• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Paint or stain codes proprietary?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nasdaqsam

So why are you upset that the door company can't match the garage door? Aren't they the company claiming to be able to provide a door matched to the garage door?

Or is it that to get matching doors you had to purchase them all at the same time so the two companies could collaborate on the project and provide matching doors from their respective companies?

Something doesn't sound right about the garage door company refusing to repair your existing garage door though. I wonder if somewhere along the line they just grew tired of dealing with you in your attempts to obtain their information and just refuse to do business with you anymore.
I am not mad at the door company at all they have been great about it and want to help. they know what the intentions of their agreement was but have no control over the garage door company and their policies.

They were purchased at the same time this is a new house. They do not coloberate other than the door company sells the garage door company the skins that is the exent of it. And that is right from the door company reps.

I am sure at some point they have gotten sick of me. But I spent a lot of time kissing butts and exhausting every option before I got to this point. I did not go into with an attitude. I know better than that.

nasdaqsam

There is nothing deceptive about it. You wanted matching doors and you got matching doors.
The doors do not match other than the grain of the fiberglass. They are not even in the same color pallet. They were both ordered as Mahogany. The front door is Mahogany with a slight dark graining, the garage doors are closer to a Dark Walnut with a deep deep red and heavy black grain. How is that matching?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
The doors do not match other than the grain of the fiberglass. They are not even in the same color pallet. They were both ordered as Mahogany. The front door is Mahogany with a slight dark graining, the garage doors are closer to a Dark Walnut with a deep deep red and heavy black grain. How is that matching?
One company's red is another's tomato. :cool:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
But, you accepted them. You are not asking them to correct a mis-match, you are asking them to repair damage that you caused.

Look, I understand you are frustrated, but you've received your answers. You can't FORCE them to share the information with you. This is not the same as a car by a long shot.

Let's say you bought a painting from a local artist. Then your kid scrapes off a portion of the painting. The artist is under no obligation to tell you how he painted it and the artist is under no obligation to give you the composition of his paints.

BL

Firstly , you have damage ?

Who would repair the damage ?

Secondly , where have you gone to color match ?

Finally , why would you dish out 8 grand before doing your homework when warranty will not cover damage caused by you ?

nasdaqsam

But, you accepted them. You are not asking them to correct a mis-match, you are asking them to repair damage that you caused.

Look, I understand you are frustrated, but you've received your answers. You can't FORCE them to share the information with you. This is not the same as a car by a long shot.

Let's say you bought a painting from a local artist. Then your kid scrapes off a portion of the painting. The artist is under no obligation to tell you how he painted it and the artist is under no obligation to give you the composition of his paints.
Thats not correct. It is understood an artist is always a one off and can not be duplicated. This is a consumer mass produced product that is advertised as matching the artist does not advertise matching paintings.

I do understand if the do not want to share their codes thats fine but they should offer a touch up kit or their stain for purchase. The car anology does work. If you bought a car and wrecked it you should be able to repair it and can because they offer the paint codes. The doors are a mass produced item I am not the only one buying the same exact doors. There is a law that forces companies to offer repair parts for thier items for a certain number of years paint is a repair item.

nasdaqsam

Firstly , you have damage ?

Who would repair the damage ?

Secondly , where have you gone to color match ?

Finally , why would you dish out 8 grand before doing your homework when warranty will not cover damage caused by you ?
1st, yes I have damage.
2nd, I would make the repair I am not expecting them to repair my damage. I am asking for nothing more than to offer the materials required.

Finally, In a project of this size there are literally thousands and thousands of products being used it would be impossible to read all warrantees. But more important I am not aksing them fix anything. I am asking for the right to buy the materials to fix it. If I bought a new mower and the engine blow because I forgot to put oil in it. By law the mower company has to offer repair parts for a certain number of years so people can repair it. Why would a door be any different?

nasdaqsam

Please cite the law. We'll wait.
I'm not an attorney or I wouldn;t be here. But your saying GM can build a car then stop making parts for it and they do this out of the goodness of thier hearts? Right? They are forced to. If you are an attorney you know the law.

BL

1st, yes I have damage.
2nd, I would make the repair I am not expecting them to repair my damage. I am asking for nothing more than to offer the materials required.

Finally, In a project of this size there are literally thousands and thousands of products being used it would be impossible to read all warrantees. But more important I am not aksing them fix anything. I am asking for the right to buy the materials to fix it. If I bought a new mower and the engine blow because I forgot to put oil in it. By law the mower company has to offer repair parts for a certain number of years so people can repair it. Why would a door be any different?
Cite the Law.

You can try contacting a company or companies that repairs garage doors.

You were told that you can not force this Co. to supply the parts or products for you.

If you feel the need , file a complaint with the OAG - consumer affairs , don't expect the outcome you hope for.

nasdaqsam

Please cite the law. We'll wait.
I just googled this very question. It came back about GM when they discontinued one of their Saturn line. The responder stated they are required by law to offer parts for no less than 10 years. I will find the law hang tight.

BL

I just googled this very question. It came back about GM when they discontinued one of their Saturn line. The responder stated they are required by law to offer parts for no less than 10 years. I will find the law hang tight.
Find the Law on your products .

You are mixing apples with oranges.

Zigner

The law you are looking for is known as the Magnuson-Moss Waranty Act.

You will find that it does not support your position.

You are also wrong that a manufacturer must provide parts for any set period of time.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
I'm not an attorney or I wouldn;t be here. But your saying GM can build a car then stop making parts for it and they do this out of the goodness of thier hearts? Right? They are forced to. If you are an attorney you know the law.
The FreeAdvice Forums are intended to enable consumers to benefit from the experience of other consumers who have faced similar legal issues. FreeAdvice does NOT vouch for or warrant the accuracy, completeness or usefulness of any posting on the Forums or the identity or qualifications of any person asking questions or responding on the Forums.
Alrighty then. :cool:

Zigner

It is understood an artist is always a one off and can not be duplicated. This is a consumer mass produced product that is advertised as matching the artist does not advertise matching paintings.
I have a Kinkade. It's numbered as #25 of 5,000 (or something to that effect.) It is mass produced. It is matching. There is no requirement that the manufacturer of this mass-produced & matching item give me the color codes or techniques used in manufacturing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">