• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to keep defunct cars without having to pay insurance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The code elsewhere defines a junked vehicle as one which is not registered and is partially dismantled or can not be self-propelled or moved in a manner in which it was intended to move. Lacking an engine or wheels would fit that category.

However, it's the fact that he really has "junk" vehicles that's getting him in trouble with his locals. He can't have it both ways. Once it's either drivable OR he puts a plate on it, it's going to need insurance. As I said, I can guarantee that the plates will be revoked and subject to confiscation and other penalties if he has it registered and fails to maintain insurance.
No argument there.
But...what if he takes the front left fender off and creates a lawn swing with it...and then uses the trunk as a planter. At what point does it going from being a "vehicle" to being "items sourced from a vehicle"?

FlyingRon

There's nothing he can do that makes it not a vehicle subject to the law if he still has it registered.

If he deregisters it, most of the jurisdictions I know will not worry about the fin. rep. law as long as the thing is either stored away or incapable of being driven. They won't even look twice at an unregistered vehicle that's not being driven except to enforce the junk/abandoned vehicle laws and ordinances.

If the car is REGISTERED it doesn't even take a snoopy sheriff's deputy to find it. The state will note the lack of insurance and suspend the plates automatically. Computers are marvelous things. If a deputy decides to type in the plate number for any reason, he'll likely take action (confiscate the plate at least).

Zigner

There's nothing he can do that makes it not a vehicle subject to the law if he still has it registered.
But that brings us to the question of how one "unregisters" a vehicle in NC...
It looks like it's simply a matter of turning in the plates to the state, as explained at https://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/title-registration/insurance-requirements/Pages/insurance-plates.aspx. Maybe that is the information the OP needs.

EDIT: I've just re-read the original post. It seems that the OP has already turned in the plates and the cars are no longer registered. That brings us back to the municipalities requirements and the point at which the municipality would stop considering them inoperative vehicles and start considering them items sourced from vehicles. The OP is not going to get away with having unregistered cars sitting in view, so he'll have to break them down considerably before they're no longer "vehicles".

FlyingRon

I suspect the odds are stacked against him if they are pursuing the vehicles as junk/nuisance whatever. If it is recognizable as once being a car, it likely fits into the the statute.

Zigner

I suspect the odds are stacked against him if they are pursuing the vehicles as junk/nuisance whatever. If it is recognizable as once being a car, it likely fits into the the statute.
I agree - but if the vehicle is chopped in to pieces and spread out, then those pieces are not a vehicle.

Mass_Shyster

What is the name of your state?NC

We keep two old cars parked in front of our house, in addition to the car we use for transportation. I want to keep the cars for several reasons that are important to me. The neighbor called the city code office to report a non-existent problem (she occasionally takes her moods out on us, this has been going on for over a decade), and when the code officers came, out, they discovered we lack "tags" for the defunct cars.
So? Did they fine you or tell you to move them or wag their fingers at you and say "neener neener"?

We are willing to purchase tags if need be, but then insurance would be required, which is ridiculous for cars that will never move again.
It's a financial decision to pay fines (if applicable) or pay for insurance and tags. Talk to your insurance agent and find out what the least expensive insurance available is. Since you're not driving them, I suspect you don't need collision or comprehensive. You should find out what the absolute minimum is to get tags.

You should read carefully the code that you are apparently violating. If you register the vehicles in another state, will that cover you? Can you register them in a state that doesn't require insurance, and simply slap those tags on the car? That might involve giving the cars to someone in that other state.

You can also insure and register the car for a short period of time, wait until you are off the code inspector's radar, then cancel the insurance and take your chances.

Lots of options.

quincy

Mr.Toad could stack one car atop the other, perhaps with something sticking out between the cars (like a road sign or guard rail) and title his sculpture “Car Sandwich.” Or he could stand his vehicles on end and bury an end partially in the ground, like the “Cadillac Ranch” car sculpture in Amarillo, Texas.

Zigner

If a "sculpture" has a VIN number, it is a junk car. Let's be real.
Interesting...

So an engine block (including the VIN plate) is placed on a pedestal in the middle of a yard, it's a car?

A car can be cut in to recognizable pieces that are NOT a car.

Zigner

Mr.Toad could stack one car atop the other, perhaps with something sticking out between the cars (like a road sign or guard rail) and title his sculpture “Car Sandwich.” Or he could stand his vehicles on end and bury an end partially in the ground, like the “Cadillac Ranch” car sculpture in Amarillo, Texas.
Yes, he could, but that doesn't mean it's allowable per the city's code ;)

adjusterjack

if the vehicle is chopped in to pieces and spread out, then those pieces are not a vehicle.
True, but those pieces may violate a different ordinance.

Or he could stand his vehicles on end and bury an end partially in the ground, like the “Cadillac Ranch” car sculpture in Amarillo, Texas.
https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-fuqCxsUuFuo/ULVTL4zQcGI/AAAAAAAABdw/Y4FEsjN7kSM/s1600/006.JPG

Or Carhenge in Nebraska.

http://www.infoniac.com/uimg/carhenge-monument-nebraska.jpg

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">