• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mailboxes Placed ON my land NOT the easement by numerous neighbors and usps rural carrier driver told them where to put

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

thank u I did send then all certified letters only 2 accepted the other 6 were refused and came back to me today. they figure if they dont respond, or ginore the issue it will keep there box on my land, Im hoping the parked truck deters them and weans tor them innto getting used to picking up their mail in town for now. the boxes will still be stainding there, but they wont get mail deleivery as the carrier will go around the parked car and not deleiverable to the boxes. no hoa no city ordinance theyll ccall the sheriff Im sure, no police out there, but since i already called sheriff hes aware of the encroachment doubt hed do anything for them, as he said to me, sheriff dont get involveld in postal issues, trespassing yes, postal no
You have a most unusual problem but it sounds like you have a plan on how to handle it. I hope it works. :)

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I'm still wondering if it would be cheaper to simply pay to have the mailboxes moved...but that's just me I suppose.

And that whole line about you not wanting to pay to move them off your property is very hollow (to me) considering how your entire problem is that you want to get rid of the property.

peoplearestrange

I'm still wondering if it would be cheaper to simply pay to have the mailboxes moved...but that's just me I suppose.

And that whole line about you not wanting to pay to move them off your property is very hollow (to me) considering how your entire problem is that you want to get rid of the property.
I not paying trespasses who are in the WRONG to move off my land, my value system doesnt allow me to violate it, and I will pay the $500 for the lawyer is doing demand letters to them, he said 85% of folks get the heck off the land ususally, if they dont he said we proceed against them trspassing which I am prepared to do so, the boxes will come down said he laywer, NO ifs ands or buts, and he said my right to have down IMMeDIATELY, not 30 days, theyve already had time time is up thats life folks ridiculous situation and I will stand by my value system on this and $$ wll be spent and in the end I will be victorious in judgement for reimbursement and the boxes gone. I have NO doubt on that. I am a beleiver. I will pay an atrorney to fight the good/corect fight I wll NOT pay a trespasser/encroacher, as the are in the WRONG and i wont support encroachment/trespassing onto other folks land. NO reason for anyone to do that. and folks that DO need to know it is NOT accceptable and is punishable, some folks dontt just roll over and PAY a trespasser /encroacher to vacate their land, neve would be an option I would consider.

quincy

I not paying trespasses who are in the WRONG to move off my land, my value system doesnt allow me to violate it, and I will pay the $500 for the lawyer is doing demand letters to them, he said 85% of folks get the heck off the land ususally, if they dont he said we proceed against them trspassing which I am prepared to do so, the boxes will come down said he laywer, NO ifs ands or buts, and he said my right to have down IMMeDIATELY, not 30 days, theyve already had time time is up thats life folks ridiculous situation and I will stand by my value system on this and $$ wll be spent and in the end I will be victorious in judgement for reimbursement and the boxes gone. I have NO doubt on that. I am a beleiver. I will pay an atrorney to fight the good/corect fight I wll NOT pay a trespasser/encroacher, as the are in the WRONG and i wont support encroachment/trespassing onto other folks land. NO reason for anyone to do that. and folks that DO need to know it is NOT accceptable and is punishable, some folks dontt just roll over and PAY a trespasser /encroacher to vacate their land, neve would be an option I would consider.
I hope the demand letters from the attorney do what you want them to do.

Good luck.

justalayman

Immediately is not a reality.

If you look outside right now you’ll see the mailboxes. See, immediately didn’t happen.

30 days may be reasonable or it might be not enough time or too much. If the folks don’t move the mailboxes upon receipt of the letter you’ll have to sue them. Depending on what the owners want to do and how quickly the cases can be docketed, it could be a few weeks or several months. If the owners are savvy and wish to delay this, it could be months before it’s resolved. Then a court is likely to allow a reasonable amount of time to comply with the court’s order. Add another month for that.

Say, didn’t you say you were selling your property?

While you want to argue you aren’t going to give in and pay the cost to move the mailboxes, you need to understand that may be the only way to get the mailboxes moved somewhat quickly. If delay is a problem, you might want to reconsider being so inflexible.

It sounds like you’re being penny wise and pound foolish.

Oh, and reimbursement for your legal costs; not going to happen.

LdiJ

I still don't understand why its even a problem in selling his land. I see mailbox clusters like that in rural areas all the time. I don't know why a buyer would even care.

quincy

I still don't understand why its even a problem in selling his land. I see mailbox clusters like that in rural areas all the time. I don't know why a buyer would even care.
It does not seem at all unusual to me that a buyer might find it objectionable that a row of neighbors' mailboxes are sitting 15'-20' into the property and a mail truck must drive over the property to reach these mailboxes.

LdiJ

It does not seem at all unusual to me that a buyer might find it objectionable that a row of neighbors' mailboxes are sitting 15'-20' into the property and a mail truck must drive over the property to reach these mailboxes.
I do understand that if the mailboxes were actually 15-20 feet off of the road and the mail truck had to actually drive OFF the road 15-20 feet to get to them, that it could be (probably would be) a problem.

However, I am not at all sure that is what the OP is describing. In addition, the problem should have been noticed when the first mailbox was placed there...not a cluster of mailboxes later. They didn't all get placed there at once and a mail truck driver would likely complain if he had to drive 15-20 feet into grass, brush and other growing things to access mailboxes.

In addition, I wonder about easements for utilities and long terms plans for widening roads. The OP insists that the mailboxes are on his land and I believe him, but I am wondering if he is taking easements into consideration.

quincy

I do understand that if the mailboxes were actually 15-20 feet off of the road and the mail truck had to actually drive OFF the road 15-20 feet to get to them, that it could be (probably would be) a problem.

However, I am not at all sure that is what the OP is describing. In addition, the problem should have been noticed when the first mailbox was placed there...not a cluster of mailboxes later. They didn't all get placed there at once and a mail truck driver would likely complain if he had to drive 15-20 feet into grass, brush and other growing things to access mailboxes.

In addition, I wonder about easements for utilities and long terms plans for widening roads. The OP insists that the mailboxes are on his land and I believe him, but I am wondering if he is taking easements into consideration.
Actually, peoplearestrange said exactly that. Reread what was written.

quincy

they drive right over 15ft into my land, they worn it out so it looks like part of the 30ft easment(road) by now, no his vehicle has worn out my vegetation and shrubery so that it is down to the dirt, he/she does not have to get out the vehicle but I have seen then sometimes get out
yes the proof is the recent survey I paid for, shows it on, and the surveyor stakes and ground pin my parcel and measured from the road/easment how far encroached IN my land the boxes are 15 ft
See the posts quoted above.

peoplearestrange

thnk u all update:
I did NOT park the truck in front, as th usps said it would be blockin g the mail deleivery, felony and the lawyer I called and paid said not to park there.
howeever, I finally DID find how to file a complaintt in the usps , after being lied to by about 15 of their employees, and them NOT giving me a superivosr name/phn/email that I had asked for over and over. 3 had said they mailed letters to the folks telling them they are encroached and to remove boxes . but they NEVER had, but after lawyer sent usps and folks the letter /demand, I see NOW mail has been STOPPED by usps and they told me NOW i can do whatever I want to any property(boxes) or anything else that someone encroaches/trespasses , puts illegally on my property. since Im not a lawyer, not sure what i can really do? take them down myself? I did give the folks in person notice in June and certifieed letter notice in July and then i hired a laywer to send them all letters in regular mail, he said as an officer of court? he could send reg class mail and so he did . NONE of the people responded to laywer and Still boxes sit on my land, even tho usps has STOPPED mail to them, and the buyers have NOT wanted the land because its 15t in encroached from the easmeentt and runs along 20 ft. so a 15x20 ft secttion is taken over, I know i woudnt buy an encroached land, if there were other NON encroached land avaialbe, as its not a wise choice to buy and land that has trespass or encroachment issues. Post office admitted they found out WHO, which postal employee told the folks to put their boxes on my land, I reported who it was, as the people told me and pointed to her as she drove by to deliver mail in the boxes on my land!! Conveniently she is gone from the route now(either ttransferred retired, or fired) and usps claims cant interview her for the investigation/complaint as shes no longer with the usps.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">