• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Ex wants to file for Medicaid for daughter & Herself, BUT, daughter is covered by me

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

CSO286

Our dentist doesn't accept "any medicaid based insurance programs, including child health plus" so it's not the same....So will this effect the dental or vision coverage?
Nothing then would change re dental. Then someone would simply be responsible for whatever the private coverage doesn't pay for.

No (and again it is affect). Seriously, you are trying to find a reason to deny your ex the right to put the child on Medicaid -- aren't you?
And the fun part: he cannot prevent her from doing so.

No (and again it is affect). Seriously, you are trying to find a reason to deny your ex the right to put the child on Medicaid -- aren't you?
I'm trying to make sure it won't effect the medical care our daughter is currently getting, i'm going to call around to all her doctors later in the week and confirm if they take the medicaid insurance, i know that her dentist doesn't just because they have it as one of the first things the recording says when you call....

Let me try to understand this a little better, medicaid will just be supplemental, this means that, it doesn't matter if the doctor accepts medicaid or not, because my insurance is primary??

CSO286

I'm trying to make sure it won't effect the medical care our daughter is currently getting, i'm going to call around to all her doctors later in the week and confirm if they take the medicaid insurance, i know that her dentist doesn't just because they have it as one of the first things the recording says when you call....

Let me try to understand this a little better, medicaid will just be supplemental, this means that, it doesn't matter if the doctor accepts medicaid or not, because my insurance is primary??
RE the bolded:

Yes: The medicaid will pick up a portion of the expenses not covered by the existing insurance
. I wouldn't fight this. It means additional coverage and slightly less expense for you as it is highly unlikely the state will go after you for any type of medical support obligation (not sure if NY does Med spt) as long as you continue to maintain your employer coverage for little Sally.
Amen.

You know what? Doctors don't really care who is paying for their services (private pay, private insurance, medicaid). They just want to be paid for their work.

And it's not like you have to go in and anounce to the billing dept that Sally is now on "welfare" medical. You simply tell them there's a secondary coverage and hand them the card. They'll know what to do. It's no different than if Mom went out and picked up an additional private health care policy on her own.
Nothing then would change re dental. Then someone would simply be responsible for whatever the private coverage doesn't pay for.

And the fun part: he cannot prevent her from doing so.

I wish I could drink.

CSO286

I will be taking CSO's advice....Tell our daughters mother "Go ahead, but i will not be canceling my work insurance on our daughter" I've got to remember to stop worrying and trying to 'fix' things for others, hopefully everything works out for daughters mother, but it's not my job to 'fix' it and make it work out.
When did I say THAT ^^^^?

:cool::rolleyes::confused:
You don't get to give her permission.

I wish I could drink.
Thank you, i posted that before i saw your most recent post about the effects of supplemental medicaid insurance....It's interesting that the medicaid will be based off daughters mothers income($15k), but it will be used to cover the co-pays and deductibles I pay on the insurance through my work while i make Much Much more then that.

Should i contact the medicaid/welfare office and make sure my information is included as the father of our daughter? With my income and current medical coverage?

Last edited:
If i refuse to drop our daughter, can her mother still apply for medicaid for her? Dual Coverage?
RE the bolded:

I wouldn't fight this. It means additional coverage and slightly less expense for you as it is highly unlikely the state will go after you for any type of medical support obligation (not sure if NY does Med spt) as long as you continue to maintain your employer coverage for little Sally.
I will be taking CSO's advice....Tell our daughters mother "Go ahead, but i will not be canceling my work insurance on our daughter" I've got to remember to stop worrying and trying to 'fix' things for others, hopefully everything works out for daughters mother, but it's not my job to 'fix' it and make it work out.
When did I say THAT ^^^^?

:cool::rolleyes::confused:
You don't get to give her permission.
I put it in bold, i said nothing about giving her permission.

CSO286

Thank you, i posted that before i saw your most recent post about the effects of supplemental medicaid insurance....It's interesting that the medicaid will be based off daughters mothers income($15k), but it will be used to cover the co-pays and deductibles I pay on the insurance through my work while i make Much Much more then that.

Should i contact the medicaid/welfare office and make sure my information is included as the father of our daughter?
This ^^^^ accomplishes NOTHING.

They cannot even acknowlege a case exists unless you are on it.

This ^^^^ accomplishes NOTHING.

They cannot even acknowlege a case exists unless you are on it.
Well that's good to know, that means don't acknowledge a case, then my information hasn't been included. But to be honest, i don't really know what information has to be included to get medicaid.

Daughters Mother is going today to the DSS office, maybe i'll go along so i can better figure this out. Should i bring a tin cup with some coins in it and 'dress down' so i better fit in, is 'hobo chic' a thing?

Last edited:

CSO286

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NEW YORK

I'm not sure if this belongs here or under the Family law questions...It's a question about medical insurance, but it also goes into the subjects of child support and Custody orders.

So my daughters mother recently lost her government health insurance, she didn't qualify because, well i guess, because of her income....she called me yesterday to inform me of this and tell me 'the only way she can get back on medicaid is if she includes our daughter on it' and 'she needs to get back on it', basically crying on the phone to me. Our daughter has been covered under my employee healthcare for atleast 3-4 years(as long as i've been employed with this company), it's an expensive plan for me but, IMO, this is part of the 'expense' of raising a child and i'm happy to pay it because it's for our daughter.

To add to this, while we do have a pretty extensive custody plan, we are working on modifying RIGHT NOW, because we are working on modifying it right now, i want to kinda keep friendly with the ex, if i say no to the medicaid, she'll start fighting everything in the new order.

Also, there is no child support ordered now, I've done the math myself and pay about $500-$600 a month(i don't think you need the exact number here) plus all health insurance and non-reimbursed medical bills, plus other expenses, which again i happily pay, because it's money for our daughter(or it's supposed to be). Will medicaid come after me if our daughter is on it?

What do i do?
Do i drop our daughter from my Work insurance and let her mother put her on Medicaid? Risking having the Child support agency come after me?
Do i refuse to drop our daughter from my work insurance and tick off her mom and make our current custody case going into extra innings?
If i refuse to drop our daughter, can her mother still apply for medicaid for her? Dual Coverage?
I put it in bold, i said nothing about giving her permission.

You are right, to a point, If it doesn't effect my or OUR DAUGHTERS, lives it's none of my business, as a father, just like, as a mother, my daughter life is my business, especially her medical situation.....That's why i posted this question, so i could figure out, if/how it would effect either my or our daughters life....

I asked about the DSS coming after me for child/medical support, that would effect my and our daughters life
I asked if i would have to cancel or change our daughters insurance through my job, that would effect my and our daughter life
I asked how the dual coverage plans work, this is something i have to know for doctors appointments and, that would effect my and our daughters life

You're right, i did overstep a bit by asking if her mother will still be able to get government insurance with our daughter only having supplemental government insurance, but that was why her mother was planning this, so if she doesn't, it will effect our daughters life

Every post you've written implies that you feel you can control whether or not mom can do this.

CSO286

Well that's good to know, that means don't acknowledge a case, then my information hasn't been included. But to be honest, i don't really know what information has to be included to get medicaid.

Daughters Mother is going today to the DSS office, maybe i'll go along so i can better figure this out.
This is not your business.
If you are not a party on a public assistance case, the caseworkers cannot discuss a case with you.

What information mom has to report is not your business. (And, no, just because they cannot acknowlege anything to you doesn't mean they don't have info on little Sally's father and all the insurance coverage available to her.)

Stop trying to insert yourself into this.

Jsut because mom may be applying to benefits for herslf and your mutual child doesn't automatically make it your business. Really.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Daughters Mother is going today to the DSS office, maybe i'll go along so i can better figure this out. Should i bring a tin cup with some coins in it and 'dress down' so i better fit in, is 'hobo chic' a thing?
Your post is pompous and demeaning. You come across as a donkey.

Jsut because mom may be applying to benefits for herslfk and your mutual child doesn't automatically make it your business. Really.
You realize, in my specific case you are wrong, all medical decisions including changes to insurance or doctors for our daughter are things that must be agreed to and discussed between both of us. I don't know if all custody orders say that, but i said in the first post, ours is VERY detailed and specific, i made sure nothing was missed.

I don't care what daughters mother does for her insurance, that is 100% her business, but our daughter is both of ours to raise.

Silverplum

You reveal yourself with every post, and it amazes me that anyone would have anything to do with your posts. (CSO is probably just going for sainthood: she looks so good in crowns and rich colors, I don't blame her.)

CSO286

You realize, in my specific case you are wrong, all medical decisions including changes to insurance or doctors for our daughter are things that must be agreed to and discussed between both of us. I don't know if all custody orders say that, but i said in the first post, ours is VERY detailed and specific, i made sure nothing was missed.

I don't care what daughters mother does for her insurance, that is 100% her business, but our daughter is both of ours to raise.
Have a nice day.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

More braying.

Adding insurance isn't the same a changing insurance. I guess High & Mighty Donkey-Man got outsmarted by the poor, ragged-clothed ex.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">