• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to say to the police

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
Oh, REALLY!
One of the most classic MP scenes, that. :ROFLMAO: There is a popular computer game in which a large group of players confront a rabbit in a cave that has blood on its face and paws and has glowing red eyes. He's a dangerous one, he is, with an ability called "vicious sharp teeth" that tears through and sometimes kills unsuspecting players. And the reward for defeating this little furry ball of death? One of the 40 people in the group gets the rabbit for a pet to follow him around! That pet is highly prized.

PayrollHRGuy

The typical procedure is still to separate the firearm from the person in some manner. We don't tend to even ask for the CCW until after that has done. Now, there is always the possibility that the CCW holder might NOT tell an officer he is carrying, and the officer may never discover he is. Why? Because chances are the CCW holder is not doing anything that might subject him to arrest or search, and while the CCW holder is likely required to tell law enforcement he has a permit and is carrying, if he doesn't, the officer may never know. One problem with CCW permits - at least in my state - is that there is no central database and running a person will not find any evidence of the permit unless it's in the local city or county system and that specific database is run. I've never worked in a county with such a database, so I cannot be certain it exists anywhere here.

It'd be nice to get statewide systems for CCWs similar to driver's licenses. I have heard that in some states they are already like this ... in CA, I think Sacramento is still hoping to outlaw firearms so they don't want to invest in such a system.
They know in Arkansas when they pull someone over but yes our law requires it as well. Every time I've had an officer encounter for the last 10 years or so when I told them I had a permit & CCW they said words to the effect of "I know." They have never separated from my firearm in LA, AR or TX.

I know some states/departments do and I've always thought it was a really bad idea. It requires the citizen to draw a loaded firearm and had it to an officer loaded. I would never hand a loaded firearm to a person unless I was training them on the range.

FlyingRon

In NC the CCW is flagged when we run the drivers license and also for the owner when the plate is run. I'm know from some very public incidents, that MD looks up out of staters information. It's a condition of Virginia's reciprocity (unfortunately, especially seeing how corrupt MSP was with regard to the information) that the states publish the information on CCW holders.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
Most bunnies are harmless.*

*cue adjusterjack for a Monty Python clip ;)
Did someone call my name?!!

And as an aside, I've had my CCW for several years, even renewed it after AZ dropped the requirement to have a permit to carry concealed. Apparently I look harmless, as the fine LEOs who have pulled me over never ask if I have guns or drugs in the vehicle. Not sure whether to be flattered or insulted....

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
I know some states/departments do and I've always thought it was a really bad idea. It requires the citizen to draw a loaded firearm and had it to an officer loaded. I would never hand a loaded firearm to a person unless I was training them on the range.
But on the other hand, it seems to me to be a bad idea for an officer to let someone he/she has stopped to retain possession of a weapon which might be drawn at any time and used against the officer.

CdwJava

They know in Arkansas when they pull someone over but yes our law requires it as well. Every time I've had an officer encounter for the last 10 years or so when I told them I had a permit & CCW they said words to the effect of "I know." They have never separated from my firearm in LA, AR or TX.

We don't train to let the possessor of a firearm hand us his gun. He tells US where it is, and if it is not on his person, we remove him from the car or location where it is. If it is ON his person, he keeps his hands where we can see them and away from the weapon and WE remove it. To me it is unfathomable to allow the person holding a firearm to remove it themselves. But, one cannot account for the training and procedures in other states.

CdwJava

But on the other hand, it seems to me to be a bad idea for an officer to let someone he/she has stopped to retain possession of a weapon which might be drawn at any time and used against the officer.
WE don't ... or shouldn't. But, how we are trained out here is not always how officers are trained elsewhere.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
We don't train to let the possessor of a firearm hand us his gun. He tells US where it is, and if it is not on his person, we remove him from the car or location where it is. If it is ON his person, he keeps his hands where we can see them and away from the weapon and WE remove it. To me it is unfathomable to allow the person holding a firearm to remove it themselves. But, one cannot account for the training and procedures in other states.
Yes, that makes more sense to me — don't let the person touch the weapon until you are done investigating it and give it back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">