• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Landlord keeps hot water heater on a timer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

zddoodah

Once again: "what type of residence are you in (room in someone's house, apartment, SFR, etc.)?" "Landlord lives adjacent to me" doesn't answer that question.

onelse

Once again: "what type of residence are you in (room in someone's house, apartment, SFR, etc.)?" "Landlord lives adjacent to me" doesn't answer that question.
It's a house and I'm in the converted garage, so we share a common wall, but landlord is on far side of their place.

Denac42896

My landlord has the hot water heater on a timer and is insistent it remain this way. This is a new phenomena to me. Does anyone have feedback? Can this be rightfully done by a landlord? It's really not much of an issue, but a curious topic.
I think it should not be that way

onelse

A lot of people seem to have problems with thermodynamics.

Heat Transfer seems to stymie the same folks.

Perhaps the landlord should invest in a tank-less water heater.
To the LL's credit, they wanted to install a tank-less one, but would have had to do an electrical upgrade - so the electrician determined. Will the timer really save on $, or is this more of an illusion? As others have said, it seems like it would initially take more juice to heat up the not-as-hot water from the timer cycle in the morning, and neutralize any potential financial benefits or savings. Just my hunch...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
To the LL's credit, they wanted to install a tank-less one, but would have had to do an electrical upgrade - so the electrician determined. Will the timer really save on $, or is this more of an illusion? As others have said, it seems like it would initially take more juice to heat up the not-as-hot water from the timer cycle in the morning, and neutralize any potential financial benefits or savings. Just my hunch...
At BEST, it will take the same energy...and that's in a perfect system.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I believe your hunch has merit.

My dad used to manually turn off the water heater every night. He failed thermodynamics twice, and only passed the 3rd time because he promised to never take another course having baby thermodynamics as a prereq.

(It's really not that hard. I think he just has a mental block.)

Now that he is older, he keeps the water heater and furnace on.

FarmerJ

Most tankless 220 Volt electric hot water heaters have to be on a minimum of a 40 amp circuit and if its a standard tank now it could be on a 220 20amp breaker or a 30 amp breaker so it would need new wiring to handle electric on demand, SO if your curious call the electric utility and ask them if they have OFF peak services for hot water heating and if they do then to mail it to you and then you hand it to your LL . other wise your LL cant deny you water that is hot enough to satisfy your city ordinances and your city can tell you what the magic number of degrees are OR you can let them tell your LL when they come out to look at the set up when you complain to them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">