• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Jersey hypodermic needle law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

justalayman

This is what I'm talking about:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/AD65-HighQuality10MLSyringesDisposablePlasticNutrient-Sterile-Pet-Medical-For/253848485604

You're right, the needle is not attached, but a detachable needle does come with it. I found the needle is quite convenient for getting gasoline out of a can to degrease surfaces.
Now you’re getting into weird things. Gasoline in a small enough container such that you could use a hypo needle to withdraw it is sounding very odd

And I do use a med that requires a syringe. I can buy syringes without needles. Those are purchased separately so you can purchase the gage and length desired. That way you carry a few sizes of syringes and a bunch of different sizes of needles

mjpayne

The type you are purchasing could be problematic.
I didn't realize something so innocuous could be so illegal.

I'm still trying to figure out the amendment they applied to the law which allows the sale of syringes in quantities 10 or fewer without a prescription. Is it legal to sell/buy, but illegal to possess? That just doesn't make sense. Can someone clarify for me?

mjpayne

Now you’re getting into weird things. Gasoline in a small enough container such that you could use a hypo needle to withdraw it is sounding very odd
I don't follow. Small enough container? As long as a syringe fits in the opening, you can use it to extract gasoline out of a 55 gallon drum if you want. Since I need it for degreasing, I only need a little bit, so I'm not going to pour it directly out of a 5 gallon can. I use a syringe to get a little bit.

quincy

I didn't realize something so innocuous could be so illegal.

I'm still trying to figure out the amendment they applied to the law which allows the sale of syringes in quantities 10 or fewer without a prescription. Is it legal to sell/buy, but illegal to possess? That just doesn't make sense. Can someone clarify for me?
It is not the purchase and possession of your syringes that is a problem. The problem comes with any evidence that might connect the purchase and possession of the syringes to an illegal use.

Here is a link to Section 2C-36-1: https://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2017/title-2c/section-2c-36-1/

Drug paraphernalia is only drug paraphernalia because of its use with drugs. Your syringes are for epoxy application so your possession of the syringes would not be (or should not be) found illegal.

mjpayne

It is not the purchase and possession of your syringes that is a problem. The problem comes with any evidence that might connect the purchase and possession of the syringes with an illegal use.

Here is a link to Section 2C-36-1: https://law.justia.com/codes/new-jersey/2017/title-2c/section-2c-36-1/

Drug paraphernalia is drug paraphernalia because of its use with drugs. Your syringes are for epoxy application so would not be (or should not be) found illegal.
So as long as I don't use heroin with them, I should be fine? OK. I was just worried because the law (minus the amendment) sounded like simply having hypodermic needles/syringes was grounds for a conviction.

mjpayne

I give up.
Are you asking me for an example? I'm not sure how that's pertinent to the legal aspect of this. I use them to repair stuff at home. If you want an example, I once fixed the broken frame of a pair of corrective glasses.

quincy

So as long as I don't use heroin with them, I should be fine? OK. I was just worried because the law (minus the amendment) sounded like simply having hypodermic needles/syringes was grounds for a conviction.
Use the syringes for epoxy application and do not use them with drugs. The syringes are drug paraphernalia when used with drugs.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Many people use syringes to measure and sometimes administer meds to children.
Or pets...

As for epoxies.... I dunno. Dad used to use epoxy quite a bit for various projects. He used really high tech, sophisticated tools for measuring and mixing... Toothpicks for small amounts, wood coffee stirrers for larger ones. I don't recall his ever having a problem.

What is the name of your state? NJ

I was browsing the internet/hitting clickbait and stumbled upon 2C:36-6, which forbids the possession of hypodermic needles. I don't use illegal drugs (or any drugs that require the use of a syringe), but I do own multiple syringes, primarily for mixing epoxies. These are NOT the mixing plastic tips that come with epoxy plungers, but actual syringes (with metal needles) bought on ebay.

Could I be found guilty under this law? It says "adapted for the use of a controlled dangerous substance or a controlled substance" and I suppose the needle of the syringe could conceivably be used to trap and inject any sort of liquid, whether it's a glue or a drug.

Edit: No, I haven't been arrested for this. I was just curious if I could be.
The key word is hypodermic, defined as; of or relating to the parts beneath the skin.
This would be one of those times common sense should be applied to the law as your epoxy is not intended for injection beneath the skin.
If you take the law literally even the ownership of one of these is an offense.
https://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-5011-Stainless-Steel-Seasoning/dp/B000KDZ1VA/ref=br_lf_m_h4ecp7g5sxga4zj_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&s=lawn-garden

mjpayne

The key word is hypodermic, defined as; of or relating to the parts beneath the skin.
This would be one of those times common sense should be applied to the law as your epoxy is not intended for injection beneath the skin.
If you take the law literally even the ownership of one of these is an offense.
https://www.amazon.com/Bayou-Classic-5011-Stainless-Steel-Seasoning/dp/B000KDZ1VA/ref=br_lf_m_h4ecp7g5sxga4zj_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&s=lawn-garden
Yes, that's what I was doing, wondering if it could technically be used against someone even absent any obvious intravenous drug use.

quincy

Yes, that's what I was doing, wondering if it could technically be used against someone even absent any obvious intravenous drug use.
Probably not. There has to be evidence of illegal drug use for a legal-to-own product to be considered drug paraphernalia.

Probably not. There has to be evidence of illegal drug use for a legal-to-own product to be considered drug paraphernalia.
Then of course there is my case where the judge ruled that if the equipment that had been used to grow pounds of marijuana could be used for an alternative legitimate purpose, it had to be returned and it was no longer drug paraphernalia.

mjpayne

Then of course there is my case where the judge ruled that if the equipment that had been used to grow pounds of marijuana could be used for an alternative legitimate purpose, it had to be returned and it was no longer drug paraphernalia.
Maybe I'm wrong, but it seems there are two laws potentially related to this: the general drug paraphernalia law and the hypodermic syringe law. It appears the latter does not require as much evidence of being drug-related as the former law you're talking about.

xylene

I have used hypodermic syringes with needles to mix and apply small amounts of epoxy with high levels of precision to make small repairs and fabricate replacement parts on small electronic's such as a pedometer and flip number clock radio as examples. Sometimes you need to get the epoxy in just the right spot with zero excess or misplacement.

I find this use in no way preposterous. I ve done it numerous times.

I certainly would not carry them around for a night on the town.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">