• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New Spouse Income ($$$$)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Crazed98

DSShopper said:
1. I never stated my situation is extreme

2. I am aware my children do not have to go to private school, it is a choice we make as parents. I also know I do not HAVE to buy my son a car, and that I can get a job. I am thankful that I don't have to work, can buy my son a car, most of all THANKFUL for a new spouse that supports these things. As you know over 64% of second marriage fail due to the trial and tribulations of blended families.

3. I NEVER SAID I WANTED MORE MONEY....I was just wondering if my new spouse's income could be used to reduce the support my X is paying. Never once did I mention and increase.

I misread what you wrote here about your extreme situation.

DSShopper said:
I have read alot of info on the web stating a new spouse's income can be considered in extrememe situations "a parent who coluntarily or intentinally quits work or reduces income, or who intentionally remain unemployed or underemployed and relies on a subsequent spouse's income."

The amount my X pays was determined 10 years ago - and has never changed/adjusted.

I am concerned that our situation falls into the "extrememe situation" category. ???

In the 4th post your question was answered:

dynomight77 said:
no, your EX cannot get his support reduced due to your new spouse's income, your new husbands income does not count towards CS obligations. However I would not attempt to have it increased on your end (because you are not working) because the court would likely say you are willfully un-employed and base the calcualtions on what you previously made.

B

betterthanher

DSShopper said:
First of all...let me add - I did not choose to quit my job - unfortunately my spouse and I both worked for the same corp. (myself-19 yrs, him 7) in different areas of the country. However once we got married, one of us had to quit due to employee handbook)- obviously it was me. I also cannot work for a competitor as he is an executive. Therefore - I HAD to give up not a job but my CAREER. I understand it was my choice not to immediately seek employment in another field, however we both felt with all the changes going on it would benefit the children if I am around for them during the transition.
That's considered voluntary unemployment. Just because what you and your new spouse "feel", it does not relieve you of your financial responsibility towards the children.

Knowing that when I enter a new field it will require me to start at the bottom and work my way back up which will require more than the average work week. AND during the transition having their mother gone 10 - 12 hours a day would be setting the new marriage, step father relationship, etc. up for failure. So ALL in ALL I think we have made the right choice.
And what does this have to do with your financial responsibility towards your children? None.

As for the comment of having "filet mignon" I really don't think that was neccessary. Like I said everyone's had problems. We have worked hard for what we have, but money DOES NOT BUY HAPPINESS, OR ELIMINATE LIFE'S TRIALS AND TRIBULATIONS. We are grounded people who have worked hard - appreciate and are thankful for what we have accomplished. But remember we earned it...so please keep in mind sacrafices had to be made through our life to get where we are.
Guess what...you're not the only ones in this world who've had to bust their hump to get where they are. So stop the 'special treatment, please' innuendos.

HOWEVER - I do agree with the comment regading both my X and my current spouse could stop the comments. I hate being caught in the middle.
Oh stop already with this "I'm the victim" stuff. You're not in the middle -- you are voluntarily unemployed and if you think you don't deserve some of the comments from your ex, you're wrong. You brought this on all by yourself.

The way I look at it...the children are mine and my X's and we are the responsible parties to support them. Anything my new spouse brings to the table (in addition to what I would have brought if I still worked) should be a bonus - it should not be expected.
This entire comment above -- especially the first sentence -- is very hypocritical. You aren't contributing a penny towards the children. Your new spouse is. And then you have the nerve to say "it should not be expected." Then go get a job!

DSShopper

LdiJ said:
Can I point out that this thread is NOT about her asking for more money. She has not done so and doesn't appear to be doing so.

Its her ex that is giving her the impression that he would like to pay less...BECAUSE her new husband makes so much money.

THANK YOU! :)

DSShopper

betterthanher said:
That's considered voluntary unemployment. Just because what you and your new spouse "feel", it does not relieve you of your financial responsibility towards the children.

And what does this have to do with your financial responsibility towards your children? None.

Guess what...you're not the only ones in this world who've had to bust their hump to get where they are. So stop the 'special treatment, please' innuendos.

Oh stop already with this "I'm the victim" stuff. You're not in the middle -- you are voluntarily unemployed and if you think you don't deserve some of the comments from your ex, you're wrong. You brought this on all by yourself.

This entire comment above -- especially the first sentence -- is very hypocritical. You aren't contributing a penny towards the children. Your new spouse is. And then you have the nerve to say "it should not be expected." Then go get a job!
Obviously I didn't articulate myself clearly...

If my spouse chooses to cover my income (the same as I was making when I was employed)great! Anything he brings to the table above and beyond that should be the "BONUS"
Remember- I am not concerned about increasing the support.

I am not lazy - nor do I feel like I am a victim - Thank You!

Any rate, I can see this board has some very angry people... There is a reason why some of my life has turned out so great! I am a good person!

haiku

PSST.....most of us who spend time here read many many posts from people who do not receive a dime of child support, people who screwed up royally and cannot afford to pay support, people whose ex's have fled with thier children, so they have not seen them in months, people who have to send thier children to an abusive ex, because they cannot get solid proof of the obvious abuse. etc...etc....

You don't have a "problem". What I see here is 3 pages of wasted time. And we wonder why REAL cases of abuse of the system in family court get treated without being looked at individually? its because people like you clog things up.....

Until your ex actually acts on his comments and takes you to court, then you have a problem.......

DSShopper

haiku said:
PSST.....most of us who spend time here read many many posts from people who do not receive a dime of child support, people who screwed up royally and cannot afford to pay support, people whose ex's have fled with thier children, so they have not seen them in months, people who have to send thier children to an abusive ex, because they cannot get solid proof of the obvious abuse. etc...etc....

You don't have a "problem". What I see here is 3 pages of wasted time. And we wonder why REAL cases of abuse of the system in family court get treated without being looked at individually? its because people like you clog things up.....

Until your ex actually acts on his comments and takes you to court, then you have a problem.......
Sorry, I was under the impression this was a message board for "free advice relating to child support questions." I wasn't aware it was limited to only those that do "not receive a dime." I will make sure I no longer post - I suggest you change the name to "child support - only for those who do not receive a dime"
Sorry to have taken up your time and wasting 3 pages - and by the way, I have never clogged up the family court system.
I'm sure the fact that as you say many of you don't receive a dime makes you feel like anyone that does should just shut up and be happy. So the next time someone gets mugged or raped they should shut up and be happy they weren't murdered..and not clog up our court system. That's some theory you have...glad you aren't in politics or government.

Again, sorry for taking up your time.
I hope you have a good day!

DSShopper said:
Sorry, I was under the impression this was a message board for "free advice relating to child support questions." I wasn't aware it was limited to only those that do "not receive a dime." I will make sure I no longer post - I suggest you change the name to "child support - only for those who do not receive a dime"
Sorry to have taken up your time and wasting 3 pages - and by the way, I have never clogged up the family court system.
I'm sure the fact that as you say many of you don't receive a dime makes you feel like anyone that does should just shut up and be happy. So the next time someone gets mugged or raped they should shut up and be happy they weren't murdered..and not clog up our court system. That's some theory you have...glad you aren't in politics or government.

Again, sorry for taking up your time.
I hope you have a good day!
Oh Lord lady. Go shopping or something would you. 'Cuz now you're pissing me off.

DSShopper said:
I will - because I can!
Guess what? No one believes you anymore. You're full of horse sh4t!!! Six days after your initial post, you're still here, you're still whining, you're still complaining and you're still throwing allegations around about all this money you have. For someone who has so much money, why are you still hanging out on the computer? Most of us do this at the same time we're working real jobs. If you get nothing else from this forum, get this. NO ONE CARES ANYMORE. You've lost your credibility!!!! Take your own advice -
DSShopper said:
I will make sure I no longer post

B

betterthanher

DSShopper said:
Obviously I didn't articulate myself clearly...
Yeah you did.

If my spouse chooses to cover my income (the same as I was making when I was employed)great! Anything he brings to the table above and beyond that should be the "BONUS"
You missed the boat. Again. If you had an income, then it would be a bonus, but it's not. He may cover your refusal to work, but it still does not relieve your financial support. And if you think for a second you continue to refuse to work (which IS what you're doing), you can bet your can certainly file for a modification and have your new spouse's income included.

Remember- I am not concerned about increasing the support.
I never mentioned that.

I am not lazy
Ummm, yeah you are. YOU are not supporting your children. Period. Go ahead and try to think of excuses and dance around this all youwant. They are your responsibility along with your ex's. Obviously he's the financially responsible one.

Any rate, I can see this board has some very angry people...
Only when we see posts from people like you.

There is a reason why some of my life has turned out so great! I am a good person!
Oh please woman. Is that the best comeback you can come up with? Oh, by the way, you've mentioned this several times. Obviously deep down inside, you DO have issues because if you truly didn't, you wouldn't feel the need to bring this up at all -- let alone the multiple times you referenced it.

Congratulations woman -- you are a deadbeat!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">