first, there will be less actual violent physical resistance when taking action to move them. Ultimately, fewer injuries will be experienced by the protesters.

Would you agree that the officer was not in any danger?
it wasn't that officer. It was all the cops but the video does not show enough of the area to understand what was being described.

And if not, you explain how he was...he certainly did not act as such, very slow movements are not indicative of this conclusion.
as a cop, you are taught to not show fear. It gives the opponent a psychological advantage. You never show fear because it suggests you are vulnerable which makes a person that might not have taken some action more willing to take some additional actions.

justalayman

In other words blowing a car horn is basically "illega". Then why do cars have them?
that is no more of a valid argument than: shooting a person is basically illegal so why do they even make guns.

Each is legal in an allowed situation. Each is legal to use in certain circumstances. It just happens that blowing your horn for no real reason is not one of those circumstances where it is not allowed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">