• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can a new vehicle be returned within 24 hours?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
16 CFR Part 429. (analysis review by the FTC)Some types of sales cannot be canceled even if they do occur in locations normally covered by the Rule. The Cooling-Off Rule does not cover sales that:

are under $25;
are for goods or services not primarily intended for personal, family or household purposes. (The Rule applies to courses of instruction or training.);
are made entirely by mail or telephone;
are the result of prior negotiations at the seller's permanent business location where the goods are sold regularly;
are needed to meet an emergency.
Also exempt from the Cooling-Off Rule are sales that involve:

real estate, insurance, or securities;
automobiles, vans, trucks, or other motor vehicles sold at temporary locations, provided the seller has at least one permanent place of business;
arts or crafts sold at fairs or locations such as shopping malls, civic centers, and schools.

Now, did someone have a question?[/QUOTE]

Let's take this one first. "...automobiles, vans, trucks, or other motor vehicles SOLD AT TEMPORARY LOCATIONS..."

The reference is to dealers who occasionally hold "parking lot" type sales (we used to hold them at the local Walmart). We were required to obtain temporary sales permits at such events.

I have no idea if the op's purchase was conducted away from the dealers main place of business, but if it was, and unless the dealer obtained a temporary sales permit for wherever it WAS conducted (like the buyer's HOME), the 72 hour rule could apply. Sorry about all the could'ves, if's, etc, but I think we scared off the op, so we can't get any more info.

BB would you mind sharing with the forum whether you are a licensed, practicing attorney anywhere in the US, or is that a secret? Or did you obtain an honorary law degree for having watched every Matlock rerun 3 times? You definitely remind me of Don Knotts (you know, Barney Fife)

Last edited:

ENASNI

Holy moly and his cousin Crimoly

72 hours are up by now, are you trying to get 72 insults in?

Can ya give it up already?

BelizeBreeze

cjbrown929 said:
Let's take this one first. "...automobiles, vans, trucks, or other motor vehicles SOLD AT TEMPORARY LOCATIONS..."
O.K. point to ANYWHERE in the original poster's statements where they said this deal took place at a TEMPORARY location. We'll wait.
The reference is to dealers who occasionally hold "parking lot" sales (we used to hold them at the local Walmart). We were required to obtain temporary sales permits at such events.
And you have statutory provisions in FEDERAL or FLorida state law to uphold this ASSumption?
I have no idea if the op's purchase was conducted away from the dealers main place of business, but if it was, and unless the dealer obtained a temporary sales permit for wherever it WAS conducted (like the buyer's HOME), the 72 hour rule could apply. Sorry about all the could'ves, if's, etc, but I think we scared off the op, so we can't get any more info.
If you had stopped with "I HAVE NO IDEA" you would have been correct.
BB would you mind sharing with the forum whether you are a licensed, practicing attorney anywhere in the US, or is that a secret? Or did you obtain an honorary law degree for having watched every Matlock rerun 3 times?
I don't have to qualify myself to an idiot who sells cars for a living.

The assumptions that have fueled this debate belong to you and jet. Try reading all the posts from the beginning. If you are an attorney, what, do you have the day off so that you can argue with car salespeople?

For the last time, I offered the op a couple of ideas that might help her "get out" of the deal she had just signed. My very first post notes how unlikely they were to do so IF 1) there were no "fatal" flaws in the paperwork that would require her to resign if the deal wasn't approved 2) the deal was conducted at the dealer's place of business etc.

If all the paperwork was in order, etc OF COURSE she would have no ability to legally cancel the deal. If that WERE the case, dealers would have dozens of returned new vehicles on their lots that must now be sold as used, based on the whim of the customer.

Shay-Pari'e

BelizeBreeze said:
Which was answered correctly a long time ago as no, not under the circumstances of this post.

And your 'Feeling' has nothing to do with THIS post, just as in other posts where you injected 'feelings' when there was no allusion to Morris Albert.

Which have no bearing on THIS post.

Good question? Do you have an answer since you seem to be the only one who refuses to understand the LEGAL issues.

And what does THAT post have to do with THIS post?

Again, what has that post to do with THIS post?

No, but it didn't happen in THIS POST.

Then why did you even clutter up this thread with it?

O.K. here's a "Detailed" response to you.

You can spend all day here outlining POSSIBLE ways for the poster to get out of the lease, including a Ruger .45 caliber, dynomite, torching the dealership and all the contracts or just about anything else.

But they will always remain fishing expeditions. So, until you have a modicum of legal knowledge maybe you should stick with selling cars.

(QUOTE)And by the way folks, HE is really a she.
(QUOTE)

She is?
cjbrown929
Member Join Date: Sep 2005

long term harassment

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is the name of your state?CA
Dear People: Quick version: met ex-girlfriend in 2001. "Tried" to break up with her in late 2002. Ex refuses to end relationship! Makes her point by mounting a telephone harassment campaign against myself, my friends (whose #'s she had, and my elderly parents). I relent several times thinking we can be friends, but she wants more. I follow parents and friends advice and send her a polite but firm email and change my #. My car is vandalised, but most importantly she engages in truly unbelievable phone harassment (she has probably called us all close to 10,000 times). I called the police for the 50th or so time. Followed officers advice, got and served tro. Ex violated tro a few hundred times in the month it was in effect (she moved to an undisclosed loc, so I couldn't serve her an oah). Finally convinced police to send report to Riverside county DA. Finally convinced DA to file case (PC 273.6(A). She has a pretrial conference set for 9/27. My problem? I am concerned that because I am a male, the DA's office is not pursuing the case in a way that reflects the seriousness of the offense. By the way, my parents finally got a permanent ro against the woman. I was able to serve her when she had to show up for court for violating the tro. I called her a probably 5 or 10times during the period the ro was in effect, always to beg her to stop calling my parents. I think she's going to try and make it seem like I was mutually harassing, even though she called over 500 times in a month. Any thoughts?

BelizeBreeze

cjbrown929 said:
The assumptions that have fueled this debate belong to you and jet. Try reading all the posts from the beginning. If you are an attorney, what, do you have the day off so that you can argue with car salespeople?

For the last time, I offered the op a couple of ideas that might help her "get out" of the deal she had just signed. My very first post notes how unlikely they were to do so IF 1) there were no "fatal" flaws in the paperwork that would require her to resign if the deal wasn't approved 2) the deal was conducted at the dealer's place of business etc.

If all the paperwork was in order, etc OF COURSE she would have no ability to legally cancel the deal. If that WERE the case, dealers would have dozens of returned new vehicles on their lots that must now be sold as used, based on the whim of the customer.
TRANSLATION:

World record backpeddle :eek:

JETX

Bottom line... no matter how much crap 'cjbrown' tries to throw at this one... the answer to the OP's question "can a new vehicle be returned within 24 hours?" is still..... Not without the dealers/lendors/lessors permission.

JETX said:
Bottom line... no matter how much crap 'cjbrown' tries to throw at this one... the answer to the OP's question "can a new vehicle be returned within 24 hours?" is still..... Not without the dealers/lendors/lessors permission.
Jet/bb: it is not my fault that you misread my posts. I stand by everything I said.

JETX

cjbrown929 said:
Jet/bb: it is not my fault that you misread my posts. I stand by everything I said.
Yep. If you stood BEHIND it, you would have been run over.

David v Goliath, Goliath, and Goliath LLC

Excellent reply. I shall treasure it along with all of your replies.

All the users of this forum should thank the partners in your firm for allowing you to spend such a generous amount of time debating a car salesperson.

Most accomplished attorneys wouldn't even THINK about spending the time that you have to assist this forums readers! Your dedication will not go unnoticed...

BelizeBreeze

cjbrown929 said:
Excellent reply. I shall treasure it along with all of your replies.

All the users of this forum should thank the partners in your firm for allowing you to spend such a generous amount of time debating a car salesperson.

Most accomplished attorneys wouldn't even THINK about spending the time that you have to assist this forums readers! Your dedication will not go unnoticed...
Another ignorant reply from a used car salesman.

Who do you think SPONSORS AND OWNS this site ??? :rolleyes:

Of course, since the advice is being given "OFF SITE" from the firm's normal place of business, you are legally allow to apply for a three-day "cooling off period" and a full refund of all your membership fees.

As are those who believe your backpeddling crap.

BelizeBreeze said:
Another ignorant reply from a used car salesman.

Who do you think SPONSORS AND OWNS this site ??? :rolleyes:

Of course, since the advice is being given "OFF SITE" from the firm's normal place of business, you are legally allow to apply for a three-day "cooling off period" and a full refund of all your membership fees.

As are those who believe your backpeddling crap.
"Those who believe", so far have made their appreciation known. As a matter of fact, of the op's who let the forum know the tentative outcome of their "case", there has not been a negative response.

Not that there haven't been some negative reactions, like the ones from you and your twin jet. Your responses remind me of the line from Shakespeare, "Methinks the lady doth protest too much." I am certain that you both rue the fact that I am a reasonable speller, and possess some ability syntactically as you both thrive on nitpicking on any such deficiences rather than answering simple questions.

Take our last "epic" debate on odometer fraud (op= supmom). She graciously thanked us BOTH for our advice and stated that she had used BOTH of our ideas. It would be gratuitous for me to note that I was unable to divine WHAT aspect of your heady, emotional ravings she used (not to mention your massive backpeddle at the end!), while mine stood out clearly, but when you start talking about my "backpeddling crap", I don't mind doing so.

As for the sponsors of this site, I frequently advise the op to "click on the red bar", or otherwise contact appropriate counsel.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">