• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue them?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
You need to read the constitution. We have a right to practice our religious beliefs first of all. Second of all a make up day could have been appointed. Third he put his hand in my daughters face. Fourth he made fun of Ramadan our religion. 5th he didn’t record her score. Sixth he left students unattended. This is the same ass of a teacher who gave my daughters friend an F for a class because she had an allergic reaction in his class and had to go to the nurse. Thank you for being understanding thought. I guess my daughter not being able to breath and feeling dizzy wasn’t a major concern.
Ugh. One of those teachers.

I think what would be far more useful would be for you to approach the school board in your district. There should be school district policies already that recognize and protect the needs of students representing non-majority faiths. If these policies are not already in effect in your district, you need to propose changes. You need not do this alone - in fact, it would be better if you approach this as a group. Possible people to include in your group would be: 1) other members of your faith community, and 2) members of interfaith group(s) in your area. Working with the school board will help to ensure that not just your daughter, but all children, are protected and allowed to practice their religion without having to make a choice between their health and a passing grade.

If your school board is particularly clueless and unsympathetic, the next tact would be to address this at the state level.

quincy

I agree that working with the school is the way to start. Lawsuits should always be the last options considered.

Mfahoum

I didn't read it as mocking her faith ...but I see where one could interpret it that way ...but none of us, including OP was there so it's really third hand ...I've sat and watched youngsters in HS PE who are supposed to be running ...and doing anything but running ....and the observation that other PE teachers allow other students to sit out the class is not relevant. But OP you are now adding other new things to your post ...and some things that seem to be poor teaching ...poor teaching is not discrimination ....he might be a jerk and leaving students unattended is a red flag ..but neither you nor I were there ...and some teachers are expected to be two places at once and juggle things wo comment ...if teacher was routinely missing from the scene in gym and no other teachers present I'd say that's a problem to investigate by administration ..a safety issue ..My daughters AP English teacher was there only for start of class ...and routinely covered other duties ....lots of dumb things ...but not motivated by religion.

Challenging a student who is not running then stopping the challenge when the student answers can be taken at least two ways. And it's even possible teacher did not know her religion
He knew what her religion was and she was fasting for 18 hours without water I think you do not understand that in the constitution we ARE allowed to practice our religious beliefs. My daughter is an Honor roll student for 7 years now with practically all AP classes. We have never had this happen before.

Mfahoum

Ugh. One of those teachers.

I think what would be far more useful would be for you to approach the school board in your district. There should be school district policies already that recognize and protect the needs of students representing non-majority faiths. If these policies are not already in effect in your district, you need to propose changes. You need not do this alone - in fact, it would be better if you approach this as a group. Possible people to include in your group would be: 1) other members of your faith community, and 2) members of interfaith group(s) in your area. Working with the school board will help to ensure that not just your daughter, but all children, are protected and allowed to practice their religion without having to make a choice between their health and a passing grade.

If your school board is particularly clueless and unsympathetic, the next tact would be to address this at the state level.
Thank you I have contact CAIR today for this very reason. Thank you for understanding my situation.

Mfahoum

Good. I don't mind reading the Constitution again but I sort of had other plans for tonight. :)

Many public schools in the country have become, or are becoming, better educated about Ramadan. With this education comes a greater understanding of Muslim students' possible needs during this period.

The PE teacher might be nothing more than ignorant. That could be the best that is said of the teacher.
Thank you for making me laugh. you are correct. In my daughters old school they were very understanding when it came to religion.

LdiJ

Yes I have and they are investigating but I am not happy with only an investigation. My daughter couldn’t breath and was dizzy. She had to break her fast and the kids were left unattended during the last half of class outside
What do you believe that they should be doing in addition to an investigation? I could understand you being unhappy if they did an investigation and determined that they would not take any further action, but they are investigating and you do not yet know what action they will take after the investigation. You must at least give them time to investigate and determine what they will do.

Mfahoum

I didn't read it as mocking her faith ...but I see where one could interpret it that way ...but none of us, including OP was there so it's really third hand ...I've sat and watched youngsters in HS PE who are supposed to be running ...and doing anything but running ....and the observation that other PE teachers allow other students to sit out the class is not relevant. But OP you are now adding other new things to your post ...and some things that seem to be poor teaching ...poor teaching is not discrimination ....he might be a jerk and leaving students unattended is a red flag ..but neither you nor I were there ...and some teachers are expected to be two places at once and juggle things wo comment ...if teacher was routinely missing from the scene in gym and no other teachers present I'd say that's a problem to investigate by administration ..a safety issue ..My daughters AP English teacher was there only for start of class ...and routinely covered other duties ....lots of dumb things ...but not motivated by religion.

Challenging a student who is not running then stopping the challenge when the student answers can be taken at least two ways. And it's even possible teacher did not know her religion
What do you believe that they should be doing in addition to an investigation? I could understand you being unhappy if they did an investigation and determined that they would not take any further action, but they are investigating and you do not yet know what action they will take after the investigation. You must at least give them time to investigate and determine what they will do.
If you read up you will see my answer to that. I want some kind of training or teaching session done so that this does not happen again. I can not change what happened but I can try and make sure it does not happen to another child.

Mfahoum

If you read up you will see my answer to that. I want some kind of training or teaching session done so that this does not happen again. I can not change what happened but I can try and make sure it does not happen to another child.
I am already pretty sure he is going to be fired and honestly I hate it cause I know that he probably has a family to feed but we have to watch out for the welfare of our children. But you can not just believe that because he is fired that it will not happen again, it very well could if the tearchers are not educated.

LdiJ

I do understand where you are coming from but a great part of the problem is that children in general attempt to avoid PE classes. A teacher has to determine whether or not the child is claiming something just to avoid PE or whether there is something real going on.

Several religions have periods of fasting and its not generally assumed that children are permitted to avoid PE classes or specific exercising during periods of fasting.

Possibly you could consider lobbying the school district to exempt all students from PE classes during periods of religious fasting.

LdiJ

From second one: (1/2) Gena basically told mr. Schau that she was fasting and Gena was literally telling it to him clearly that she was fasting and he asked "how do you spell r (2/2) amadan" And when Gena was about to spell it he put a hand in her face.
Clearly the teacher's behavior was unacceptable. Nevertheless the potential solution is more global for the school system than just dealing with that teacher.

Perhaps you might want to take things further than just dealing with your daughter's incident. Perhaps you might want to take things further with the school district in general.

Mfahoum

That’s all I was asking about and I recieved many polite suggestions. I also need to know what my options are too. Like I said him being fired will not fix the problem. The problem itself has to be addressed. That’s why I contacted that other office. Maybe setting up a training lesson about how to deal with situations like this in school.

Mfahoum

That’s all I was asking about and I recieved many polite suggestions. I also need to know what my options are too. Like I said him being fired will not fix the problem. The problem itself has to be addressed. That’s why I contacted that other office. Maybe setting up a training lesson about how to deal with situations like this in school.
Thank you for your understanding and replies

quincy

Mfahoum, if you used real names, you might want to edit these names from your posts. This is for your protection, your daughter's protection and the protection of all involved. Thanks.

And I would reread not2cleverRed's post. Red offered you some good suggestions.

We all appreciate the thanks, so thank you. Good luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">