• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sue mother-in-law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
I never said that I don't love my child. It difficult to take care of her, but I love her and I will never abandon her. It is not her fault.
It's no one's fault. You're looking for somebody to blame so you can find a way to ease your burden, but no one is to blame. Not your mother-in-law, and certainly not any of the people on this board.

I resent your sarcastic suggestions that anyone here should give you money, or that we don't know "what it's like". We have our own families to take care of, and there are people here that have children with special needs.

Your attempt to find a way to sue your mother-in-law because of your child's difficulties is extremely offensive and comes across as greedy and mercenary. It's no wonder you're getting these types of responses.

Shay-Pari'e

Hi, thank you for your responses.
My family don't have any genetic or developmental problems. My daughter's genetic disorder is very rear. There were only 57 live birth with this disorder registered in North America. Most pregnancies are ending up stillborn.
If my MIL would share all the medical history with me, I would take my husband to the genetic doctor before I got pregnant. During pregnancy I would insist on amniosintoses. There were couple cases documented when doctors advised mothers to have an abortion.
And dear mommyof4, you have no idea what it takes to take care of a disabled child. My daughter is 4 years old now.
She doesn't talk, she doesn't play with children, she never will get married or have friends, she never will enjoy things like love, friendship, motherhood. If she will learn how to pay for her food it will be miracle
. May be mommyof4 needs to volunteered some of her time in the local group home for people with disabilities for some time, may be she will understand.
I saw 2 phycologists, I don't have any mental problems myself. I don't even have an allergy of any kind, I even don't know what is heartburn. I am in perfect health.
I can't believe how cold hearted you are. Adopt your child out to parents that can show her LOVE, and not worry about the day they can kick her to the curb to *Buy her own food*

Lookinrose:

as previously stated, i'm sure you're going thru alot with your daughter and only wish you the best. unfortunately, health care in this country is what it is. expensive.

however, even if you were to proceed with your lawsuit against your MIL, think about how you would be able to prove intent. the only way you would win your case is if you can prove she knew 100% that your baby would be born with the disabilities she currently has. no doctor, no lawyer, no ob-gyn would even get on the stand and vouch for something like that. its possible, your MIL withheld pertinent information regarding her families medical history. did she do it intentionally? i don't think so.

so you procreated with someone who doesn't come from the perfect gene pool. i'm sure you're doing what's best for your daughter within your financial means. suing your MIL is not going to bring in the dough to pay for your daughter's medical bills and treatment. no lawyer in their right mind would even take on such a case.

refocus the energy your spending on thinking someone is to blame into positive energy for your daughter and for yourself. this country is all about choices. you just have to make the right choice that is available to you.

best of luck.

maryjo

Lookinrose,

Please disregard the disrespectful and immature advice from the people here who have suggested you get sterilized. Their behavior towards you disgusts me.

And yet it DOESNT disgust you that someone who gave birth to a disabled child wants to sue the child's father's family for health problems THEY cant help and wishes she had known earlier so she could ABORT this child? THAT doesnt disgust you? You dont find that disrespectful and immature?

I am a mother of a perfect child who was born premature and very well could have had MANY problems and we both came close to dying during the birth. I am also someone who was born with a physical deformity that required 13 plastic surgeries and skin grafts to repair. I will always have a very large and noticable scar on my face.

And to add to all that, I work with physically and mentally disabled people. And all of them have more heart than the OP here has. While I agree that we should all have the RIGHT to choose abortion it isnt something I would EVER do for any reason. It isnt MY right to judge who deserves to live and die. But to have given birth to a special needs child and to STILL be able to say she wishes she could have aborted...wow...thats just disturbing on so many levels.

And yet you feel sorry for her? What does that say about you?

maryjo

Hi, thank you for your responses.
My family don't have any genetic or developmental problems. My daughter's genetic disorder is very rear. There were only 57 live birth with this disorder registered in North America. Most pregnancies are ending up stillborn.
If my MIL would share all the medical history with me, I would take my husband to the genetic doctor before I got pregnant. During pregnancy I would insist on amniosintoses. There were couple cases documented when doctors advised mothers to have an abortion.
And dear mommyof4, you have no idea what it takes to take care of a disabled child. My daughter is 4 years old now. She doesn't talk, she doesn't play with children, she never will get married or have friends, she never will enjoy things like love, friendship, motherhood. If she will learn how to pay for her food it will be miracle. May be mommyof4 needs to volunteered some of her time in the local group home for people with disabilities for some time, may be she will understand.
I saw 2 phycologists, I don't have any mental problems myself. I don't even have an allergy of any kind, I even don't know what is heartburn. I am in perfect health.
Lookinrose,

You need to calm down. Your child is a four years old. You should REALLY be starting to get over this by now. You are in perfect health? Wonderful. Welcome to the real world where inperfect people abound. We come in all shapes and sizes with all manner of levels of abilities. I DONT know what its like to have a disabled child. But I DO know what its like to take care of FOUR disabled guys. I take more care of them than their own family does. They have very differing levels of ability and no, it isnt easy. I get all four of them on my own. So no...I dont know what its like to deal with ONE disabled child. However, if it was MY child I would consider it a blessing and an honor. In fact, I consider it as such to work with "My Guys". And no, I dont leave my job behind when I go home. I often work extra hours and I am constantly thinking of them, worrying about them and trying to think of different things to do with them.

I respect your anguish over this. My own mother went through a LOT of grief after having me. She then spent the next 10 years trying to find out how to take care of my problem. I went through a year of serious depression after my son was born early due to severe pre-eclampsia. But you know what, if you let it, things like this make you stronger. Right now you are letting it beat you down. You are angry and sad and you are looking for somewhere to place the blame. You dont want to lay claim to it yourself but you feel that it MUST be put somewhere! Fact is, there is NO ONE to blame. Its just something that happens. Genetics or not. When I was born I had something that no one had ever seen before! There was no answers and it took three years before they found a doctor who knew what it was and what to do about it. My parents didnt have much money either. But they worked hard. They NEVER went on government assistance either. It took 10 years after my last operation before the bills were paid off but they did it themselves.

There are programs out there to help you. You just have to find them. Search online. Ask around. Join support groups. If caring for your child is really too much for you then consider putting her in a group home setting. If, after four years, you havent bonded with her to the point where admitting you would have aborted her still doesnt embarrase you...then maybe you should put her in foster care or put her up for adoption. But you DO need counseling. If nothing else then you should look into support groups. You cant do all this alone and you need to work through your emotions about this.

Your daughter is what she is. If you cant love her and accept her then you should do someone else the favor of letting them get the chance to raise her. None of "my guys" can live on their own and only one of them is even capable of taking care of himself. Even that is very limited. Yet they are all a joy to be around and it would break my heart if they werent in my life anymore.

You need to just focus on yourself and your child right now. Forget everything else. Money isnt going to change her and you arent going to wake up one day to find that it was all just a bad dream. This is your reality now and the sooner you accept it, the better off you will both be.

maryjo

Maybe Dear mommyof4 will prove me that I am heartless and she is not and donate my child some of the needed materials for therapies!!!!!!!
Honey you need to stop. You are coming off as nothing but greedy and pathetic. Mommyof4 was only being honest with you. Its time you grow up and get a little maturity.

If YOU cant handle your own child then you have no business expecting someone else to do it for you.

Grayson

If it makes you feel better to blame someone I think you should blame yourself and your husband. Everyone who considers having children and or are pregnant know or should know that there are chances that the baby may not be 100% healthy or prefect. Its a reality you should have considered before trying for children.

Before you were pregnant did you ever talk to the MIL or any other family members of your husband's side about health issues? If not, Why not if you are really concerned about it.

You say your family side is completely healthy which I have to say I don't exactly believe as I have yet to see a side that doesn't have some sort of family health problems even if they are minimal.

You say you love your daughter and would never abandon her, yet are upset because when you asked the MIL to care for her she said no. It isn't her responsibility she wasn't the one who wanted another child. You're trying to fight a pointless battle and are going to ruin your family in the process. Your Daughter may only be 4 now but this isn't helping her. How do you think she'll feel when she is older and realizes that because of her special needs her own mother wishes she could have not had her, had she known.

Caring for anyone a child or anyone with special needs is tiring, exhausting and financially consuming but you are the one who wanted a child and knew that anything could have happened. I'm very sorry this is happening and it is not easy but you need to step up and stop blaming people and care for the daughter and if you really cannot do it consider doing an Open Adoption. If you don't want that route there are organizations, agencies that can and will help if you have to look hard and fight for your Daughter than do so.

I also think you and your husband may benefit to going to a support group for Parents of children with family needs, contact your Hospital and see if they know of what direction to point you in. I agree support is what you need, but not in the form of Money from anyone in the family.

Good Luck.

maryjo

Another money bag, may be you want to sponsor my move?

Oh brother! You just get worse and worse. How old are you exactly? Just because someone else might have a little more money than you doesnt mean you are entitled to it just because life dealt you a rough blow. For your daughter's sake...GROW UP!

Just Blue

I DO know what it is like to have a special needs child. Her problems are some of the same as OP's child has. I can't imagine life without her in it...I just can't. My DD gets speech through Public School...And (gasp!!) ME! I have been working on my DD's speech for 4 years...because I am her MOTHER! If OP hasn't bothered to sit in on speech therapy or any other therapy session so that she or Dad can work on it at home she is neglecting her child.

And most of the sensory "equipment" can be purchased on line at a great savings. Most of the "equipment" can be improvised. Use some imagination! Join a support site or group...Other parents will help you in so many ways.

And really! If the state you are in does not have the resourses...MOVE! If you want to do your best to help your child have any hope of a normal life she will need to start now with her schooling, eval's, therapy and social interaction.

Contact Social Security to see if your daughter qualifies for benefits...you may be able to get a few hundred dollars per month to help with needed items.

Idori

And yet it DOESNT disgust you that someone who gave birth to a disabled child wants to sue the child's father's family for health problems THEY cant help and wishes she had known earlier so she could ABORT this child? THAT doesnt disgust you? You dont find that disrespectful and immature?

I am a mother of a perfect child who was born premature and very well could have had MANY problems and we both came close to dying during the birth. I am also someone who was born with a physical deformity that required 13 plastic surgeries and skin grafts to repair. I will always have a very large and noticable scar on my face.

And to add to all that, I work with physically and mentally disabled people. And all of them have more heart than the OP here has. While I agree that we should all have the RIGHT to choose abortion it isnt something I would EVER do for any reason. It isnt MY right to judge who deserves to live and die. But to have given birth to a special needs child and to STILL be able to say she wishes she could have aborted...wow...thats just disturbing on so many levels.

And yet you feel sorry for her? What does that say about you?
Statistically speaking most of the women who seek out and receive abortions in this country are in their thirties with at least one child that they are already raising. Abortion is not primarily used by teenagers who 'made a mistake' too early. It is often a financial consideration about how to care for the children they already have.

I think its great that you choose to work with the disabled. How wonderful for you that you are able to be paid for your services to "your guys". You may be able to care emotionally for free but how long would be able to provide your physical care for them if you were not paid. Could you feed your family and provide care if money for the support of those disabled men weren't coming from somewhere?

This poster is clearly overwhelmed by the prospect of supporting her daughter, who she states she loves, for a lifetimes worth of medical and theraputic expenses. Expenses that will never stop. She sounds angry and she also sounds overwhelmed. I don't find her anymore disgusting than any other human being who is being imperfect and human.

She says she has asked her mother in law for help and the woman is busy shopping or says "She already raised her kids." Is that not also callous? She can't be bothered with helping out with her precious special needs grandchild?

This poster is doing nothing new in wanting to get what help she feels she needs one way or another. People look for a legal solution to family problems when it seems like a viable option. This poster is probably much better served with counseling than a legal battle against someone who probably doesn't have the financial resources to pay up in any case. Counseling not court.

You say "While I agree that we should all have the RIGHT to choose..." I don't care that you would never abort, neither would I, who cares? That is not what I was displaying disgust over. I was disgusted that the focus was not on the depression this poster states she has had for 2 years but was about sterilization instead. I didn't realize they meant it as a serious suggestion. I thought they were just being rude, my mistake.

Depression in a parent affects the quality of life for even a healthy child. Where is your deep compassion for that, Maryjo?

It was also great of you to rub her nose in the fact that your child is perfect and you are wonderful and compassionate.

Everybody has their problems. This poster is no different and neither are you. I bet if you look real hard you can find where you fall short of your own golden standards, Maryjo. What does that say about you?

You pan my feeling compassion for her then in your next post you tell her how you respect her anguish. Double standard. You think she'll only read every other post? Gee, your human too. Wow.

maryjo

Statistically speaking most of the women who seek out and receive abortions in this country are in their thirties with at least one child that they are already raising. Abortion is not primarily used by teenagers who 'made a mistake' too early. It is often a financial consideration about how to care for the children they already have.

Do you have facts to back up those statistics? I am not saying you are wrong. But its the first time I have ever heard that. Why are pro-choice groups constantly on college campuses then?

I think its great that you choose to work with the disabled. How wonderful for you that you are able to be paid for your services to "your guys". You may be able to care emotionally for free but how long would be able to provide your physical care for them if you were not paid. Could you feed your family and provide care if money for the support of those disabled men weren't coming from somewhere?

The thing that always bothers me about my job is the LACK of care from the families. In my family we were always taught that you take care of your own. You do it no matter what. You dont dump them off with other people to take care of them. And its been shown to me time and time again in my lifetime. So yes, I most certainly would find a way to care for my own disabled child if I had one!! And just so you know,I dont get paid much. When you work for a not for profit orgainization it isnt for the big bucks. If I was there to make a lot of money I would have left a long time ago. And one more thing, back to taking care of your own...I have been helping to raise my nephew for the last 2 years...without pay of course.

This poster is clearly overwhelmed by the prospect of supporting her daughter, who she states she loves, for a lifetimes worth of medical and theraputic expenses. Expenses that will never stop. She sounds angry and she also sounds overwhelmed. I don't find her anymore disgusting than any other human being who is being imperfect and human.

I agree. She is human just like the rest of us. And if it hadnt been FOUR YEARS NOW and if she wasnt so rude and negative, I might feel sorry for her. I did feel sorry for her at first. But she is beyond the time when she should have been over this. This isnt something new she just found out. The baby wasnt just born. In fact, she had a STRONG idea this might happen while she was pregnant. How do you NOT know that raising a disabled child is expensive. I can tell you real quick how much it costs. I have seen the monthly bills for our guys at work! But instead of being active in her own life and her child's she is choosing to be angry and bitter and take it out on the world around her. Who exactly is that helping? Hmm?

She says she has asked her mother in law for help and the woman is busy shopping or says "She already raised her kids." Is that not also callous? She can't be bothered with helping out with her precious special needs grandchild?

So now its the grandmother's fault. :rolleyes: What planet do you live on? My grandmother couldnt deal with the way I had been born. She never ONCE came to the hospital any of the 13 times I was in there. She didnt come visit much afterwards either. But she loved me. In fact, I was secretly her favorite. But she simply could not deal with what was wrong with me. And it wasnt HER place to take care of me. She didnt bring me into this world. She didnt demand that my parents conceive me. My parents never expected any help from her. She did occassionally help out financially but how in the world can you fault this grandmother for not wanting to take care of a child that is her's and one that she is probably not able to care for. Meaning this child might have medical needs the grandmother isnt comfortable dealing with. A lot of people are uncomfortable with things like that. One SMALL example: I dont have a problem wiping the butt of a 67 year old man who cant do it for himself...but not everyone can stomach something like that. This grandmother, probably like my own, probably also feels quilty about what happend and she obviously doesnt know how to cope any better than the child's mother. Where is the mother's mother anyway? Why does this all come down to the child's father's mother?

This poster is doing nothing new in wanting to get what help she feels she needs one way or another. People look for a legal solution to family problems when it seems like a viable option. This poster is probably much better served with counseling than a legal battle against someone who probably doesn't have the financial resources to pay up in any case. Counseling not court.

Yep. I agree

You say "While I agree that we should all have the RIGHT to choose..." I don't care that you would never abort, neither would I, who cares? That is not what I was displaying disgust over. I was disgusted that the focus was not on the depression this poster states she has had for 2 years but was about sterilization instead. I didn't realize they meant it as a serious suggestion. I thought they were just being rude, my mistake.

Maybe you should hang out awhile longer before trying to judge any of the regulars here. This woman obviously needs help. Mental, emotional, physical and financial help. But she also said that a doctor told her she has NO mental problems. This woman is in denial. Frankly, I dont care if you care about my personal convictions. I posted that for the benefit of anyone who MIGHT care and might misconstrue what I was about to say. My confusion was why you would feel disgusted that people here would suggest she get fixed so as not to bring any more children into this world that she can not take care of...yet you DIDNT find disgust at her comment that she would have had no trouble aborting this child she has had now for FOUR YEARS! For someone to still think that, even if they thought it while pregnant, after four years is seriously disturbing. By now she should have bonded somewhat with the child. You should really feel more concern for this child who is being raised by a woman who obivously doesnt care too much for this child than what anyone here has to say about it. And if you dont like what anyone has to say, you are free to not come here and read it.

Depression in a parent affects the quality of life for even a healthy child. Where is your deep compassion for that, Maryjo?

Maybe you should read some of my posts. I have GREAT compassion and sympathy for depression in mothers considering I experienced it myself. Not just PPD but also PTSD! For a year I was a complete wreck. But I realized that my son was more important and I had to get the heck over it.

It was also great of you to rub her nose in the fact that your child is perfect and you are wonderful and compassionate.

I should have counted on you to MISUNDERSTAND that point. The POINT was that my son was born premature. He weighed 3 and a half pounds. He spent a month in the NICU. Right before the birth and during the birth either one of us could have died. Its a MIRACLE he survived and had no lasting effects from it. But the first few years of his life went easy and they werent like a "normal" child's first few years are.

Everybody has their problems. This poster is no different and neither are you. I bet if you look real hard you can find where you fall short of your own golden standards, Maryjo. What does that say about you?

Are you kidding me? Did you read ANY of my posts? If you did you would have read that I was born with a facial disfigurment that requried 13 plastic surgeries and skin grafts. I will live the rest of my life with a huge, very noticable scar on my face. The last operation almost killed me and I was 10 years old. My developed severe pre-eclampsia when I was pregnant and my son was born at barely 33 weeks, weighing 3 and a half pounds and spent a month in the NICU. We both could have died during that time. I have no GOLDEN STANDARDS. I accept everyone...AS IS. But I will not let someone wallow in self pity while expecting the rest of the world to take care of their responsibilities. It sucks..yes. But its time for the OP to put her big girl panties on and DEAL.

You pan my feeling compassion for her then in your next post you tell her how you respect her anguish. Double standard. You think she'll only read every other post? Gee, your human too. Wow.

Unless you are the OP...then you are taking my comments to HER personally. And thats just odd. I didnt say anything about your compassion to her. I pointed out your hypocrisy in slamming the regulars here for their comments and yet just ignoring the fact that this mother wishes she had been able to abort this child. If you cant see the problem in that...then there is no hope for you. I DID respect her anguish until I read some more of her posts. Now she just sounds like a pathetic little child who doesnt know how to handle the hand life dealt her. She wants to blame everyone else and wants someone else to come handle her responsibility. She is rude and immature. And I lost my respect for her anguish. Like I said, its been 4 years. Its time to deal. That might seem tough...but sometimes thats what we need.

Time for you to come down off your high horse and leave that planet you must be living on.

Grayson

The OP didn't ask for simple help, she wants the Grandmother to care for the child. It isn't the responsibility to do that.

Idori

Your a facinating poster maryjo. Please go on posting.

I think the regulars here are all adults capable of addressing me directly. Those who cared to did. I thought they were being snide. They told me the were being serious. My misunderstanding was cleared up between me and them. No big deal.

You want to address my hypocrisy. But you still haven't addressed yours.

You shouted..."I accept everyone...AS IS." Where is your acceptance of people with a different level and idea of compassion than yours?

I think seeing her get help for herself will make her better able to experience the rewards of having her child, special needs and all. Saying she would have considered an abortion doesn't make her bad. It makes her honest. She doesn't see it like you, so what, she isn't you.

Please tell me more about your harrowing near-death birth experience. This has something to do with this womans thread but I need to get a lot more detail to see how. Please go on.

No one is capable of diagnosing this poster here. She needs help and knows she is depressed. Being supportive of her getting help for a problem she knows she has, has nothing to do with you.

Last edited:

lookinrose

Thank you for all your responses nice and not so nice. I overcame grief of having a disable child. I know that every pregnansy has risk. Some families has unusually high risk, some average. If family has elevated risk of genetic problems then parents has to talk to their children about it when children are starting looking at the opposite sex. In my case my husband even didn't know that his cousins are albino.
I found out about my husbands family problems this past summer, it haven't been a year since. I can't understand why MIL didn't tell earlier, while we were dating, going to OB-GYN, going to genetic doctor first time, going to the genetic doctor second time. Even thou nothing can be changed now, that information would have played a decision making role in the past.
I think that participation in this forum was quite an experience. Very valuable. This is my first time. Now I know that there are many people (not all of them) who are trying to push there values and opinions on others, but doesn't want to be responsible for their believes like momyof4.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">