• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to keep defunct cars without having to pay insurance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

Can you imagine the curiosity future peoples will feel when they excavate "Carhenge" in 1 or 2 thousand years?
They will either be in awe of the ability of the humans of our age to create such a massive marvel - or they will shake their heads and wonder why the humans of our age didn’t spend their time more wisely ... like on finding a cure to the plague or diverting the asteroid that eventually killed us all.

Mr.Toad

I understand what the OP is trying to do here. His basic question is how far the vehicle has to be disassembled before it is no longer considered a vehicle, thus removing the requirement for titling and registration. For example, if he were just to have the body of the vehicle with no frame, would it need to be titled/registered? What if it was the body on a frame with wheels, but no drivetrain?

I think the OP's question would be best answered by contacting the NC DMV directly and speaking with them. He'll probably need to take this up higher at the DMV than just a front-desk worker.

In any case, this won't magically solve his problem with the city. Even if he can get around the titling/registration requirements, the city is still not going to allow a junk vehicle to just sit in view of the public.
Thank you, I will try contacting the DMV. I appreciate your addressing my primary question.

Mr.Toad

So? Did they fine you or tell you to move them or wag their fingers at you and say "neener neener"?

It's a financial decision to pay fines (if applicable) or pay for insurance and tags. Talk to your insurance agent and find out what the least expensive insurance available is. Since you're not driving them, I suspect you don't need collision or comprehensive. You should find out what the absolute minimum is to get tags.

You should read carefully the code that you are apparently violating. If you register the vehicles in another state, will that cover you? Can you register them in a state that doesn't require insurance, and simply slap those tags on the car? That might involve giving the cars to someone in that other state.

You can also insure and register the car for a short period of time, wait until you are off the code inspector's radar, then cancel the insurance and take your chances.

Lots of options.
Good suggestions. Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">