• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Maine- recent divorce, got house after mediation.........

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bettsadam

You had the opportunity to defend yourself against the RO at some point and either you did not or could not.
Could not, I had no time to do so, I was the stay at home parent with four kids, she was the bread winner, forced to get a job to pay the bills when she up and left for three days, no word to anyone

bettsadam

Could not, I had no time to do so, I was the stay at home parent with four kids, she was the bread winner, forced to get a job to pay the bills when she up and left for three days, no word to anyone
Then boom, the dreaded words, I want a divorce, and I'm moving out

PayrollHRGuy

Sorry not buying it. You went to court for the divorce you could have gone for the RO. For that matter, you could go now.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
that's why im asking if my REAL problem should be addressed in court under contempt
Contempt is appropriate where the court order requires her to do something specific in a set period of time (or at least by default in a reasonable time) and she fails to do it. Does the court order specifically say she has to give you the mortgage information? If the answer to that is no, then a motion for contempt will do no good because there is no order that says she has to give you that. Instead, you'd go to court to seek an order requiring her to give you that information.

If I were in your shoes, I'd seek to have an order that she execute a deed transferring the property to you if the mediation did not specifically address that, and she'd likely seek to have you refinance in your name at the same time (which you'd want to do anyway unless you have poor credit). Then you'd have the house and mortgage in your name and wouldn't need her for anything regarding the house.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">