• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What to say to the police

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CdwJava

The only problems I currently can think of with the CCW holders in Michigan have been with the carrying of the guns where all firearms have been banned (e.g., schools).
If that has happened out here where I have ever worked, they were never reported or part of any incident. I'm curious what got them caught at a local school in MI?

quincy

If that has happened out here where I have ever worked, they were never reported or part of any incident. I'm curious what got them caught at a local school in MI?
In at least one incident, a witness saw the concealed weapon and reported it.

CdwJava

In at least one incident, a witness saw the concealed weapon and reported it.
Poor job of concealment. I guess it also depends on where you are. Where I currently live, I doubt anyone would give it a second thought unless the carrier appeared sketchy or was causing problems. When I was down south, we stopped people with guns in gunracks in their car all the time. When I came to the rural north, I'd be doing that all day until I got tarred and feathered by the city fathers!

quincy

Poor job of concealment. I guess it also depends on where you are. Where I currently live, I doubt anyone would give it a second thought unless the carrier appeared sketchy or was causing problems. When I was down south, we stopped people with guns in gunracks in their car all the time. When I came to the rural north, I'd be doing that all day until I got tarred and feathered by the city fathers!
Haha. Yes. That it was.

PayrollHRGuy

I don't know how much of an increase in CCW permits resulted from that. I know a lot of people who own guns but not one of them has gone out to get a CCW. They don't feel the need for it. So I'm not convinced there are a huge number of people roaming around out there with concealed weapons. I suspect if there were we would indeed see more rage induced stupidity with those guns, injuring and killing people over trivial things. I myself have seen people do stupid things with guns. :rolleyes:
I don't know what state you are in TM but yes there a metric buttload of CCW permits have been issued since the "Shall Issue" laws have passed in the majority of states.
crimeresearch.org
The result has been an explosion in the number of concealed-carry permit holders in the United States, from 2.7 million in 1999 to 14.5 million in 2016.
Another story I read somewhere had 2017 number at 16+ Million.

FlyingRon

There are a couple of reasons here. One, it gets around a few laws especially one particular RACIST one here in NC which gives the local good white-boy sheriffs arbitrary discretion to deny purchase authority based on his own race biases. The Shall-Issue CCW includes the ability to purchase a gun, and is shall-issue provided you meet the requirements and background check.

PayrollHRGuy

There are a couple of reasons here. One, it gets around a few laws especially one particular RACIST one here in NC which gives the local good white-boy sheriffs arbitrary discretion to deny purchase authority based on his own race biases. The Shall-Issue CCW includes the ability to purchase a gun, and is shall-issue provided you meet the requirements and background check.
As well as anti-gun Police Chiefs and Sheriffs.

Arguably the second best part of having a CCW Permit if you buy a lot of guns.

Another benefit that I have personally seen is, at least in my state, that cops know if you have a permit you are generally a law-abiding citizen and act accordingly.

CdwJava

Another benefit that I have personally seen is, at least in my state, that cops know if you have a permit you are generally a law-abiding citizen and act accordingly.
I can't speak for other states, but this has been my experience and that of every other cop I know out here, anyway. But, even now when we are also "shall issue" a few Sheriffs and many Chiefs drag the process out and make so many hoops to jump through that it become so laborious process. One county (San Diego) even cut staff a few years back apparently as an excuse not to process the multitude of permit requests. I THINK there is still a lawsuit winding its way through the court there, but am not sure.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
While most CCW holders are indeed law abiding citizens, I should hope no cop simply makes the assumption that they all are when presented with a CCW permit. When engaging in a stop of any person they should be alert for their safety anytime a weapon may be present.

quincy

Hahaha. :)

I sort of expected adjusterjack to be the first to post a clip. Good job!

(I also suspect it will be deleted....)

CdwJava

While most CCW holders are indeed law abiding citizens, I should hope no cop simply makes the assumption that they all are when presented with a CCW permit. When engaging in a stop of any person they should be alert for their safety anytime a weapon may be present.
The typical procedure is still to separate the firearm from the person in some manner. We don't tend to even ask for the CCW until after that has done. Now, there is always the possibility that the CCW holder might NOT tell an officer he is carrying, and the officer may never discover he is. Why? Because chances are the CCW holder is not doing anything that might subject him to arrest or search, and while the CCW holder is likely required to tell law enforcement he has a permit and is carrying, if he doesn't, the officer may never know. One problem with CCW permits - at least in my state - is that there is no central database and running a person will not find any evidence of the permit unless it's in the local city or county system and that specific database is run. I've never worked in a county with such a database, so I cannot be certain it exists anywhere here.

It'd be nice to get statewide systems for CCWs similar to driver's licenses. I have heard that in some states they are already like this ... in CA, I think Sacramento is still hoping to outlaw firearms so they don't want to invest in such a system.

CdwJava

Hahaha. :)

I sort of expected adjusterjack to be the first to post a clip. Good job!
Long time MP fan ... watched that darn movie a hundred times in my life, and in recent years along with my boys (much to my wife's chagrin ... they were between 5 and 11 the first time I showed it), so of course I could not let such a challenge pass unanswered!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">