• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

This is disturbing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Don't be so sure, Whoops2u.

I am a US citizen by virtue of my mother's citizenship, but born outside the US. In Canada, just so there's no confusion. I am a white female of completely English and Celtic background, and in a recent trip to Scotland was identified as a Scot on more than one occasion (I look like my Scottish grandmother. The US border guards had no trouble accepting me as a citizen when I entered the country initially and I have a US passport. However, on two occasions I was detained at the border to the point where I was beginning to think they weren't going to let me back in the US, and on one I was threatened with having my passport revoked. All because I was not born in the US. Even though I had proof of citizenship on me. My brother was pulled over and searched at the border for the same reason. Don't try to tell me who has reason to worry and who doesn't. In the current national mood, no one is safe who wasn't born in the US or even LOOKS like they might not have been born in the US.

There's nothing wrong with having pride in one's country but there is a problem when it starts reaching the level of xenophobia.

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Trump has won at least one award for NOT being racist.

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/trump-received-ellis-island-award-in-1986/

He ran and won the election based heavily on stopping illegal immigration. The only reason anyone is surprised by the actions he takes now is because we have, as a nation, gotten so use to politicians BSing us during the campaign.
Trump has been found racist MANY times...
https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/donald-trump-racist-meme/

Your same source of snopes. Trump is a White Supremacist. His favorite book is Mein Kampf by Hitler. That is fact. He has talked about himself and others of similar ethnicity having superior genes. Those are ALL facts.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Another person who wants to change the real problem of immigration into an argument about race. For fun, guess where our current aggressive immigration laws come from. As all federal laws, they are passed by a majority of both houses of Congress and then signed by the President. Were all who voted for the laws and the president of the time racist?

Enforcing the laws is supposed to be the main job of the President. If you want different laws, talk to the Congress.
Let's start with this:
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/donald-trump-racist-examples_us_56d47177e4b03260bf777e83
Then:
https://www.ibtimes.com/donald-trump-racist-15-controversial-quotes-president-elect-said-about-blacks-2447531
Then the fact that he took out a full page slanderous ad about the Central Park 5.
Then the fact that he talked about a "Muslim ban" and has attempted it.
Then the fact that he continuously questions Obama's birth certificate and started the whole "birther" movement.
Then the fact that he said the following:
https://www.politico.eu/article/15-most-offensive-things-trump-campaign-feminism-migration-racism/
How many more facts do you want to show you that state that Trump is a racist Na-zi?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Again, I ask, what's inherently wrong about being nationalistic? Having pride and patriotism in one's country?

Note that I - nor anyone else here - ever stated what you quoted. Though, I suspect that you probably thought that anyone who disagreed with Obama's regime was opposed to the rule of law, was a racist, or was an uneducated boob. Disagreeing with one's politics does not make them the derogatory term of the day ... unless all one has is insults.
Seriously, research Adolf Hitler. That was his cry.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
But there is due process. It is right there in next to last paragraph of the story. But the only people being denied are those whose birth in the US and hence their citizenship is in question. And a quick search shows this story back in 2012. https://www.cnn.com/2012/06/05/us/texas-immigration-midwives/index.html . So I guess Obama was a racist as well.
Wrong. When people are arrested for immigration issues, they are NOT given due process. NO DUE PROCESS. And the only people being questioned are Hispanic. Not caucasians like COTUS.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
So, Godwin's Law?

You resort to equating nationalism to Nazism? Racism? Really?!? To disagree is to be a racist Nazi?
Try to read all my posts. It is NOT Godwin's Law when it is fact. Look at Trump's history. You can be a nationalist. But to demand EVERYONE be a nationalist is the problem. You do you. It is when you demand everyone agree with you on what is proper that it is wrong and extends into Trump's Mein Kampf philosophy of only the "superior race" matters. Literally. He has admitted that he likes Mein Kampf and that his genes are SUPERIOR... and that minorities are inferior. And quite frankly, when the national anthem is played I will kneel. #blacklivesmatter #impeachtrumpandpence

CdwJava

Seems that there are people here demanding that everyone agree with them that Trump is evil, to oppose him is good, and that anyone who supports or has supported his policies is a racist, a fool, or something worse. Funny that statements and proclamations by left-leaning figures - including racist and derogatory emails by DNC folks - are not held to the same level of indignation as reports of Trump's alleged statements.

xylene

Again, I ask, what's inherently wrong about being nationalistic? Having pride and patriotism in one's country?
I'm sorry but you're too smart educated and experienced working in government to be all "gee shucks what's nationalism."

I'm sure you think praying is good, maybe it good at worst it is harmless - so what's wrong with a theocratic country like Iran.
We both know plenty is wrong.

Why don't you give some counter examples of nationalistic countries or regimes that were "good"

Pinochet? Franco? Duterte? Napoleon?

CdwJava

You are equating the term "nationalism" with something far more foul. Read the dictionary definition and you will find, among the definitions the one I posted above. Having pride in one's country is hardly a failing. I have been in public service for the better part of 40 years (I started working in schools as a teenager), have two of four sons in the military, and believe that the United States is the greatest country on Earth. So, yes, I am a nationalist. That does NOT mean that I want to stomp a boot on someone - or anyone - or that I feel every other country is beneath me. I was offended by Obama's so-called "apology tour" when he went around the world apologizing for America's exceptionalism, strength, and commitment to allies and causes that those in power had deemed appropriate at the time.

When we start equating patriotism and national pride with something sinister, then we are finished as a nation and we might as well begin the dissolution of America.

Whoops2u

Probably why it's good we resist jingoistic politics, unless you think Huey Long was a missed opportunity...
I made a simple statement of fact with no jingoistic politics. I take it you disagree with the proposition the United States of America has done more good for the world than any other nation in history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">