• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will I lose my welfare and section 8 hud housing if i get married?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sandyclaus

During the day we go at grocery, taking care of the kids, ...do stuff together...and at night he sleeps at his cousin house....his cousin doesn't support him, he goes there only to sleep.....I was afraid if Section 8 will know he is staying where I'm staying, they'll throw me out.... he can't work because he doesn't have Employment Authorization... After he gets his Employment Authorization, we want to move and buy a house just for us....but, my question is still standing....just for who knows the answer there's no need to complicate the discussion and speak off topic.
SO, tell us.

Your new husband doesn't work - at least, not legally - because he can't due to the restrictions on his visa.

He is sleeping at his cousin's house, but the cousin doesn't support him (he only sleeps there, and he spends the rest of the time with you).

So, how does he support HIMSELF?

Because it seems to me that if you are poor enough to require Section 8 housing, welfare, and other needs-based assistance to make ends meet for you and your children, you could hardly afford to support your new husband's living expenses on top of your own. Unless, of course, he IS working, under the table, so he could still be earning a living without an employment authorization. And maybe he sweetened the pot by handing you a little spending money in exchange for marrying him, so that he could try to immigrate with his non-immigrant J-1 visa. That really sounds like the only logical explanation for this whole charade.

OHRoadwarrior

Since things have calmed down, I was going to get to that. For hubby to have obtained a J1, he needed to prove he had sufficient assets to pay for his school and support while in the US. You are now required to report those assets, as your caseworker noted.

Anysa

SO, tell us.

Your new husband doesn't work - at least, not legally - because he can't due to the restrictions on his visa.

He is sleeping at his cousin's house, but the cousin doesn't support him (he only sleeps there, and he spends the rest of the time with you).

So, how does he support HIMSELF?

Because it seems to me that if you are poor enough to require Section 8 housing, welfare, and other needs-based assistance to make ends meet for you and your children, you could hardly afford to support your new husband's living expenses on top of your own. Unless, of course, he IS working, under the table, so he could still be earning a living without an employment authorization. And maybe he sweetened the pot by handing you a little spending money in exchange for marrying him, so that he could try to immigrate with his non-immigrant J-1 visa. That really sounds like the only logical explanation for this whole charade.
he worked...until we got married, he has his money, earn by working.....he pays an amount for staying there... he doesn't want to be on Welfare or Hud....he is honest, just like me.....he doesn't want to get into trubles, doesn't want to work "under the table" ..okay.... I understand when you accuse me...because you don't belive me....but, ask yourself a question.....what if this woman is telling the truth?

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

He was illegally working. That is a 2 Federal crimes he committed. He is not honest. In fact he apparently continues to break any law that he chooses. Is it really in the best interests of your children to continue this charade and become a party to his crimes?

he worked...until we got married, he has his money, earn by working.....he pays an amount for staying there... he doesn't want to be on Welfare or Hud....he is honest, just like me.....he doesn't want to get into trubles, doesn't want to work "under the table" ..okay.... I understand when you accuse me...because you don't belive me....but, ask yourself a question.....what this woman is telling the truth?

Last edited:

Just Blue

he worked...until we got married, he has his money, earn by working.....he pays an amount for staying there... he doesn't want to be on Welfare or Hud....he is honest, just like me.....he doesn't want to get into trubles, doesn't want to work "under the table" ..okay.... I understand when you accuse me...because you don't belive me....but, ask yourself a question.....what this woman is telling the truth?
Can you please tell me in what country you are from? ...

Because in this country...we don't...between ...every ...4 words...:rolleyes:

...but you know that...;)

Why did he stop working when you got married?

Why shouldn't his money be considered as part of your household for benefit calculations after marriage?

Proserpina

(This is a troll, but for the sake of someone in a similar situation)

RoadWarrior brings up a very valid point - well, so have many of you but it's only this one I'm addressing - and it's to do with the legal status of the husband.

OP, how are you going to fill out the Affidavit Of Support?

(You never did ask why he's not subject to the 2 year "home" rule, by the way)

Anysa

Can you please tell me in what country you are from? ...

Because in this country...we don't...between ...every ...4 words...:rolleyes:

...but you know that...;)
like I told you...trying feeding your 2 kids and talk on the internet at the same time.... and then you will see what the cause for my mistakes....

Anysa

He was illegally working. That is a 2 Federal crimes he committed. He is not honest. In fact he apparently continues to break any law that he chooses. Is it really in the best interests of your children to continue this charade and become a party to his crimes?

he worked legally......or...do you know him? do you know something about him?....so, if you don't know you better ....."keep your mouth shut"

Anysa

Why did he stop working when you got married?

Why shouldn't his money be considered as part of your household for benefit calculations after marriage?
hey , did you read all posts?************** I want this to happen...but "the lady from Welfare" doesn't want any documents

Anysa

(This is a troll, but for the sake of someone in a similar situation)

RoadWarrior brings up a very valid point - well, so have many of you but it's only this one I'm addressing - and it's to do with the legal status of the husband.

OP, how are you going to fill out the Affidavit Of Support?

(You never did ask why he's not subject to the 2 year "home" rule, by the way)
this is not the issue raised here....I will deal with this later, but now....I want an answer for this question.....hoping......someone will answer...one day...

CSO286

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I got married 3 weeks ago. I beneficiate from Welfare, Foodstamps and staying in a apartament provided from section 8. My husband does not live with me (because I was afraid of section 8) and has no income. Today I went on Welfare and I announced that I married. The welfare lady started screaming at me and asked me why I married someone who has income ... and said that he (my husband)or who maintains him (my husband)have to pay for me

Can someone help me to tell me what should I do?
Thank you
this is not the issue raised here....I will deal with this later, but now....I want an answer for this question.....hoping......someone will answer...one day...
I answered your question all the way back on the first page. Tell the truth to all agencies and you may or may not lose your benefits. It all depends on the eligibility requirements.
That question is not a legal one, it's a policy one and you need to direct it to the agencies you are getting benefits from.

I also find it had to believe that you married this man and don't cohabitate with him.

I'll leave it to Pro and other seniors to address the legalites related to his Visa and immigration status.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">