• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Served papers from ex

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmb1179

OP, I know that this is your first go-'round with this kind of stuff, but don't borrow trouble.

Don't over-complicate it, ok? :)

If the wife isn't a danger to your son (i.e, drives drunk with baby in car, etc.) there's no reason not to let her pick-up/drop-off.

I know you feel that you are in a power-struggle with her, and she has caused that, but just remember that you are MOM, and your rights trump hers everytime because where baby is concerned, she has no rights.

But she is baby's step-mom, and is just 1 more person to love baby. It would be in baby's best interests to try and foster a good relationship between baby and dad and step-mom.

Your son is so young, and you have the opportunity to do things right from the very start.

Remember that as baby gets older, he will be spending time with dad and step-mom. Try your best to not put growing baby in the middle. The worst thing that can happen is for baby to feel that he has to choose between you and dad/step-mom.

I realize that step-mom is not making things easy. She really just needs to grow up.

But do everything you can to foster a good relationship for everyone involved. Sometimes you just have to grin and bear it. Kill 'em with kindness. At the end of the day, you will know that you did what was best for baby, and when baby grows up, he will know that you tried your hardest for him.

aleayh01

Hold up, let me put this out there. I'm not putting my neck out there to please no step-mom, damn that! She stated to me several times that she did not want anything to do with my son or me. She said that she feels that she need to compete because I gave her husband what she wanted to give him in the first place. As far as growing baby being around dad and step-mom, she expressed several times that she dont want to deal with the fact that I have to be around when it concerns our son, so f*** her and her husband. I will continue to bring my baby around his father, BUT if she EVER get out of line and abuse or treat our child wrong in any way, well************** the rest is history

BUT you rock kmb1179!!:D

aleayh01

I need to deal with the fact that another WOMEN is going to be in our son's life and SHE need to deal with the fact that ANOTHER women will be in her life:D

kmb1179

Hold up, let me put this out there. I'm not putting my neck out there to please no step-mom, damn that! She stated to me several times that she did not want anything to do with my son or me. She said that she feels that she need to compete because I gave her husband what she wanted to give him in the first place. As far as growing baby being around dad and step-mom, she expressed several times that she dont want to deal with the fact that I have to be around when it concerns our son, so f*** her and her husband. I will continue to bring my baby around his father, BUT if she EVER get out of line and abuse or treat our child wrong in any way, well************** the rest is history

BUT you rock kmb1179!!:D
Whoa, slow down, girl!

I'm not saying that you have to put your neck out there to please her.

But someone has to be the bigger person here. It will look much better if it is you.

I think this is really just going to take time. This is all very new to all of you involved, and time and maturity are the only things that will help.

You just need to keep your cool at all times.

MrsK

OP- one thing to remember...

while no judge is going to order you to let her into your home...once the baby starts going with his father...the stepmom WILL be involved in his life and make decisions while he is over there. Its a fact of life. Obviously she wont make BIG decisions, but she will make some small ones. & its probably not worth getting into a pissing contest with her. Be the bigger person....ignore her. You'll look better in court, esp if for some reason she goes in front of the judge & makes an ass out of herself. It'll probably drive her CRAZY anyway if you dont play into her games. And def. do not ask for no 3rd party pickups just to spite her, like others said, that could bite you in the butt.

You SHOULD ask for FROR, which means if he is gone for more than X # of hours, he has to call you & ask if you want to watch the baby, rather than leaving the baby with the wife.

TinkerBelleLuvr

First right of refusal works both ways .... but if my memory serves me right, it's like 45 minutes distance between the two. Don't know about you, but I would NOT be willing to drive 1.5 hours because I was going to be gone for 3 hours. Now, i'm gone 5 hours and chewed up a ton of gas.

Last edited:

aleayh01

while no judge is going to order you to let her into your home...once the baby starts going with his father...the stepmom WILL be involved in his life and make decisions while he is over there. Its a fact of life. Obviously she wont make BIG decisions, but she will make some small ones. & its probably not worth getting into a pissing contest with her. Be the bigger person....ignore her. You'll look better in court, esp if for some reason she goes in front of the judge & makes an ass out of herself. It'll probably drive her CRAZY anyway if you dont play into her games. And def. do not ask for no 3rd party pickups just to spite her, like others said, that could bite you in the butt.

You SHOULD ask for FROR, which means if he is gone for more than X # of hours, he has to call you & ask if you want to watch the baby, rather than leaving the baby with the wife.
Hey when you say she'll be making SMALL DECISIONS what exactly do you mean? I'm gonna assume small decision when it involves HOUSE RULES or something of that sort. As far as anything else, can fathom it.

aleayh01

Whoa, slow down, girl!

I'm not saying that you have to put your neck out there to please her.

But someone has to be the bigger person here. It will look much better if it is you.

I think this is really just going to take time. This is all very new to all of you involved, and time and maturity are the only things that will help.

You just need to keep your cool at all times.
I can dig it, I just needed to put that out there:D

MrsK

Hey when you say she'll be making SMALL DECISIONS what exactly do you mean? I'm gonna assume small decision when it involves HOUSE RULES or something of that sort. As far as anything else, can fathom it.
By small decisions, I mean day to day decisions while he is with the father. For example, my husband makes decisions for my kids with my ex when they are here...

Big things would be like where the kid goes to school/daycare, in general medical care...

aleayh01

I'm good as long as his father is present and has the final say in these small decisions..... BUT it will be know that there will be no overstepping boundaries here

Thanks for the info:D

kmb1179

Hey kmb1179, did you find any info regarding the law about recording conversation in Georgia?

Much thanks!
Sorry, I had forgotten all about that! :eek:

I just did a cursory search, and it would appear that in GA, you can record telephone conversations between you and another person without telling them that you are recording.

Let me look some more, and I'll post relevant sites.

:)

kmb1179

Here is the GA Statute that provides that you may record a conversation you are a party to, or a conversation between 2 other parties, as long as 1 party to the conversation gives consent:

Ga. Code Ann. § 16-11-62: Secretly recording or overhearing a conversation held in a private place, whether carried out orally or by wire or electronic means, is criminally punishable as a felony under statutory provisions regarding invasions of privacy. However, the law expressly provides that it does not prohibit a person who is a party to a conversation from recording and does not prohibit recording if one party to the conversation has given prior consent. Ga. Code Ann. § 16-11-66.

So, yes you can record your conversations with your ex.

But, let me give you a piece of advice about that, from my own personal experience:

Judges are not stupid. They will see through any attempts you make to goad him into saying what you want him to say. Just be careful.

CJane

So, yes you can record your conversations with your ex..
I HATE this advice. Seriously.

I know that LEGALLY it's correct to say that GA is a one party state.

HOWEVER, that applies to LANDLINES only. And it applies to IN STATE CALLS only. And just because it's legal to record something does NOT mean that it will EVER be admissible in court.

Unless it serves a REAL and CONSTRUCTIVE purpose, I think it's ALWAYS a bad idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">