• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sustainable Farmer doesn't live a life where I can pay CS

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yes I could get assisted living but I'd rather build my own house.
Do you own a mill for the boards you used? Do you own a forge to make the nails you used?

Yes I could get utility assistance but I'd rather build and maintain my own stoves.
Where'd you get the materials to build the stove?

I have given her money when she's asked and he's only 8 months old.
Now she doesn't need to ask...

tranquility

You either have to pay the money, motion for a change, or suffer the consequences to violating a child support order. (We could add, disappear into the night where no one can find you to make the theory complete.)

From what you've written, I don't know if you have a change in circumstances to make a motion for change. But, you did not describe how you got to the situation you are in. That leaves pay the money or suffer the consequences. No one cares how hard your choices make your life. No one cares if you work hard now. You get the order changed or you have the potential to go to jail or prison.

Personally, I'd find an attorney who takes chickens. He will give you the best possible result.

commentator

The truth of the matter is that someone, somewhere has to be caring for this child. If your wife is receiving government aid and she is taking care of a young child, she is not going to be forced out into the labor market so that she would have to pay for child care. But eventually, yes, since she doesn't want to live "off the grid" with you, she'll have to get a job and become self supporting and be taking care of about half her child's needs. But whether you choose to be off the grid or not, you still have about half of the expenses for this child to come up with. And it will be paid through the state system, NOT directly to the mother, so you can't bribe her with free eggs and natural products.

I saw someone go to court and explain to the judge that he did have a job, his job was playing poker on the internet. The judge told him he was to come up with xxx amount of child support a month from this day forward, or spend serious time in jail. Believe me, if you spend time in jail, your farm will really go down. Get a job, sell something, come up with the child support which is ridiculously low, or be prepared to spend your time where you are eating your meals (not organic) out of ziplocs provided by a contractor.

RRevak

OP I own, live on, and work on a farm. My days begin at 5 am and end somewhere around 8 pm so trust me when I say I know farm life.

BUT, even with the demands it brings that does NOT mean you get to forgo supporting your child/children. Your monthly amount is measly at best and can be easily made with a bit of outside work, some selling of items such as produce, eggs or meat birds, and even giving lessons in sustainable living to those who are interested in taking the plunge. Its not really that hard to come up with around $75 a week. Really, it just isn't. You could look at this way, it would bring in a few extra dollars AND bring attention to how it really is possible to live a self sustaining lifestyle and still be a productive citizen (something many say isn't possible). Win win. Heck, if you were able to make and maintain a home all on your own then it isn't beyond the realm of possibility that you make a few bucks helping others build theirs. Just be specific up front about no bartering for services. There are ways if you really want them. Is your ex going to do the same? Maybe, and maybe not. But you don't have a dog in that fight. The court just won't ding mom for not working in ways that make you happy. Yes I know it stinks but some things just are what they are. Do right by your child/children regardless of the decisions your ex makes or doesn't make.

Last edited:

RRevak

Maybe if they're really pretty...right?
Darlin, if you knew what chicken people (I mean the reeeeeal hardcore chicken people) were willing to pay for some of those breeds you would be floored. OG could easily sell some of them to those fruitloops and re-"coop" her monetary losses! :D

Last edited:

Proserpina

Darlin, if you knew what chicken people (I mean the reeeeeal hardcore chicken people) were willing to pay for some of those breeds you would be floored. OG could easily sell some of them to those fruitloops and re-"coop" her monetary losses! :D
OP's going to be in a fowl mood when he reads all this ...

Then again, maybe he's just winging it? Maybe he's a chick-magnet and a new mother hen might make him happier?

HomesteadFarmer

OP I own, live on, and work on a farm. My days begin at 5 am and end somewhere around 8 pm so trust me when I say I know farm life.

BUT, even with the demands it brings that does NOT mean you get to forgo supporting your child/children. Your monthly amount is measly at best and can be easily made with a bit of outside work, some selling of items such as produce, eggs or meat birds, and even giving lessons in sustainable living to those who are interested in taking the plunge. Its not really that hard to come up with around $75 a week. Really, it just isn't. You could look at this way, it would bring in a few extra dollars AND bring attention to how it really is possible to live a self sustaining lifestyle and still be a productive citizen (something many say isn't possible). Win win. Heck, if you were able to make and maintain a home all on your own then it isn't beyond the realm of possibility that you make a few bucks helping others build theirs. Just be specific up front about no bartering for services. There are ways if you really want them. Is your ex going to do the same? Maybe, and maybe not. But you don't have a dog in that fight. The court just won't ding mom for not working in ways that make you happy. Yes I know it stinks but some things just are what they are. Do right by your child/children regardless of the decisions your ex makes or doesn't make.

That's the realist and most helpful post yet because you "get" it. My main issue was since this was just thrown on me all of a sudden I find it hard to get everything in order for spring (the busiest season) and still make some extra money or find another job. The matter of the fact is that I'm going to get a little behind before everything is in order. I make money already selling products but I could offer lessons also. The money I make is pretty much all used up for feed and gas and things I can't make like barrels, copper, and roofing, etc...
Just so you all know there are 20+ chickens, 8 pigs, 8 goats and sheep, 2 ducks, 2 milk cows, and 1 turkey.
I guess it's realistic selling some off or making more products, but I really dislike giving her the satisfaction of not lifting a finger and getting everything she needs no matter how much I like her or liked her. I don't think anyone in this society should get handouts for any reason if they're not willing to put forth any effort.
Wouldn't be much of an issue if I knew where the money was going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">