• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to say to the police

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The solution to crime is to liberalize gun ownership for law abiding citizens and allow us to just shoot the bastards that attempt to commit crimes against us.

(I just became a troll. ;))
I read a Scifi short story years ago in which it was illegal to not carry a gun. Street crime didn't exist.

CdwJava

I have no problem paying taxes to provide prisons to house murderers, rapists, terrorists and other violent criminals.
Oh, we still house them (when charged and convicted), but, we are transferring them to county jails and therefore pretty much not housing any other criminals which is leading to a tremendous increase in criminal behavior.

FlyingRon

I'm getting arrested in the morning,
Ding, dong, the bells are gonna chime,
Stole from the Walmart,
It's breaking my heart,
But get me to the jail on time.

Last edited:

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I read a Scifi short story years ago in which it was illegal to not carry a gun. Street crime didn't exist.
Well, it's called science fiction for a reason. ;) I think such a law would not result in eliminating all street crime. What it would do is tend to make disputes between people more violent because now they have a gun at the ready when their anger gets the best of them.

TigerD

Well, it's called science fiction for a reason. ;) I think such a law would not result in eliminating all street crime. What it would do is tend to make disputes between people more violent because now they have a gun at the ready when their anger gets the best of them.
Actually, Kennesaw, GA, requires the head of every household to own a firearm. The actual numbers play out much differently than you expect.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/06/us/kennesaw-georgia-gun-ownership/index.html

TD

PayrollHRGuy

That's what anti-gunners said when "shall issue" CCW laws started passing. It didn't happen.

quincy

And Detroit is what you get when all of the criminals have guns and law abiding citizens don't.
Unfortunately, in the Detroit area at least, many of these "law-abiding citizens" with guns often wind up in jail as less-than-law-abiding citizens, this when they mistakenly shoot innocent people or let their young children have access to the guns and the kids shoot innocent people (often other kids).

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Actually, Kennesaw, GA, requires the head of every household to own a firearm. The actual numbers play out much differently than you expect.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/03/06/us/kennesaw-georgia-gun-ownership/index.html

TD
But the law is not enforced and I'd wager quite a few heads of household do not have a weapon in that town. Even if they do have a gun in compliance with the law, the law does not mandate they carry the weapon. My guess is that a lot of them leave the gun at home.

The numbers I've seen nationwide do not make a strong case that guns are actually being used for self defense outside the home all that often.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
That's what anti-gunners said when "shall issue" CCW laws started passing. It didn't happen.
I don't know how much of an increase in CCW permits resulted from that. I know a lot of people who own guns but not one of them has gone out to get a CCW. They don't feel the need for it. So I'm not convinced there are a huge number of people roaming around out there with concealed weapons. I suspect if there were we would indeed see more rage induced stupidity with those guns, injuring and killing people over trivial things. I myself have seen people do stupid things with guns. :rolleyes:

And, btw, I support the second amendment, but I also take a realistic view of how guns are really used and do not oppose all gun related requirements for gun owners as the NRA does.

CdwJava

I will say that, anecdotally, I have never once had to deal with a firearms-related issue with a CCW holder in 27 years. I currently live in a county where there are many times more guns than people, and have never had an issue with a CCW holder or an NRA member regarding any firearms related crime. When I was in San Diego County, I dealt with a great many firearms offenses by stupid people with firearms and blatant criminal thugs, but none were CCW holders or (to the best of my knowledge) NRA or similar members.

Professionalism, responsibility, and training play their part. And people that tend to jump through the hoops for a CCW or care enough to subscribe to the tenets of organizations such as the NRA and other such firearms groups tend to be more careful than the average Joe who buys a gun and stashes it in his dresser drawer. While accidents may happen, my position has turned 180 degrees from when I was a new cop and found that my earlier assessments was based almost entirely upon the opinions of others (I worked nonsworn for SJPD under Joseph McNamara and his association with Handgun Control, Inc,. early on) and not any true evaluation of the positions and the facts.

I will NOT say that mandating everyone carry a gun is a good thing, however. Some people lack the capability to handle a pointed stick, much less a firearm.

As a note, I carry today more than I ever did. Things have gotten a lot more chaotic, it seems, and I'd prefer to carry and not need it than need it and not be carrying. The good thing is, unlike with a CCW, I CAN carry concealed in all 50 states.

quincy

The only problems I currently can think of with the CCW holders in Michigan have been with the carrying of the guns where all firearms have been banned (e.g., schools).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">