• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is my fate really in the law's hands?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Whoops2u

The one who wishes to communicate is, IMO, the one who needs to do the adaptation. A poster who wishes volunteers to answer his questions for free, for example, should make their question clear. The volunteers should not need to be hunting through text speak and other abbreviations with no punctuation to discern what the poster wants.
I agree. The communicator failed to recognize many who answer here are old and have a completely different contextual existence and something that might seem obvious to a high school kid is not so to those who remember Casey Kasem countin' 'em down. (While knowing he was counting them down.)

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/kaZncwF8bwIdI9uSIleQxP07aOk=/0x0:1409x785/920x613/filters:focal(622x252:846x476):format(webp)/cdn.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_image/image/55701647/Screen_Shot_2017_07_13_at_1.09.20_PM.0.png

That doesn't make him barely literate.

PayrollHRGuy

If those that use Urban Dictionary type slang and write using no, little or intentionally incorrect punctuation are really trying to make all of those things the standard then it is the duty of those that don't to do what we can so our language doesn't devolve into that mess.

@Whoops2u If there was no sarcasm in that post then I will write what I was originally going to. You did have another option with the illiterate employee. Fire him and hire someone else.

Whoops2u

Actually I think he is saying those that DO use proper punctuation, etc., have no desire to communicate.
If you are texting a young person and refuse to acknowledge he is going to react in a certain way to your message, then you don't really want to communicate what is in the message, but some overarching theory of the way things should be--rather than how they are.

If those that use Urban Dictionary type slang and write using no, little or intentionally incorrect punctuation are really trying to make all of those things the standard then it is the duty of those that don't to do what we can so our language doesn't devolve into that mess.

@Whoops2u If there was no sarcasm in that post then I will write what I was originally going to. You did have another option with the illiterate employee. Fire him and hire someone else.
He's a wonderful employee. He didn't do anything wrong. Do none of you manage people substantially younger than yourselves?

Just Blue

If you are texting a young person and refuse to acknowledge he is going to react in a certain way to your message, then you don't really want to communicate what is in the message, but some overarching theory of the way things should be--rather than how they are.

He's a wonderful employee. He didn't do anything wrong. Do none of you manage people substantially younger than yourselves?
I manage someone substantially younger. Her name is lil'blu and she texts in full words (spelled correctly) and with proper punctuation. All of her friends do as well. My eldest and HER friends do the same. Go figure....

xylene

People who have been on the internet for decades should have the lexicon down pretty well, and be able to do a simple context menu google search when something isn't understood.

PayrollHRGuy

Yes I do manage people substantially younger than myself. And while I have no problem with the use of slang if one of them came back angry because they didn't understand my use proper English and punctuation I would not be a happy. Not happy with the employee because of the obvious and not happy with myself because he made it through the hiring process. But my hiring process would have caught someone unable or unwilling to you proper English and punctuation.

Whoops2u

Yes I do manage people substantially younger than myself. And while I have no problem with the use of slang if one of them came back angry because they didn't understand my use proper English and punctuation I would not be a happy. Not happy with the employee because of the obvious and not happy with myself because he made it through the hiring process. But my hiring process would have caught someone unable or unwilling to you proper English and punctuation.
Re-read my post. I'm sorry you did not understand what I wrote--it is clearly my fault. I'll copy it here:

I once had a (young[ish]) worker come in to me an ask why I was so angry about a task I asked clarification on regarding a job I had him do. I asked him over text. Since I had no anger at all, I was confused and asked why he felt that way. He showed me the text and said look at it. I did and found nothing more then a couple of sentences on checking up on a tenant's request.

To clear up my error:

He thought me angry. I was not. I asked why he thought me angry. It was the formality of the writing.

If you wear a suit to a pool party, you may not think you are communicating anything, but you are.

PayrollHRGuy

My fault. But let's say
If you wear a suit to a pool party, you may not think you are communicating anything, but you are.
is what you wrote an employee. It denotes no anger. If the employee doesn't understand what you didn't use an emoticon that's on him.

And yes I see the irony talking about not understanding which started with me misreading your post.

Whoops2u

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
So, let's say that the boss is sitting in his suit in the office of a fortune 500 company and one of his employee walks in wearing a bathing suit (the flip-side of your allegorical statement). Does the boss not have the right to be upset at the employee? The problem is that all too may young-ish folks nowadays seem to think that every situation is a pool party.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">