• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is entering fake billing info illegal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emek

State:New York

Idk if this is the right place to post this question, Is entering fake billing info illegal?

If you enter the right payment information but fake billing info, is the act by itself illegal?

Last edited:

Just Blue

Idk if this is the right place to post this question, Is entering fake billing info illegal?

If you enter the right payment information but fake billing info, is the act by itself illegal?
1. What state?
2. Billing information for what type of bill? ...and for what purpose?

Just Blue

sigh...

What type of bill? For what reason ?

LdiJ

How can someone enter the right payment information but faking billing information? The payment info and the billing info have to match in order for it to be accepted.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I THINK what the poster is asking is if they can enter the correct credit card number but perhaps a fake name and address.

If so, it's not illegal but it won't work. The information is checked and if the name and address you give them does not match the actual name and address attached to the number you entered, the transaction will fail.

Which, I see, is what LdiJ just said.

Emek

How can someone enter the right payment information but faking billing information? The payment info and the billing info have to match in order for it to be accepted.
I THINK what the poster is asking is if they can enter the correct credit card number but perhaps a fake name and address.

If so, it's not illegal but it won't work. The information is checked and if the name and address you give them does not match the actual name and address attached to the number you entered, the transaction will fail.

Which, I see, is what LdiJ just said.
If it doesn't match and the transaction is accepted, does that cause any legal trouble for any end/side? Im pretty sure i may have done that in the past(maybe it was a bug in the system so idk).

LdiJ

If it doesn't match and the transaction is accepted, does that cause any legal trouble for any end/side? Im pretty sure i may have done that in the past(maybe it was a bug in the system so idk).
You couldn't have done it in the recent past, but perhaps back when the internet was pretty new it might have been possible. What I don't understand is why it would be to your benefit to do something like that.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Seems to me it would depend on what you entered that's fake. It would be much easier to answer you with any degree of accuracy if you would simply state what happened.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You couldn't have done it in the recent past, but perhaps back when the internet was pretty new it might have been possible. What I don't understand is why it would be to your benefit to do something like that.
Privacy concerns would be my bet.

Emek

Seems to me it would depend on what you entered that's fake. It would be much easier to answer you with any degree of accuracy if you would simply state what happened.
Ok
First Name, Last Name, Address 1,Address 2,street address, city, state/province,country/region, postal code, email address, phone number, company name, Address line, Business name, Birth date.

Which of these can get you in trouble if you fake them in your billing info during purchase(of course if you don't break other laws) ?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">