• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Jersey hypodermic needle law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mjpayne

What is the name of your state? NJ

I was browsing the internet/hitting clickbait and stumbled upon 2C:36-6, which forbids the possession of hypodermic needles. I don't use illegal drugs (or any drugs that require the use of a syringe), but I do own multiple syringes, primarily for mixing epoxies. These are NOT the mixing plastic tips that come with epoxy plungers, but actual syringes (with metal needles) bought on ebay.

Could I be found guilty under this law? It says "adapted for the use of a controlled dangerous substance or a controlled substance" and I suppose the needle of the syringe could conceivably be used to trap and inject any sort of liquid, whether it's a glue or a drug.

Edit: No, I haven't been arrested for this. I was just curious if I could be.

Last edited:

LdiJ

What is the name of your state? NJ

I was browsing the internet/hitting clickbait and stumbled upon 2C:36-6, which forbids the possession of hypodermic needles. I don't use illegal drugs (or any drugs that require the use of a syringe), but I do own multiple syringes, primarily for mixing epoxies. These are NOT the mixing plastic tips that come with epoxy plungers, but actual syringes (with metal needles) bought on ebay.

Could I be found guilty under this law? It says "adapted for the use of a controlled dangerous substance or a controlled substance" and I suppose the needle of the syringe could conceivably be used to trap and inject any sort of liquid, whether it's a glue or a drug.

Edit: No, I haven't been arrested for this. I was just curious if I could be.
I think that you probably could be since its against the law to possess them. Therefore I think that the question is more, would you be arrested rather than could you be. I have no idea what you mean by "mixing epoxies" so I have no idea of the context of your situation.

However, I think I can safely say that if you have no other reason to have contact with the police, its unlikely that you will ever be arrested.

mjpayne

I think that you probably could be since its against the law to possess them. Therefore I think that the question is more, would you be arrested rather than could you be. I have no idea what you mean by "mixing epoxies" so I have no idea of the context of your situation.

However, I think I can safely say that if you have no other reason to have contact with the police, its unlikely that you will ever be arrested.
Epoxies are binary glues that have a long shelf life and must be mixed in identical quantities to work correctly. If you have too much of one part and too little of another, you end up with a permanently sticky substance instead of a glue that cures into a solid plastic and provides a good bond. Sometimes these glues are sold in bottles and the easiest way to mix them in the correct portions is with syringes.

Can this be used as a defense?
ftp://www.njleg.state.nj.us/20102011/AL11/183_.HTM

Last edited:

LdiJ

Epoxies are binary glues that have a long shelf life and must be mixed in identical quantities to work correctly. If you have too much of one part and too little of another, you end up with a permanently sticky substance instead of a glue that cures into a solid plastic and provides a good bond. Sometimes these glues are sold in bottles and the easiest way to mix them in the correct portions is with syringes.

Can this be used as a defense?
ftp://www.njleg.state.nj.us/20102011/AL11/183_.HTM
That link doesn't appear to work. However again, you gave an explanation of epoxies but no context. I would assume that you are heavily using epoxies in some unexplained context since you feel it necessary to use syringes.

mjpayne

That link doesn't appear to work. However again, you gave an explanation of epoxies but no context. I would assume that you are heavily using epoxies in some unexplained context since you feel it necessary to use syringes.
I fixed it.

I use epoxies to fix plastics. I don't use them "heavily." However, whenever I do use them, I need them to work correctly, the same way you would need your car to start when you turn the key whether you start it once a month or twice a day.

adjusterjack

I have no idea what you mean by "mixing epoxies"
Epoxy cements typically come in separate applicators in one package, either in tubes or with their own syringe type applicators:

https://www.homedepot.com/s/epoxy?NCNI-5

The idea of taking the epoxy compounds out of their original dispensers and putting them into syringes like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Momok-Pack-juice-Liquids-cigs/dp/B072XFYXVB/ref=sr_1_4/134-4692772-4573247?ie=UTF8&qid=1538284538&sr=8-4&keywords=Hypodermic+Needle

Is a bit bizarre.

And while 2C:36-6 may prohibit possession, you have overlooked 2C:36-6a which addresses exceptions to that prohibition:

https://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2017/title-2c/

mjpayne

Epoxy cements typically come in separate applicators in one package, either in tubes or with their own syringe type applicators:

Sometimes they do. Other times they are sold in separate bottles. The latter is what I have.
The idea of taking the epoxy compounds out of their original dispensers and putting them into syringes like these:

https://www.amazon.com/Momok-Pack-juice-Liquids-cigs/dp/B072XFYXVB/ref=sr_1_4/134-4692772-4573247?ie=UTF8&qid=1538284538&sr=8-4&keywords=Hypodermic+Needle

Is a bit bizarre.

And while 2C:36-6 may prohibit possession, you have overlooked 2C:36-6a which addresses exceptions to that prohibition:

8. The possession of a hypodermic syringe or needle by a consumer who participates in, or an employee or volunteer of, a sterile syringe access program established pursuant to sections 3 and 4 of P.L.2006, c.99 (C.26:5C-27 and C.26:5C-28), as amended by P.L.2016, c.36, shall not constitute an offense pursuant to N.J.S.2C:36-1 et seq. This provision shall extend to a hypodermic syringe or needle that contains a residual amount of a controlled dangerous substance or controlled substance analog.

Unfortunately, I am not part of a sterile syringe access program, so the exception does not apply to me.

mjpayne

Why can't you use epoxy applicators? I see no reason why you need to use syringes.
I use them in small batches. Applicators typically require you to mix larger batches and waste the substance if you don't need all of it. I realize there are other ways of doing it, but for my particular case I found that syringes are the most convenient and cost effective.

justalayman

Is a bit bizarre.

I’ve used epoxies purchase in quantities from a few ounces to 30 gallon drums. You do use a separate measuring device.

BUT

Epoxies would not work well with a hypodermic needle and that’s what is outlawed. Syringes don’t necessaril have needles attached.

Many people use syringes to measure and sometimes administer meds to children.

LdiJ

I use them in small batches. Applicators typically require you to mix larger batches and waste the substance if you don't need all of it. I realize there are other ways of doing it, but for my particular case I found that syringes are the most convenient and cost effective.
Is there any particular reason why you continue to be so vague about what you are using the epoxies for? Perhaps people would be less incredulous about your usage if you would just tell us what you are actually doing with them.

mjpayne

I’ve used epoxies purchase in quantities from a few ounces to 30 gallon drums. You do use a separate measuring device.

BUT

Epoxies would not work well with a hypodermic needle and that’s what is outlawed. Syringes don’t necessaril have needles attached.

Many people use syringes to measure and sometimes administer meds to children.
This is what I'm talking about:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AD65-HighQuality10MLSyringesDisposablePlasticNutrient-Sterile-Pet-Medical-For/253848485604

You're right, the needle is not attached, but a detachable needle does come with it. I found the needle is quite convenient for getting gasoline out of a can to degrease surfaces.

justalayman

Epoxy cement?

Epoxy compounds are used for things other than as adhesives. When you see something advertised as “carbon fiber”, the resin used could be epoxy (or a less expensive type of resin for lower cost parts)

mjpayne

Is there any particular reason why you continue to be so vague about what you are using the epoxies for? Perhaps people would be less incredulous about your usage if you would just tell us what you are actually doing with them.
I already answered this in post #5. I mostly use them for repairs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">