• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need to take a day off from work for a tooth extraction, what can my employer do to

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MI

Sorry if this is the wrong part of the forum to put this, I wasn't sure where else it might fit.

So I had to have an emergency dental procedure the other day because I had a sever toothache. The dentist was able to "fix" me temporarily, but I need the tooth extracted. I spoke to the dental surgeon today and they need to sedate me to extract the tooth because of the difficulty involved and the location of the tooth.

The problem is that we are short staffed right now because the first shift support guy is off on vacation. Meaning it's only me and the boss supporting two shifts. I'm in I.T. by the way. They have no Saturday appointments, so I need to have it on a Friday. I have two options. #1 I swap shifts with my boss and have the surgery in the evening on Friday. Or take the whole day off and have it in the morning.

I would prefer to have it in the morning on Friday because I won't be able to eat or drink after midnight and the longer I wait, the harder it's going to be to not eat or drink anything. Especially having to work like that for 9 hours! Also, I work nights, so I would be getting almost no sleep on Thursday night/Friday morning before having to start back to work.

I can't wait until next Friday when it would be more convenient for work. The pain is getting greater and greater each day. Not to mention it's getting harder and harder to eat with this broken tooth and the constant pain.

I'm worried that I could be putting my job in jeopardy. My boss isn't happy with me right now. I had a slip and fall a few months ago that is still plaguing me; I actually need surgery soon because of it. I hate to keep adding fuel to the fire, but it's not like I'm choosing to have these medical issues right now.

Any advice would be appreciated!

Beth3

All I can suggest is that you explain the situation to the boss and the fact that the tooth extraction just can't wait for a more convenient time when the other person returns from vacation. Then ask the boss what would work best for him in scheduling the tooth extraction on Friday - whether morning or evening.

You're giving him an option on the timing will let him know you're trying to minimize the impact at work.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I would suggest, since swapping shifts with the other guy and having it done in the evening IS an option, that you choose that option.

CSO286

Sure - in 1850 when barbers also did tooth extraction. Just grab a pair of pliers, put your foot on his chest for leverage, and yank that sucker out. :rolleyes:
Doncha fergit to be sterlizen da pliers with da whiskey.....

:cool::D

Sure - in 1850 when barbers also did tooth extraction. Just grab a pair of pliers, put your foot on his chest for leverage, and yank that sucker out. :rolleyes:
My barber took exception to this post. lol You folks think that a tooth extraction takes long??? Provide your estimated times ... anything under 3 hrs means a whole day off if not needed.

Proceed..

CSO286

My barber took exception to this post. lol You folks think that a tooth extraction takes long??? Provide your estimated times ... anything under 3 hrs means a whole day off if not needed.

Proceed..

I don't need estimated times. I recall quite vividly.

Well, I had extractions done less than a month ago. Infection located under my back molars. The extraction itself does not take long, HOWEVER, the anestesia they put me on left me groggy and fuzzy for most of the day. I had my procedure done at 8 am was on my way back home by 10, but was not well enough work till the next day.

Ever read the post op anestesia instructions? Do not make important decsions, you may not drive yourself home, you should not be alone for the next 24 hours.

OP problaby shouldn't be heading into work right after oral surgery if he is subject to the anesthesia.

MM---please stop posting.

W

Willlyjo

I don't need estimated times. I recall quite vividly.

Well, I had extractions done less than a month ago. Infection located under my back molars. The extraction itself does not take long, HOWEVER, the anestesia they put me on left me groggy and fuzzy for most of the day. I had my procedure done at 8 am was on my way back home by 10, but was not well enough work till the next day.

Ever read the post op anestesia instructions? Do not make important decsions, you may not drive yourself home, you should not be alone for the next 24 hours.

OP problaby shouldn't be heading into work right after oral surgery if he is subject to the anesthesia.

MM---please stop posting.
Hmmm...I partially agree with MM here. I had 2 teeth extracted and one of them didn't come out cleanly (leaving behind bits of a tooth embedded in my gum). I was under an anethetic to take away the pain while they extracted the teeth.

I was totally conscious during the procedure and was given a prescription for my pain afterwards. The medication was very effective and I was able to go to work that day (2 hours later) and perform my duties without a hitch.

Seems to me that for a simple extraction (or not so simple in my case) one doesn't need to be heavily sedated and can easily go back to work immediately after such procedure.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hmmm...I partially agree with MM here. I had 2 teeth extracted and one of them didn't come out cleanly (leaving behind bits of a tooth embedded in my gum). I was under an anethetic to take away the pain while they extracted the teeth.

I was totally conscious during the procedure and was given a prescription for my pain afterwards. The medication was very effective and I was able to go to work that day (2 hours later) and perform my duties without a hitch.

Seems to me that for a simple extraction (or not so simple in my case) one doesn't need to be heavily sedated and can easily go back to work immediately after such procedure.
Willy -

THIS OP needs to be under sedation. Your situation was entirely different.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">