• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Passport Cancelled While Abroad?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
And since when did they allow you to renew it at the embassy?....
Well it is currently not allowed. Maybe this was 30 years ago. But it is not allowed any more.
Actually, that has been the case for years, and is still the case today. Indeed, if you live outside the U.S. and need to renew a passport or get any other passport services, you must visit a U.S. consulate or embassy (with the exception of special rules that apply for Canada). The State Department expressly tells you this on it's page Apply Outside the United States:

If you live in any other country besides Canada, you must apply in person at a U.S. embassy or consulate for all passport services. Each U.S. embassy and consulate has different procedures for submitting and processing your final documents, but the forms, supporting documentation, fees, and finished products are similar.
See also the same information on the agency's page regarding renewing a passport:

If you live in Canada, you may be eligible to renew your passport by mail and avoid a trip to a U.S. embassy or consulate. If you live in any other country, you must renew your passport at a U.S. embassy or consulate.
Note that last sentence: if you live outside the U.S. or Canada and want to renew your U.S. passport you must do it at a consulate or embassy.

eerelations

Neither me, nor anyone else has EVER heard of that. If that is allowed now, it has to be new this month.
I live in Mexico. While I am not American, most of my friends here are. And they have been renewing their passports regularly from here...including one couple who have been living here for 30+ years. Just last month a rep from the American consulate in Guadalajara spent a day at the Lake Chapala Society helping dozens and dozens of Americans renew their passports.

I'll tell bro that the AE mistakenly renewed his passport in 2017. ;)
Maybe he received a "travel document"? Or a "limited passport"? So that he could turn himself in to the authorities and comply with deportation. But since I have been alive, you have never been able to renew a cancelled passport. Neither in the USA, nor abroad.

I live in Mexico. While I am not American, most of my friends here are. And they have been renewing their passports regularly from here...including one couple who have been living here for 30+ years. Just last month a rep from the American consulate in Guadalajara spent a day at the Lake Chapala Society helping dozens and dozens of Americans renew their passports.
You can't. Cancelled US passports are not renewable. They must be travel documents or limited passports to comply with deportation. But it's not a regular passport that you can use to live abroad.

Mass_Shyster

And since when did they allow you to renew it at the embassy?
Neither me, nor anyone else has EVER heard of that. If that is allowed now, it has to be new this month.
Well it is currently not allowed. Maybe this was 30 years ago. But it is not allowed any more.
And you didn't answer my question: if you've been living abroad for many years, how did you acquire a new passport?
I renewed it at my embassy. How do Mexicans do it?
Sorry, I don't have time to play your games. I have snow to shovel. I suggest you pay an attorney.

eerelations

You can't. Cancelled US passports are not renewable. They must be travel documents or limited passports to comply with deportation. But it's not a regular passport that you can use to live abroad.
Nobody ever told you that you can renew a cancelled US passport from a foreign country. You can't renew a cancelled US passport anywhere, including in the US. If your passport is cancelled, you can't renew it, you have to get a brand-new one, and that can only be done while you're in the US. (Duh.) But if your US passport is active and you want to renew it from a foreign country then you can, via a US embassy or consulate. Just like you did. (If you already know this can be done, as evidenced by the fact that you did it yourself, why have you been railing away at us about how it can't be done, or if it could be done it was only 30+ years ago and not now etc?)

Last edited:

eerelations

I renewed it at my embassy. How do Mexicans do it?
I am not Mexican, I just live in Mexico. I am therefore not familiar with Mexican law regarding Mexicans renewing Mexican passports whilst not physically in Mexico. Why do you need to know this? How will knowing about how Mexicans can renew their passports from outside Mexico help you with your situation?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I am at $3,000. Just in a month.
We really can't help you, because you are focusing on the wrong details.

From your initial post, I assume the state where the court order for child support is from is California, and that the child is now ~18.

How and when was your paternity established?
How was the amount of child support determined? When did this court order go into effect?

You are going to have to retain a lawyer who is a member of the California bar to unravel this, if it can or should be unraveled.

Sorry, I don't have time to play your games. I have snow to shovel. I suggest you pay an attorney.
What games? No one was talking about games here. Pay an attorney with what? The fact remains that the US Embassy will NEVER let you renew the passport! Post a DOS link if you have a brand new law that came out this month.

Actually, that has been the case for years, and is still the case today. Indeed, if you live outside the U.S. and need to renew a passport or get any other passport services, you must visit a U.S. consulate or embassy (with the exception of special rules that apply for Canada). The State Department expressly tells you this on it's page Apply Outside the United States:

See also the same information on the agency's page regarding renewing a passport:

Note that last sentence: if you live outside the U.S. or Canada and want to renew your U.S. passport you must do it at a consulate or embassy.
lol They are assuming that you are renewing a passport that still exists, but is expired, since renewing said passport is illegal anywhere in the world. It's not like they just ignore the law if you are abroad. lol What you are likely thinking of is a Limited Passport. Or a Travel Document. No the same as a passport.

Nobody ever told you that you can renew a cancelled US passport from a foreign country. You can't renew a cancelled US passport anywhere, including in the US. If your passport is cancelled, you can't renew it, you have to get a brand-new one, and that can only be done while you're in the US. (Duh.) But if your US passport is active and you want to renew it from a foreign country then you can, via a US embassy or consulate. Just like you did. (If you already know this can be done, as evidenced by the fact that you did it yourself, why have you been railing away at us about how it can't be done, or if it could be done it was only 30+ years ago and not now etc?)
lol YOU are the one saying it can be renewed! Read your comments if you forgot what you posted! Seriously, why are there nothing, but trolls, ON A LEGAL FORUM!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">