• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

This is disturbing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PayrollHRGuy

Even if aggressive immigration laws weren't racist (and they demonstrably are in intent and operation) they are nationalistic.

That's bad enough.
Race is only involved because it just happens to be primarily one race that is bulk of the illegal immigration.

Trump what elected as President of the United States of America. That's a nation.

Sort of reminds be of an old line that the State Department needed a US desk so that somebody there would be concerned about what was good for the US.

CdwJava

Why is it a bad thing to be nationalistic? And why is trying to control the borders "racist"? I don't get it. Other nations get a free pass when enforcing their immigration laws and sovereignty, so why is it evil when the US (or, rather, the Trump administration) does it but not when almost everyone else does (or when Obama did ... sort of)?

Nationalism: patriotic feeling, principles, or efforts.

How is that bad?

I can't speak as to the article presented or the "facts" alluded to within the story (which seems to rely largely on inference and not specific facts), but I recall a great many notable bureaucratic foul-ups have occurred even before Trump was president. We just seem to hear more about them now because most the media doesn't like the guy in office at the moment.

xylene

Would you mind diagraming that sentence because it makes no sense.
The racism of the past means excessive nationalistic nostalgia for the past, particularly as expressed in "MAGA" is a feces soiled slap in the face that treats the Constitution and American History like bath tissue.

I hope that's sufficiently erudite for you.

LdiJ

That was 32 years ago.

He ran and won the election based heavily on stopping illegal immigration. The only reason anyone is surprised by the actions he takes now is because we have, as a nation, gotten so use to politicians BSing us during the campaign.
Its one thing to stop illegal immigration. However, if you read the article you would see that it is not about illegal immigration. Its about atrocities being done to US citizens.

This hits home to me. I married someone who immigrated legally to the US and we share a daughter who was born in the US. The thought of someone being able to do something like this to my daughter terrifies me.

PayrollHRGuy

That was 32 years ago.

Its one thing to stop illegal immigration. However, if you read the article you would see that it is not about illegal immigration. Its about atrocities being done to US citizens.

This hits home to me. I married someone who immigrated legally to the US and we share a daughter who was born in the US. The thought of someone being able to do something like this to my daughter terrifies me.
The story is about people that allegedly have falsified US birth certificates. AND ENFORCEMENT STARTED UNDER OBAMA, at least according to NPR.

LdiJ

The story is about people that allegedly have falsified US birth certificates. AND ENFORCEMENT STARTED UNDER OBAMA, at least according to NPR.
Read it again. Yes, the topic of falsified birth certificates was discussed but the people who had issues were US citizens.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The problem I have is not the "cracking down" on folks with falsified birth certificates, but it's with the way it's done with absolutely no due process. Just because some piece-of-dirt midwife(wives) lied about some folks being born here doesn't mean that US citizens should have their passport (in essence, their citizenship) revoked with no due process.

xylene

Ahh, more nationalist rebuttals that boil down to "if you aren't with the regime, you are opposed to the rule of law."

CdwJava

Ahh, more nationalist rebuttals that boil down to "if you aren't with the regime, you are opposed to the rule of law."
Again, I ask, what's inherently wrong about being nationalistic? Having pride and patriotism in one's country?

Note that I - nor anyone else here - ever stated what you quoted. Though, I suspect that you probably thought that anyone who disagreed with Obama's regime was opposed to the rule of law, was a racist, or was an uneducated boob. Disagreeing with one's politics does not make them the derogatory term of the day ... unless all one has is insults.

PayrollHRGuy

The problem I have is not the "cracking down" on folks with falsified birth certificates, but it's with the way it's done with absolutely no due process. Just because some piece-of-dirt midwife(wives) lied about some folks being born here doesn't mean that US citizens should have their passport (in essence, their citizenship) revoked with no due process.
But there is due process. It is right there in next to last paragraph of the story. But the only people being denied are those whose birth in the US and hence their citizenship is in question. And a quick search shows this story back in 2012. https://www.cnn.com/2012/06/05/us/texas-immigration-midwives/index.html . So I guess Obama was a racist as well.

Whoops2u

However, if you read the article you would see that it is not about illegal immigration. Its about atrocities being done to US citizens.
"Atrocities"??! Seriously, get a grip.

At some point in the past, midwifes in a certain geographic area on the border, committed fraud on a large scale in creating false U.S. birth certificates. The horrible government didn't like that and stopped the practice. ACLU sued and got a settlement that certain due process must be followed for each suspected passport application and not a widespread determination of all in a similar category.

That has been done.

There is still the issue of a certain percentage of people born with mid-wife's from certain geographic areas during the years of proven fraud who request passports. Astonishingly, the government investigates those that fall into those categories and sometimes denies them through standard procedure that would get an approval for those not born to those mid-wife's or not born in that geographic area or not born in the years in question. Only if all three are true is there greater scrutiny.

The horror. I need some MDMA from the PTSD I've gotten from hearing about these atrocities.

If she wasn't born by a mid-wife, in the certain area of the Texas/Mexico border, in the years in question, she wouldn't have to worry even a little tiny bit.

quincy

This thread was reported. If you want to argue about immigration policies in the US, you might want to take it to the Senior Forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">