• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Spouse Income ($$$$)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

haiku

DSShopper said:
I have read alot of info on the web stating a new spouse's income can be considered in extrememe situations "a parent who coluntarily or intentinally quits work or reduces income, or who intentionally remain unemployed or underemployed and relies on a subsequent spouse's income."

The amount my X pays was determined 10 years ago - and has never changed/adjusted.

I am concerned that our situation falls into the "extrememe situation" category. ???
it depends on if your state considers CP income and how. Have you looked at your specific states guidelines? you would be able to get a rough estimate if you know what he makes for a living now.

It is possible that the age of your children and if you were working before, that an income could be imputed to you. At the same time, your ex could be making more or less money also, and that could also affect your support amount.

DSShopper

Crazed98 said:
Your ex is just upset that you don't work, your husband has a better paying job, and he has to pay over a 1000 a month adding to the household's yearly income.
The 1k a month currently is just under their school tuition. So none of the support goes to our household income.

Remember the 1k a month was set up several years ago when both the children were in a private elementary school. Now they are in a private "prep" school, which their father is an alumni (not me) and the tuition is over triple what it was in elementary school.

So basically he is paying for their education - We pay for everything else...my new spouse even provides the health dental plans for the kids. My spouse is very irritated at "Dad" he feels he should be nice and quite the comments because the way he sees it...Dad is getting off easy.

Me - I'm stuck in the middle!!!

haiku

DSShopper said:
The 1k a month currently is just under their school tuition. So none of the support goes to our household income.

***Well no, it does technically go towards household income. if 'his" 1000 dollars pays the school tuition that frees up 1000 dollars of "your" money to go towards the household bills, of which school tuition is one. ****

Remember the 1k a month was set up several years ago when both the children were in a private elementary school. Now they are in a private "prep" school, which their father is an alumni (not me) and the tuition is over triple what it was in elementary school.

So basically he is paying for their education - We pay for everything else...my new spouse even provides the health dental plans for the kids. My spouse is very irritated at "Dad" he feels he should be nice and quite the comments because the way he sees it...Dad is getting off easy.

***Well no, it does technically go towards household income. if 'his" 1000 dollars pays the school tuition that frees up 1000 dollars of "your" money to go towards the household bills, of which school tuition is one. ****

Crazed98

DSShopper said:

I understand that you are using the money to pay for school. But does the money go directly to the school or does it go to you and then you decided to use it to pay for the school?

The money is going into the household. Because without it I am guessing you would either have to take your children out of prep school and go to public or give up one of your household luxuries like filet minot every Tuesday night or what ever you rich people do. ;)

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
DSShopper said:
Nope. You're choosing not to work, and therefore not to make a financial contribution to the household. You're also choosing to share your ex's comments with your current spouse. He's choosing to make snotty remarks, just as your ex is. All three of you could use attitude adjustments.

haiku

stealth2 said:
Nope. You're choosing not to work, and therefore not to make a financial contribution to the household. You're also choosing to share your ex's comments with your current spouse. He's choosing to make snotty remarks, just as your ex is. All three of you could use attitude adjustments.
:cool:

DSShopper

stealth2 said:
First of all...let me add - I did not choose to quit my job - unfortunately my spouse and I both worked for the same corp. (myself-19 yrs, him 7) in different areas of the country. However once we got married, one of us had to quit due to employee handbook)- obviously it was me. I also cannot work for a competitor as he is an executive. Therefore - I HAD to give up not a job but my CAREER. I understand it was my choice not to immediately seek employment in another field, however we both felt with all the changes going on it would benefit the children if I am around for them during the transition. Knowing that when I enter a new field it will require me to start at the bottom and work my way back up which will require more than the average work week. AND during the transition having their mother gone 10 - 12 hours a day would be setting the new marriage, step father relationship, etc. up for failure. So ALL in ALL I think we have made the right choice.
As for the comment of having "filet mignon" I really don't think that was neccessary. Like I said everyone's had problems. We have worked hard for what we have, but money DOES NOT BUY HAPPINESS, OR ELIMINATE LIFE'S TRIALS AND TRIBULATIONS. We are grounded people who have worked hard - appreciate and are thankful for what we have accomplished. But remember we earned it...so please keep in mind sacrafices had to be made through our life to get where we are.

HOWEVER - I do agree with the comment regading both my X and my current spouse could stop the comments. I hate being caught in the middle.

The way I look at it...the children are mine and my X's and we are the responsible parties to support them. Anything my new spouse brings to the table (in addition to what I would have brought if I still worked) should be a bonus - it should not be expected.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
DSShopper said:
First of all...let me add - I did not choose to quit my job - unfortunately my spouse and I both worked for the same corp. (myself-19 yrs, him 7) in different areas of the country. However once we got married, one of us had to quit due to employee handbook)- obviously it was me. I also cannot work for a competitor as he is an executive. Therefore - I HAD to give up not a job but my CAREER. I understand it was my choice not to immediately seek employment in another field, however we both felt with all the changes going on it would benefit the children if I am around for them during the transition. Knowing that when I enter a new field it will require me to start at the bottom and work my way back up which will require more than the average work week. AND during the transition having their mother gone 10 - 12 hours a day would be setting the new marriage, step father relationship, etc. up for failure. So ALL in ALL I think we have made the right choice.
And this is still voluntary unemployment.

shortfuse18951

Need some advice

I have some questions and was wondering if anyone out there had any advice for me.....

I live in Pennsylvania and am paying child support for 2 children. My x's and my income were very close so I have a 52% and she has a 48% requirement for the kids.. My question is this: Recently she has started a new relationship and he has been living with her. I know he contributes to the household csts and mortgage. would they then consider his income if I were to file for a reduction in support .???

One other question...

I carry the medical/dental insurance for the kids and myself... What is the obligation for medical co pays on medicine.. am I required to also pay half of that cost as well even if I carry the insurance and pay it??

Hopefully you can help

Thanks in advance

shortfuse18951 said:
I have some questions and was wondering if anyone out there had any advice for me.....

I live in Pennsylvania and am paying child support for 2 children. My x's and my income were very close so I have a 52% and she has a 48% requirement for the kids.. My question is this: Recently she has started a new relationship and he has been living with her. I know he contributes to the household csts and mortgage. would they then consider his income if I were to file for a reduction in support .???

One other question...

I carry the medical/dental insurance for the kids and myself... What is the obligation for medical co pays on medicine.. am I required to also pay half of that cost as well even if I carry the insurance and pay it??

Hopefully you can help

Thanks in advance
Start your own thread. But as a quick response, no they will not take boyfriend's income in to consideration. Secondly, what does your co say with regard to co-pays?

shortfuse18951

co pay

My court order dosent say anything about co pays.. When we went to domestic relations to have the paperwork completed nothing was said about co pays. They only asked if I was carrying the insurance and since I was I got a deduction due to the fact. Nothing was even written or said regarding co pays

Thanks

thgcat

haiku said:
personally thats worth a shoulder shrug to me. It goes both ways, beleive me. Everytime we buy a new car or something of that nature, and the ex wife gets wind of it, we get the whole obnoxious "must be nice" comments, and from the kids "mommy says you have the money for..."

Some people just refuse to take any responsibility for thier choices.

I don't see it as anything to get alarmed about really.

AMEN haiku

Crazed98

Your situation is not extreme. There are mothers with less than $20,000 coming into the house a year with 3+ children that is extreme.

Your children do not have to go to a private school, you can get a job, you don't have to buy your son a car.

You wanting more money is not necessary you are just being greedy.

My comment about filet mignon was just a joke and an example of unnecessary costs. The more money you have the more you spend and the more you want.

DSShopper

Crazed98 said:
Your situation is not extreme. There are mothers with less than $20,000 coming into the house a year with 3+ children that is extreme.

Your children do not have to go to a private school, you can get a job, you don't have to buy your son a car.

My comment about filet mignon was just a joke and an example of unnecessary costs. The more money you have the more you spend and the more you want.
1. I never stated my situation is extreme

2. I am aware my children do not have to go to private school, it is a choice we make as parents. I also know I do not HAVE to buy my son a car, and that I can get a job. I am thankful that I don't have to work, can buy my son a car, most of all THANKFUL for a new spouse that supports these things. As you know over 64% of second marriage fail due to the trial and tribulations of blended families.

3. I NEVER SAID I WANTED MORE MONEY....I was just wondering if my new spouse's income could be used to reduce the support my X is paying. Never once did I mention and increase.

LdiJ

Crazed98 said:

Can I point out that this thread is NOT about her asking for more money. She has not done so and doesn't appear to be doing so.

Its her ex that is giving her the impression that he would like to pay less...BECAUSE her new husband makes so much money.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">