• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mom signed on with modeling agency w/out my permission

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proserpina

Dad, the bottom line is this. If you're really NOT accepting of this, you can of course get the matter in front of the Judge.

However, unless you can articulate that this would be harmful for your child, you should be prepared for the Judge to rule in Mom's favor.

Then you've wasted a whole lot of time and money and Mom gets what she wants anyway.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
This is a contract we are talking about. A change in lifestyle. I dont need my daughter flying off to here or there to do shoots, etc if she so happens to hit it big. This is a big deal in my book. And I am upset that I was not consulted with prior to.
THAT is the root of this. You're mad because you didn't get to have control of the situation.

Look, while she's with you, she doesn't have to go anywhere. While she's with mom, it's for mom to decide.

Just Blue

Daughter is 8. That is my issue. Can she sign contract for an agencies representation w/o my approval? Even is she does just do the modeling during moms time? Surely she cannot sign a modeling contract w/out the other party's APPROVAL? We have JOINT LEGAL DECISION MAKING.

There is no comparison between soccer and modeling. I feel in a sense with modeling that my child is being exploited, where who knows what is looking at her photos. In soccer she is simply running across a field kicking a ball. big difference.
Actually if a pedophile is intent on exploiting your cild...S/he will do so at a soccer game/gymnastics/school playground/parent(s!!!!) backyard. No court will order a "cotton batting" order for the child to be wrapped in.

This is a contract we are talking about. A change in lifestyle. I dont need my daughter flying off to here or there to do shoots, etc if she so happens to hit it big. This is a big deal in my book. And I am upset that I was not consulted with prior to.
Fact is, she doesn't have to consult with you. As someone already stated, Joint Legal Decision-Making means you have the authority to make the decisions when child is with you for your parenting time... and vice-versa for mom. She obviously made the decision on her own time (she didn't go pick the child up in the middle of your visit to have this done, right?).

Four years ago, my oldest son had the opportunity to be on the YMCA's business cards, flyers, news prints, etc. I asked his dad's opinion, not permission. Ultimately, I made the decision. Only one parent has to sign the permission form. His dad knew I was asking for an opinion to help me make MY decision. They were printed with him on them.

ETA::: If she hits it big, you should be EXTREMELY PROUD of her. It is a TOUGH industry.

Last edited:

nextwife

I have family members in the apparel business, and they worked with models, set up runway shows, used fit models for sizing etc. No way, no how, under no circumstances would I ever consider allowing my child to have anything whatsoever with that end of the industry. Horribly unreasonable body image is encouraged, anorexia rampant, terrible schedules and a disqusting over emphasis on appearance, rather than substance and intellect.

Personally, I would be livid if anyone tried to introduce my child into that lifestyle.

Far better to find intellectually enriching pursuits.

Okay dad, I have a question for you...

If a news photographer were to take a picture of your child playing soccer because she got a goal, or blocked a goal, or whatever... Would you be against it being printed for all eyes to see?
If a child's photo appears because they actually ACHEIVED something of note, that is different than their image appearing in an underwear or uniform ad. And, BTW, my child was offered that opportunity and we turned it down flat.

Last edited:

Proserpina

I have family members in the apparel business, and they worked with models, set up runway shows, used fit models for sizing etc. No way, no how, under no circumstances would I ever consider allowing my child to have anything whatsoever with that end of the industry. Horribly unreasonable body image is encouraged, anorexia rampant, terrible schedules and a disqusting over emphasis on appearance, rather than substance and intellect.

Personally, I would be livid if anyone tried to introduce my child into that lifestyle.

None of which is legally relevant at all.

If a child's photo appears because they actually ACHEIVED something of note, that is different than their image appearing in an underwear or uniform ad. And, BTW, my child was offered that opportunity and we turned it down flat.
I understand where you're coming from. It took me quite a while and a lot of thought to sign the form allowing my son's picture to be used by the Y. However, not all models are starving or anorexic.

Dad has to decide if he wants to take the time and spend the money to go in front of a judge and ask that the permissions be removed. Personally, I cannot see a judge ordering such, but it is possible. Dad also has to remember that if he takes her to a soccer game, the news photographer takes her picture, asks that it be used, and he says yes, all hell is going to break loose with mom.

Also, modeling doesn't just mean walking down the runway. There is potential for the child to end up in commercials or the like. Have you seen the Band-Aid commercial with the girl playing soccer and the boy surfing? If it were my child, I'd be excited to get a phone call from a friend saying "I just saw XXXX on TV!"

gr8rn

I'm willing to bet that OP is more concerned about the dollar signs that he is not going to be in control of. I'm betting that he is mad that he didn't think of it first..:rolleyes:

I'm willing to bet that OP is more concerned about the dollar signs that he is not going to be in control of. I'm betting that he is mad that he didn't think of it first..:rolleyes:
I don't get that vibe. However, if that is the case, instead of not allowing the child to do something (I'm assuming) she wants to do, he could ask that the money she earns to be put into a savings account for college or the like.

CJane

In your opinion, of course.

But perhaps the child isn't academically inclined. Or is very photogenic AND intelligent and is capable of pursuing things with a balanced approach.

However, it's far more likely that what's happened is Mom went to one of those 'open call sessions' at a mall and they took some headshots and she signed up for 'representation' that only costs her $30/month and never REALLY nets a job.

Proserpina

In your opinion, of course.

But perhaps the child isn't academically inclined. Or is very photogenic AND intelligent and is capable of pursuing things with a balanced approach.

However, it's far more likely that what's happened is Mom went to one of those 'open call sessions' at a mall and they took some headshots and she signed up for 'representation' that only costs her $30/month and never REALLY nets a job.

I'm thinking that's far more likely :)

Let's face it - the Edens and M'Kenzies of the world are few and far between.

And they grow up to be Kate and Gisele even less frequently.

CJane

I'm thinking that's far more likely :)

Let's face it - the Edens and M'Kenzies of the world are few and far between.

And they grow up to be Kate and Gisele even less frequently.
Exactly. There's a vast gray area between Toddlers in Tiaras and America's Next Top Model, that's full of kids who happen to be cute (and most of the time outgrow it).

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
For the record, I took my child to one of those open calls. We were called back by one of the agencies and advise to put together a portfolio and call them back. No pressure to "sell" representation or anything...

I, too, chose not to pursue it.

frylover

If a child's photo appears because they actually ACHEIVED something of note, that is different than their image appearing in an underwear or uniform ad. And, BTW, my child was offered that opportunity and we turned it down flat.[/
QUOTE]

Dad says his issue is "who knows who all is looking at those photos". As has been stated, a pedophile could "use" a picture of daughter posing all sweaty, hair falling down, clutching her soccer ball, JUST as easily as in a modeling shoot photo. Pedophiles can coach soccer teams OR photograph child models.

A good friend of mine has recently started his kids in acting camps, trying to get them movie roles (I suspect it is mainly his wife's doing) It's not what I want for my kids (and they've asked me to consider it for my oldest) but it's not my place to insinuate that they are bad parents for doing so.

And "achieving something of note" is in the eye of the beholder. There are people who wouldn't consider academic acheivements noteworthy, and others who wouldn't consider sporting achievements noteworthy.

I totally understand Dad being upset. But it sounds as though LEGALLY Mom can do what she did. And it doesnt' make her a bad person or a bad parent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">