• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can’t put my kids in school

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Just Blue

So I spoke to the school board member today. The one I was given the phone number to. He was very polite to be honest. His solution to this is to borrow me the money to register my kids. I did ask him, okay but what about other kids in same situation as mine? There was no answer for that. He advised me not to seek legal counsel because it wouldn’t help my situation and he know there wouldn’t be much I can do and it would take to long. Then he proceeded to ask if he could help my husband with a job and I told him he already has one and thanked him anyways.
To clarify: Was the School Board Member offering to loan you the money or suggesting you borrow the money from friends/family?

PayrollHRGuy

bor·row
ˈbärō,ˈbôrō/
verb
take and use (something that belongs to someone else) with the intention of returning it.
"he had borrowed a car from one of his colleagues"

Just Blue

Regardless of interpretation, no one should be put in a position where they have to take out a loan or borrow money to enroll their child in a public school.

The law in this case is not vague or ambiguous. The school is clearly violating the law with their "pay first, possible refund later" policy.
IDK...If the official was offering to loan the money ....that smells a lot like a bribe to stay quiet. Which take this to a whole different level. IMPO.

gillbott

Lets talk about a family of 5, 2 parents and three school aged children and the parent's gross income is about 50k a year. This is enough that they do not qualify for any free or reduced anything, but still are living paycheck to paycheck just to cover the basis necessities. In IL they could have school registration fees (in IN its book rental) that could add up to as much as 180.00 for each student and a school supplies list that could add up to another 150.00. So, every August, on top of the need to provide school clothes for their children they are hit up with as much as 330.00 per child.

My granddaughter's school supply list included all of the things that you would normally expect to see on the school supply list, but also included the following:

A large roll of Duct tape (easily 6.00)
A large package of Clorox Wipes (easily 10.00)
A ream of copy paper (about 4.00)
Three packages of tissues (about 6.00)
Three rolls of paper towels (about 6.00)
Three Tupperware containers with lids (about 5.00)
A package of three white board erasers (about 10.00)
A package of six white board markers, (about 10.00)

So, my daughter's school supply list included about 60.00 worth of things that the students should NOT have to supply.

The copy paper makes me almost madder than anything else. Even 25 years ago school districts were limiting copy paper so much that teachers really couldn't function. Back when I had more money than I knew what to do with I used to have a vanload of copy paper and toner delivered to my daughter's school every year...divided up between the classrooms so that the district couldn't control it.
Teachers pay for a lot of this out of pocket in CA. Teachers get about $250. a year to supply their classrooms. Expensive items like whiteboard markers, when supplied to kids for free, are mistreated, stolen or lost. Clorox wipes are for wiping desks and shared class supplies, same wih tissues, because a lot of kids come to school sick, and a middle or high school teacher teaches about 120 kids a day, and may need a sick day or two. Teachers shouldn't have to provide things out of pocket though, they work a lot of weekend hours, no pay.

It's important that things like fancy backpacks and super amazing binders not be chosen, back packs can be used until worn out, stuff like that. Copy paper is a pain to supply, but districts with 10 or more schools run out of their paper stipend, and a lot of copying happens.

gillbott

My cousin is contacting her lawyer for me and I tried to contact abc 7 news but they haven’t called me back. I filled out there form online. I also contact the ACLU. I waiting on a call back from the Mayor to. Just waiting now.
Local NPR affiliate would be good too, you can email them a quick description of what is happening. If they see it as newsworthy they may cover it on air. Who knows, maybe it would get into the NPR stream.

quincy

Teachers pay for a lot of this out of pocket in CA. Teachers get about $250. a year to supply their classrooms. Expensive items like whiteboard markers, when supplied to kids for free, are mistreated, stolen or lost. Clorox wipes are for wiping desks and shared class supplies, same wih tissues, because a lot of kids come to school sick, and a middle or high school teacher teaches about 120 kids a day, and may need a sick day or two. Teachers shouldn't have to provide things out of pocket though, they work a lot of weekend hours, no pay.

It's important that things like fancy backpacks and super amazing binders not be chosen, back packs can be used until worn out, stuff like that. Copy paper is a pain to supply, but districts with 10 or more schools run out of their paper stipend, and a lot of copying happens.
The goal is to get the student registered and in school without having to pay a registration fee first, a registration fee that should be waived for those who cannot afford to pay.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">