• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Temporarily import car to Mexico without lien holder permission?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

American insurance policies don't restrict coverage to the US. It's the Mexican laws that require visitors to purchase insurance specifically written for Mexico. If you have an accident in Mexico without a Mexican insurance policy, you go to jail even though your US policy covers you.

Not sure about the jail part anymore, though.
Your car can be impounded.

eerelations

Obtaining passwords? Just how do you propose they are obtaining passwords?
Personally I don't believe they should be obtaining passwords by any means. I don't know why you think I want them to obtain passwords.

According to WH Admin, "they" (as in ICE) are obtaining passwords by refusing to allow travelers to continue on their trips until they give up their passwords. While this wouldn't work with me (I'd just say OK, I'll go back home then), I suspect many travelers aren't able to do this.

(And the "I'll just go home then" thing might not actually work. When I was at Baltimore airport waiting for my flight home to Toronto, a group of American border patrol agents approached us and demanded that all the Canadians in the group give up our fingerprints. When I asked "What happens if I don't give you my fingerprints?" one agent glared at me menacingly and shouted "We'll just hold you in one of our detention facilities until you change your mind!" This happened in 2004, and people say things are worse now? Almost unimaginable, that.)

quincy

I cannot think of any problems we had in driving to Mexico years ago but I would hesitate to drive there now.

In fact, this is definitely not the best time for anyone to travel to or from the US.

When other countries are issuing travel warnings for the US, you know this country's reputation has been tarnished. The source of the decline in the world's opinion of the US to me seems obvious.

Just Blue

I cannot think of any problems we had in driving to Mexico years ago but I would hesitate to drive there now.

In fact, this is definitely not the best time for anyone to travel to or from the US.

When other countries are issuing travel warnings for the US, you know this country's reputation has been tarnished. The source of the decline in the world's opinion of the US to me seems obvious.
It should be obvious to everyone...but for some they just can't seem to see the ol' red, white and blue spinning down the toilet.

quincy

How would you explain to your bank if you had an accident? Not even your fault ...
An accident would require notification to both the Mexican insurer and the US insurer - and the lien holder would learn where and when the accident occurred.

It is best to stick strictly to the conditions set by the lien holder - or pay off the loan before heading to Mexico.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">