• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to keep defunct cars without having to pay insurance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mr.Toad

What is the name of your state?NC

We keep two old cars parked in front of our house, in addition to the car we use for transportation. I want to keep the cars for several reasons that are important to me. The neighbor called the city code office to report a non-existent problem (she occasionally takes her moods out on us, this has been going on for over a decade), and when the code officers came, out, they discovered we lack "tags" for the defunct cars. We are willing to purchase tags if need be, but then insurance would be required, which is ridiculous for cars that will never move again. They are not an eyesore; many households in our neighborhood have extra cars parked in their yard, and there is no aesthetic difference between our defunct cars-in-the-yard and their non-defunct cars-in-the-yard. (The neighborhood is relatively tidy and tasteful, by the way). My question is, how can I convert these defunct cars into "lawn ornaments" or some other title that does not require insurance? At what point is a "vehicle" no longer a vehicle? Could I have the engines removed? Again, these cars do not appear as "junk" and no one would have any reason to complain about the appearance of our yard. We are classy, courteous people who happen to have a neighbor who is usually angry about something, and will sometimes lash out at us for entertainment. Thank you for any advice!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Many communities have laws/ordinances against inoperative vehicles being stored where they can be viewed by the public. Move the inoperative vehicles in to your fenced in yard. If you truly wish to display the cars, then move to a community that allows it.

quincy

Did the code officer say you needed tags for the cars you park in front of your house? If so, the odds are pretty good that you need tags.

This is not an unusual city ordinance, by the way. Many cities require tags.

Mr.Toad

Did the code officer say you needed tags for the cars you park in front of your house? If so, the odds are pretty good that you need tags.

This is not an unusual city ordinance, by the way. Many cities require tags.
Hello, Thank you for your reply. Yes, we were told we need tags. I just do not see the need to purchase insurance, which would be required if we have tags. Is there any way to convert the vehicles into something that does not require tags and therefore insurance? I have examined the legal definitions for vehicles according to NC law and these cars do not fit the definition. They look perfectly fine. To be clear, our yard is excellent and a neat hedgerow nearly conceals the view of the cars from the road.

quincy

Hello, Thank you for your reply. Yes, we were told we need tags. I just do not see the need to purchase insurance, which would be required if we have tags. Is there any way to convert the vehicles into something that does not require tags and therefore insurance? I have examined the legal definitions for vehicles according to NC law and these cars do not fit the definition. They look perfectly fine. To be clear, our yard is excellent and a neat hedgerow nearly conceals the view of the cars from the road.
How exactly is the Code Ordinance worded? Do you have a copy of it?

Storing the vehicles in a garage, either on your property or off your property in a storage unit/yard, can help you escape the costs of registration/tags/insurance (although if the vehicles have value, insurance is a good idea).

Very generally speaking, though, if the vehicles are visible to the public, they will violate most of the city codes I am familiar with if they are inoperable and/or not properly registered/tagged.

adjusterjack

Is there any way to convert the vehicles into something that does not require tags and therefore insurance?
Other than sending them to a junk yard? No.

Despite your opinion, somebody does consider them junk and an eyesore.

Can you put them in your back yard behind a fence so they can't be seen from the street?

If not, and they are that important to you, you're stuck. Buy insurance and buy the tags. Then get some use out of the cars.

quincy

Mr.Toad, is there a reason why you want to keep these vehicles? Are you looking at some point in time in restoring them or driving them?

Mr.Toad

Other than sending them to a junk yard? No.

Despite your opinion, somebody does consider them junk and an eyesore.

Can you put them in your back yard behind a fence so they can't be seen from the street?

If not, and they are that important to you, you're stuck. Buy insurance and buy the tags. Then get some use out of the cars.
Hello, thank you for your reply. I think I was unclear; the neighbor called about something else (she claims our hedgerow is an obstruction, which it most certainly is not, and if this were true she could have easily spoken with us about it rather than calling city code). No one has ever complained about these vehicles. They basically cannot be seen from the street because of the hedgerow. City code found something else to report once they determined the hedgerow was not a problem. Does this change anything?

Last edited:

Mr.Toad

Storing the vehicles in a garage, either on your property or off your property in a storage unit/yard, can help you escape the costs of registration/tags/insurance (although if the vehicles have value, insurance is a good idea).

Very generally speaking, though, if the vehicles are visible to the public, they will violate most of the city codes I am familiar with if they are inoperable and/or not properly registered/tagged.
Can we just put ports over them? I was unclear; the neighbor complained about our hedgerow, and once city code arrived and determined the hedgerow was not a problem, they found something else to report. No one has ever complained about the vehicles.

Mr.Toad

Mr.Toad, is there a reason why you want to keep these vehicles? Are you looking at some point in time in restoring them or driving them?
They are old family cars and I am attached to them, for one thing. I would like to use the parts for sculpture at some point in the future. They will never be used as vehicles again.

Mr.Toad

I need to find a copy of the local code ordinance. I was looking at NC legal sites for information.

adjusterjack

Can we just put ports over them? I was unclear; the neighbor complained about our hedgerow, and once city code arrived and determined the hedgerow was not a problem, they looked for something else to report. No one has ever complained about the vehicles.
Doesn't change anything. You're violating city code regardless of how it was discovered.

They are old family cars and I am attached to them, for one thing. I would like to use the parts for sculpture at some point in the future. They will never be used as vehicles again.
Doesn't matter.

You're on the city's radar. As long as the cars are there and unregistered you'll have trouble. Take parts off them and call them yard art and things will get even worse.

I need to find a copy of the local code ordinance.
Give us the name of the city and we can probably look it up.

FlyingRon

North Carolina requires all cars to have insurance (or other security for the financial responsibility) whether driven or not. The state will REVOKE your plates if they find you are uninsured. I've ridden with the county sheriff who has gone out and removed revoked plates from vehicles.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I understand what the OP is trying to do here. His basic question is how far the vehicle has to be disassembled before it is no longer considered a vehicle, thus removing the requirement for titling and registration. For example, if he were just to have the body of the vehicle with no frame, would it need to be titled/registered? What if it was the body on a frame with wheels, but no drivetrain?

I think the OP's question would be best answered by contacting the NC DMV directly and speaking with them. He'll probably need to take this up higher at the DMV than just a front-desk worker.

In any case, this won't magically solve his problem with the city. Even if he can get around the titling/registration requirements, the city is still not going to allow a junk vehicle to just sit in view of the public.

FlyingRon

The code elsewhere defines a junked vehicle as one which is not registered and is partially dismantled or can not be self-propelled or moved in a manner in which it was intended to move. Lacking an engine or wheels would fit that category.

However, it's the fact that he really has "junk" vehicles that's getting him in trouble with his locals. He can't have it both ways. Once it's either drivable OR he puts a plate on it, it's going to need insurance. As I said, I can guarantee that the plates will be revoked and subject to confiscation and other penalties if he has it registered and fails to maintain insurance.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">