• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Loss of vehicle in abusive relationship

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

justalayman

Withholding and/or weilding access to sexual intimacy as an emotional weapon is pretty standard fare in emotionally abusive relationships and is textbook emotional abuse.

That's not some radical out of left field idea that turns anyone into a stepford wife or permits spousal rape. Please.
It’s also a right of every person in the US to not engage in sex with another person. If the guy wasn’t happy with the lack of intimate relations, he was free to sow his oats elsewhere.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It’s also a right of every person in the US to not engage in sex with another person. If the guy wasn’t happy with the lack of intimate relations, he was free to sow his oats elsewhere.
Not that it matters...but ESPECIALLY since they're not even married.

justalayman

NEXT TIME ON MORAL COURT
Moral court? Having the right to refuse to engage in sex with another person has nothing;t to do with morals. It is purely a legal issue.

Are you suggesting morally the girl has to give it up? Why? Because of the car? Maybe she cleaned the house rather that having sex with the guy.

Bottom line: she is neither morally nor legally obligated to have sex with a person she is not married to. Only then does the possibility of a moral obligation come into play but still not a legal one.

xylene

Interestingly, you are the one who seems to be posting on a moral basis.
You denounced their unmarried cohabitation. Is there some other take away from that than "No wonder he got taken, it was an unchristian shack up"

xylene

Maybe she cleaned the house rather that having sex with the guy.
OR maybe it was actually an emotionally abusive relationship.

Does it upset you that withholding sex can be emotionally abusive? And that it is common in emotionally abusive relationships? And that simple truth doesn't violate anyone's body intergrity or obligate anyone to have sex. And to be clear, the emotional abuse wouldn't be fixed by having sex.

Zigner

You denounced their unmarried cohabitation. Is there some other take away from that than "No wonder he got taken, it was an unchristian shack up"
Where???

ETA: I think you misunderstood my earlier post. I was simply pointing out that, even if there was some sort of legal requirement for a spouse to have sex with the other party to the marriage (there's not), it doesn't matter, since they're not married in the first place.

I don't give a flying fig if they shack up

Zigner

Does it upset you that withholding sex can be emotionally abusive? And that it is common in emotionally abusive relationships? And that simple truth doesn't violate anyone's body intergrity or obligate anyone to have sex. And to be clear, the emotional abuse wouldn't be fixed by having sex.
The takeaway from this is that you believe that it's possible to abuse somebody by refusing to have sex with them, which means that, in order to NOT be abusive, one MUST submit to sex, even if it's against their will. In other words, in your view, one cannot say no to sex.

justalayman

It doesn’t upset me at all because the guy had a right to leave at any time. If he stayed, it,was his choice to accept the conditions.

xylene

"I'm not going to have sex with you because you're a worthless piece of trash."

According to senior members, that's not emotional abuse, and any discussion of how and why it would be means you like rape.

Just Blue

"I'm not going to have sex with you because you're a worthless piece of trash."

According to senior members, that's not emotional abuse, and any discussion of how and why it would be means you like rape.
It "might" be emotionally abusive...(not the sex part)...But the friend had the option of saying OK..Buh-bye.

I wonder if the friend is aware his good buddy is posting his VERY PERSONAL matters on the internet?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">