• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Temporarily import car to Mexico without lien holder permission?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

eerelations

Whatever happens re the car, please keep in mind that as of last Monday (June 3), ICE has started reviewing the social media accounts and obtaining the passwords for same so that they can monitor said social media accounts on an ongoing basis, of everyone entering the US - especially those heading onwards to Mexico. (My brother is coming to visit me in Mexico in July. I told him this and when he researched it, he discovered it was true. He has since switched his flight from going from Canada to Guadalajara via Houston to a different flight going to Guadalajara via Mexico City.) (And Mexico has said they would retaliate by doing this to all Americans entering Mexico. Whether or not that happens is up in the air.) How does this affect you, OP? Maybe not so much on the way to Mexico, but certainly on your way back to the US.

Keep this in mind.

(Re me? I have lots of places in the world I plan to go. But I'm not going to any of those places via the US. ICE already has my fingerprints - whole 'nother story - that should be enough for now.)

LdiJ

Whatever happens re the car, please keep in mind that as of last Monday (June 3), ICE has started reviewing the social media accounts and obtaining the passwords for same so that they can monitor said social media accounts on an ongoing basis, of everyone entering the US - especially those heading onwards to Mexico. (My brother is coming to visit me in Mexico in July. I told him this and when he researched it, he discovered it was true. He has since switched his flight from going from Canada to Guadalajara via Houston to a different flight going to Guadalajara via Mexico City.) (And Mexico has said they would retaliate by doing this to all Americans entering Mexico. Whether or not that happens is up in the air.) How does this affect you, OP? Maybe not so much on the way to Mexico, but certainly on your way back to the US.

Keep this in mind.

(Re me? I have lots of places in the world I plan to go. But I'm not going to any of those places via the US. ICE already has my fingerprints - whole 'nother story - that should be enough for now.)
The bolded makes absolutely no sense. The amount of man hours involved in order to do something like that would be absurdly high. There is no way that there are resources available to spend that kind of man hours on monitoring the social media of everyone who enters the US.

eerelations

The bolded makes absolutely no sense. The amount of man hours involved in order to do something like that would be absurdly high. There is no way that there are resources available to spend that kind of man hours on monitoring the social media of everyone who enters the US.
Of course it makes no sense. But that's what the White House Admin said was going to happen (see it on YouTube, CNN, WaPo, Slate, The Atlantic, Esquire, Mother Jones and the NY Times). Whom am I to question them? Just because you think it's stupid doesn't mean it isn't happening.

LdiJ

Of course it makes no sense. But that's what the White House Admin said was going to happen (see it on YouTube, CNN, WaPo, Slate, The Atlantic, Esquire, Mother Jones and the NY Times). Whom am I to question them? Just because you think it's stupid doesn't mean it isn't happening.
I think you misunderstood me. There are many things the White House has said were going to happen that haven't happened and won't happen because the resources and manpower are simply not there to make them happen. Thousands of people (maybe even tens of thousands) enter the US on a daily basis. Imagine how many people it would take to check the social media of every one of those persons? On top of that, the people checking would also have to be able to connect userids with actual people.

Sadly, the current administration says a lot of things that won't actually ever happen.

eerelations

I don't think the average person should bank on nothing happening. You never know. Many Canadians (like my brother) are banking on what the Administration says. It's a whole lot safer.

justalayman

ICE has started reviewing the social media accounts and obtaining the passwords for same so that they can monitor said social media accounts on an ongoing basis, of everyone enteri
Obtaining passwords? Just how do you propose they are obtaining passwords?

And of course, all those folks traveling from South America through Mexico to reach the US have computers with them and there is WiFi in the middle of nowhere and of course they have lifetime charged batteries.

iCE requires user names for social media sites when a person applies for a visa so they can research that person. Of course there are programs and equipment designed to “listen” for specific terms that can sift through a lot or data streams but once a keyword is found, it requires somebody to read the associated communications. Given the huge volume of data traveling through the internet at any given time, trying to listen to the entire internet and physically read any associated communications at any given time just isn’t a reality.

Their activities are a much more targeted activity.

Of course you’re free to believe anything you want. Our government has always been pretty good and spreading disinformation and using that as a weapon. It always serves to make paranoid or guilty people act funny. The rest of us tend to ignore the BS.

izzie02

No one mentioned if the cars insurance coverage would be valid for the amount of time you will be in Mexico. I don't know, have never driven my car into Mexico. Would his insurance be an issue with the car if accident or stolen while in Mexico. What would lean holder have to say about that?

justalayman

No one mentioned if the cars insurance coverage would be valid for the amount of time you will be in Mexico. I don't know, have never driven my car into Mexico. Would his insurance be an issue with the car if accident or stolen while in Mexico. What would lean holder have to say about that?
That is a very good question for the op to ask their insurance provider. So many people don’t reslly think about the fact they are in a different country when they enter Mexico or Canada. They have their own laws. How ours plays with theirs needs to be something op looks into.

quincy

Keep this in mind.

Here is a link to the Complaint filed by the ACLU against the DOJ, FBI, DHS, CBP, CIS and ICE, over the failure by these agencies to release requested documents under the FOIA on the social media surveillance of both US citizens and non-US citizens:

https://www.aclu.org/sites/default/files/field_document/1._complaint_for_injunctive_relief_1.17.19.pdf
The ACLU complaint was filed in the US District Court, Northern District of California, San Francisco-Oakland Division, on January 17, 2019. A case management conference is scheduled for June 12, 2019.

eerelations

That is a very good question for the op to ask their insurance provider. So many people don’t reslly think about the fact they are in a different country when they enter Mexico or Canada. They have their own laws. How ours plays with theirs needs to be something op looks into.
It's my understanding (gleaned from discussions with many Canadian and American visitors to Mexico - I'm a member of several Americans-and-Canadians-in-Mexico FB groups, and this is a hot topic!) that most Canadian and American car insurance policies don't cover the car when it's in Mexico. There are apparently numerous insurance agencies immediately on the Mexican side at the drive-through border crossings that will sell foreigners small car insurance policies to cover them while they're in Mexico.

justalayman

It's my understanding (gleaned from discussions with many Canadian and American visitors to Mexico - I'm a member of several Americans-and-Canadians-in-Mexico FB groups, and this is a hot topic!) that most Canadian and American car insurance policies don't cover the car when it's in Mexico. There are apparently numerous insurance agencies immediately on the Mexican side at the drive-through border crossings that will sell foreigners small car insurance policies to cover them while they're in Mexico.
AHHHHHHHH,!

No coverage when in Mexico? That would mean (most likely) the op would be in breach of his contract and subject to penalties or cancellation of the contract.

Op really needs to research this before acting. Unless he can sustain the loss of the vehicle and still pay the associated debt and buy another car, it sounds like he has a lot of education to seek out.

LdiJ

That is an interesting bit of information. I wonder if the same is available in the US and Canada? Many, Many years ago some friends of mine from Australia came to the US for a three month visit. They decided to buy a car here instead of renting one because it would be cheaper to buy one and then sell it at the end of their visit, than to pay for a rental car for three months. They had a harder than heck time finding someone willing to insure the car.

justalayman

Here is a link to the Complaint filed by the ACLU against the DOJ, FBI, DHS, CBP, CIS and ICE, over the failure by these agencies to release requested documents under the FOIA on the social media surveillance of both US citizens and non-US citizens:

https://www.aclu.org/sites/default/files/field_document/1._complaint_for_injunctive_relief_1.17.19.pdf
The ACLU complaint was filed in the US District Court, Northern District of California, San Francisco-Oakland Division, on January 17, 2019. A case management conference is scheduled for June 12, 2019.
I don’t see the term password used even once in that document.

While I won’t argue the government doesn’t surveil various people, I do disagree that the government has somehow obtained the passwords of thousands, (10’s of thousands, 100’s of thousands, millions?) of people and are individually searching their various social media accounts. The government has used key word “listening” programs and devices. Hell, they fly some device around in a plane and it (effectively) becomes a cell tower and cause all cellphone communications in the area to pass through that system. It has been used to locate criminals as well as to intercept actual phone calls.

But that has a limited capacity and range.

Did you know that at one time in not too distant history the Chinese caused at least 15% of the entire worlds internet traffic to flow through their routers, including us government traffic? And we didn’t realize it at the time?

The governments of the world have some capabilities beyond the belief of the average person. Even with that, one must understand that interception of internet traffic is only the beginning. How they sift through such huge amounts of data tends to limit what they can benefit from such intercepts. Then, even more arduous is when it comes down to personal review of any suspicious or targeted data. Somewhere along the line, people and their abilities to read and determine the worth of any given data does step in. That does tend to limit what the government can usefully collect.

I think an even scarier possibility is that if you use any voice activated controls on your computer (such as Siri from apple and Alexa from google), your phone or your computer is listening to you right now. While you realize Siri responds to “hey Siri” and asks you what you want in response, it is just as possible it is also listening for other keywords and taking some action, unknown to you, once it hears them. For all anybody knows, when your phone or computer hears you say Mexico, it may cause any conversation it hears to be recorded somewhere in the bowels of big brother.

Yep, while 1984 (the book) warned us of the government becoming “big brother”, the truth is, we are big brother and we intentionally and willingly created him ourselves. We willingly continue to allow ourselves the be surveilled all in the name of convenience.

quincy

Your Facebook friends are right. Mexico does not recognize US liability insurance so anyone driving to Mexico will want to get Mexican car insurance.

Although I haven't been to Mexico in years, we were required to have a vehicle importation permit before entering, along with the other more obvious documents (driver's license, car registration).

And if you have a lien on your vehicle, you will need lienholder authorization to drive into Mexico.

As to the ACLU suit, it is difficult to know how we are all being surveilled because the agencies that have us under surveillance are not releasing documents.

adjusterjack

American insurance policies don't restrict coverage to the US. It's the Mexican laws that require visitors to purchase insurance specifically written for Mexico. If you have an accident in Mexico without a Mexican insurance policy, you go to jail even though your US policy covers you.

Not sure about the jail part anymore, though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">