• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Online services passwords

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mistoffolees

But as a general rule, I still think it's a common courtesy for both sets of parents to have access to their child's online activity.
I agree - and maybe even more than common courtesy. In a joint legal custody situation, both parents have access to medical information, what's going on at school, should be involved in religious decisions, pretty much anything that affects a child's growth and development. I would think that having access to their FB stuff falls into the same category.

CJane

I agree - and maybe even more than common courtesy. In a joint legal custody situation, both parents have access to medical information, what's going on at school, should be involved in religious decisions, pretty much anything that affects a child's growth and development. I would think that having access to their FB stuff falls into the same category.
Except it doesn't fall into that category.

It's a parenting decision and falls squarely into the 'what kiddo is involved in/who kiddo hangs out with on one parent's time is between kiddo and that parent'.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Of course, if OP desired, he could take this back to court and have it ORDERED that kiddo not be allowed to break not only the TOS for FB, but also the law (accessing a computer system without authorization.)

CJane

Of course, if OP desired, he could take this back to court and have it ORDERED that kiddo not be allowed to break not only the TOS for FB, but also the law (accessing a computer system without authorization.)
Of course. But until there's an order granting him access, this isn't a legal issue. He's apparently ok with kiddo having the FB account, and so the violations of TOS and federal law aren't what he's worried about.

Legally speaking, he has no special rights to kiddo's account information.

gam

It's a parenting decision and falls squarely into the 'what kiddo is involved in/who kiddo hangs out with on one parent's time is between kiddo and that parent'.
I agree with you on this.

My grandson is posted all over FB pages of people associated with his dad. My daughter has no say over that, dad gives his permission for them to post and they can.

My daughter does not agree with what dad is allowing. She posts nothing on her FB concerning the child and she asks friends and family to not either.

Instead we have a family FB page, it's private, the child is almost 8 and he can access it himself from computers in her home, or grandparents home. He does not know the passwords.

It's none of dads business what is on that page, its about her time with the child. Eventually the child will be old enough to have his own page.

If she allows it, that is her business, her time with the child, her parenting decision. It's not a joint decision, it's up to her to parent the page on her time, just like it would be up to dad to do the same with anything set up in his home.

Why is this being looked at different. It should be considered one of those things, that you just have to trust the other parent to do their job on their time. Otherwise many of these parenting differences need to be looked at again and considered to be major decisions.

smommy1992

Wow, could you explain that to my ex? He feels that our 13 yr old daughters FB page is ALWAYS his business. She lives with me and he accesses her page every single day. What he is looking for exactly, I have no clue. :confused:

Silverplum

Wow, could you explain that to my ex? He feels that our 13 yr old daughters FB page is ALWAYS his business. She lives with me and he accesses her page every single day. What he is looking for exactly, I have no clue. :confused:
Why would you think that Dad should not be interested in what's happening on his minor child's facebook page/s??

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
And HIS DAUGHTER's PAGE is his business. Especially when said page should and could be removed by FB for violating the terms of their usage as I believe the age of having a page is 14! if I am wrong, then I will apologize. But she is not 14 and should not have a page per FB.

smommy1992

And HIS DAUGHTER's PAGE is his business. Especially when said page should and could be removed by FB for violating the terms of their usage as I believe the age of having a page is 14! if I am wrong, then I will apologize. But she is not 14 and should not have a page per FB.
Per Facebook terms, no one under the age of 13 is allowed to sign up, so not violating anything due to her age.
NCP has used our daughters FB page as a way of checking up on me, to see what I am doing or posting (since I am a friend on her page, listed as her parent just as he is)....He texts me harassing about this and that. Guessing that is why he feels the need to check her page 24/7....Glad I dont have a life that I post much about!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It's 13 actually...

smommy1992

Frankly, I'd be checking my child's page/s frequently, till they were out of my house. And likely beyond that time.

ALL parents are on a "need-to-know-basis."
I honestly check little darlings page at least 2-3 times a week. I dont obsess or make it all I ever do. She doesnt have a computer of her own, so she uses mine, which gives me more control over what sites she goes on or what she does.
There still needs to be the trust factor though when it comes to kids. You would hope you have taught them well enough not to do something they know from the get go is wrong.

Silverplum

I honestly check little darlings page at least 2-3 times a week. I dont obsess or make it all I ever do. She doesnt have a computer of her own, so she uses mine, which gives me more control over what sites she goes on or what she does.
There still needs to be the trust factor though when it comes to kids. You would hope you have taught them well enough not to do something they know from the get go is wrong.
There should be NO objection to EITHER parent reviewing the CHILD'S page any day, any evening, any time. Five times a day, if the parent wishes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">