• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will I lose my welfare and section 8 hud housing if i get married?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DeenaCA

Oh for heaven's sake! Does this post really justify five pages of abuse? The OP is not going to jail over this. The husband may be subject to deportation if his visa has expired. ICE may or may not be interested in tracking him down.

On the housing issue, families that include ineligible noncitizens are eligible for assistance. The assistance is pro-rated to exclude the ineligible person(s). Your family now is you, your husband and 2 children, correct? You would be eligible to 3/4 of the assistance you receive now, so your subsidized rent could increase. Google "HUD Handbook 4350.3" and read section 3-12. Note that your husband must pass a criminal background check in order to live in the subsidized apartment. Housing will not report your husband to ICE.

On the welfare issue, welfare recipients marry illegal aliens every day of the week. The illegal alien is not eligible for welfare benefits, but the otherwise-eligible spouse and (separate or mutual) children can continue to receive benefits. When a welfare recipient gets married, he or she is not automatically terminated from the program. Welfare rules vary by state, so research your state's program.

As long as you report your marriage and living situation to welfare and housing, you will most likely be eligible to continue on both programs (however your husband will not qualify for any benefits). Do not conceal your situation.

I don't know where the rest of you live, but in my state hundreds of thousands of illegal aliens live, rent and buy housing, work, operate businesses, get married and have children who are US citizens. For those of you who went loco on the subject, take it up with Congress.

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

This is not about housing and welfare. This is about housing, welfare and whatever other fraud she may have committed. It is also about immigration fraud and immigration law. Sorry if you did not understand that.:cool:

justalayman

I don't know where the rest of you live, but in my state hundreds of thousands of illegal aliens live, rent and buy housing, work, operate businesses, get married and have children who are US citizens. For those of you who went loco on the subject, take it up with Congress.
but how many of them have a now spouse but was not until recently that claims her address as their place of residence yet finds some need to stay at a cousins house at night so they can claim he does not live with the wife?

there is obviously something going on. Exactly what it is I cannot say. That is why I stated previously that as long as OP is being truthful on their monthly filings they should be fine. If they lie, they risk some consequences.

DeenaCA

This is the question I answered:

Will I lose my welfare and section 8 hud housing if i get married?
It's not fraud unless she lies to get benefits. Your responses in this thread are inaccurate and abusive.

Anysa

Apparently, with all due respect, you did not see the forest because of the trees.
maybe you are right...or maybe not..

"APPLICATION FOR BENEFITS
The report must be made within 10 calendar days from the end of the month in which the gross monthly
income exceeds the 130 percent FPIGs.

I must report changes in my circumstances within the first 10 calendar days of the month following the
month of the change, unless I am in Semiannual reporting for Food Stamp benefits. "

OHRoadwarrior

Which is why I said to refer to the last certifications you sent in, for each benefit. They should list the reporting deadlines. See post 68.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">