• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is entering fake billing info illegal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

Ok
First Name, Last Name, Address 1,Address 2,street address, city, state/province,country/region, postal code, email address, phone number, company name, Address line, Business name, Birth date.
So you entered a credit card number and credit card expiration date and 3 number code - but provided an incorrect billing address and incorrect personal identifying information?

The card generally wouldn’t be accepted for billing if there was a mismatch in information.

Emek

So you entered a credit card number and credit card expiration date and 3 number code - but provided an incorrect billing address and incorrect personal identifying information?

The card generally wouldn’t be accepted for billing if there was a mismatch in information.
If it did can it cause any legal trouble for any end involved in the purchase/accepting the purchase?

bcr229

The validation can vary based on the settings in the particular vendor's shopping cart/checkout system. As an example when I purchase gasoline I am sometimes prompted for the zip code but not the full billing address on the card. Online systems may be set up for a match on the card holder's full name/street/city/state/zip associated with the billing address on the card. The tightest validations are on small, valuable, easily resold merchandise and the shopping cart will not process the transaction unless both the shipping and billing addresses match.

quincy

If it did can it cause any legal trouble for any end involved in the purchase/accepting the purchase?
Possibly, yes, especially if the card was reported as lost or stolen.

The one using the card potentially could be arrested. If someone uses a stolen card, enters the correct card information, enters phony billing information, and has the ordered package delivered to someone other than the card holder’s billing address, the police could be waiting at the address of the recipient of the package.

Why are you asking? Did you find or use a found/stolen credit card?

Last edited:

Emek

Possibly, yes, especially if the card was reported as lost or stolen.

The one using the card potentially could be arrested. If someone uses a stolen card, enters the correct card information, enters phony billing information, and has the ordered package delivered to someone other than the card holder’s billing address, the police could be waiting at the address of the recipient of the package.

Why are you asking? Did you find or use a found/stolen credit card?
"If you enter the right payment information" thats what i originally wrote in my question...if you use your own credit card..

adjusterjack

Which of these can get you in trouble if you fake them in your billing info during purchase(of course if you don't break other laws) ?
I don't think any of that can get you criminally prosecuted (if that's what you mean by "in trouble").

Seems to me that the worst that can happen is you don't get the item you purchased.

I can't understand why you'd want to do it if you are legitimately buying a product or service.

But I can see it, and have done it, for a variety of other reasons. I've often used fake email addresses and phone numbers to avoid spam and telemarketers if it's a website where I just want entry for some reason and don't need to be contacted for verification.

Last edited:

quincy

"If you enter the right payment information" thats what i originally wrote in my question...if you use your own credit card..
If you use your own credit card, why would you want to provide incorrect billing information? Are you purchasing an online service or are you purchasing an item for delivery?

LdiJ

I don't think any of that can get you criminally prosecuted (if that's what you mean by "in trouble").

Seems to me that the worst that can happen is you don't get the item you purchased.

I can't understand why you'd want to do it if you are legitimately buying a product or service.

But I can see it, and have done it, for a variety of other reasons. I've often used fake email addresses and phone numbers to avoid spam and telemarketers if it's a website where I just want entry for some reason and don't need to be contacted for verification.
I have done that too, but never in conjunction with actually buying something. Like when I wanted to research the cost of a certain kind of insurance. I knew that I would get calls from insurance agents if I gave correct information and I didn't want that. I just wanted a general idea of costs.

quincy

Emek, perhaps you could give us an example. For what are you using your credit card?

It would be rare today that you could purchase either a product or service if your credit card information did not match the personal identifying information (name, address, possibly phone number or email address) that is connected to the card. You would get an “error” message when inputting the billing information. The card is generally connected to the address of the person who was issued the card.

If you are just seeking online information and not purchasing anything, then you generally would not need to enter any credit card information at all. Providing a false name or email address in that case would not be a problem.

Your intent behind providing false information matters.

Emek

I think everyone asked at least twice. :)

Maybe Emek is afraid of revealing too much personal information. In fact, I bet anything that “Emek” is not even his real name. Haha.
I think everyone asked at least twice. :)

Maybe Emek is afraid of revealing too much personal information. In fact, I bet anything that “Emek” is not even his real name. Haha.
Smart guy, btw i can't reveal anything(just looking for a general answer)

First Name, Last Name, Address 1,Address 2,street address, city, state/province,country/region, postal code, email address, phone number, company name, Address line, Business name, Birth date.

Do you get in legal trouble if you enter these information of another person, but pay in full?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">