• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mom signed on with modeling agency w/out my permission

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

frylover

My dad couldn't have solved an advanced algebra or geometry equation, but he did damn fine carpentry (except for the time he nearly lost a finger making a bread box :eek:)

CJane

My dad couldn't have solved an advanced algebra or geometry equation, but he did damn fine carpentry (except for the time he nearly lost a finger making a bread box :eek:)
Heh. My bf's dad never learned to read or write, but made a damned fine living as a logger and raised kids who all pursued master's degrees and rarely use them.

Funny that we're having this discussion though. The class I'm currently enrolled in is all about how "talent" or "intelligence" has little - if anything - to do with potential success in any given field.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
And I would bet that, if you were to ask a finish carpenter to solve a geometrical equation, s/he may not be able to. The understanding is innate.

Really, NW... you're being a snob.
I gotta agree. (And yeah, at times I am a snob. So I know it when I see it.)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
And there's, of course, another aspect to this "intellectual" discussion.

I work for the oldest university in the US (and yes, I do mean the one in Cambridge). I think you'll probably all agree that some very, very smart people work there. But a great many of them do not have the common sense that God gave the average two by four. They may have IQ's off the chart, but that's a very different thing than being able to tie their shoes without adult supervision. And since I grew up in a family of academics, I can tell you that it's not limited to those with crimson t-shirts. (My favorite was the guy who said, "If you want to put a man on the moon, I'm your guy. If you want an insurance application form filled out, ask my wife".) There is something to be said for being able to get across the Yahd without getting lost!

frylover

And there's, of course, another aspect to this "intellectual" discussion.

I work for the oldest university in the US (and yes, I do mean the one in Cambridge). I think you'll probably all agree that some very, very smart people work there. But a great many of them do not have the common sense that God gave the average two by four. They may have IQ's off the chart, but that's a very different thing than being able to tie their shoes without adult supervision. And since I grew up in a family of academics, I can tell you that it's not limited to those with crimson t-shirts. (My favorite was the guy who said, "If you want to put a man on the moon, I'm your guy. If you want an insurance application form filled out, ask my wife".) There is something to be said for being able to get across the Yahd without getting lost!
This made me giggle! :)

mistoffolees

OP is forgetting one important thing. Mom can sign any contract she wants for the child to do the modeling, but without dads OK its not going work.

1st unless mom can get all the shooting times on her time all dads has to do is say no she can't go. whats mom going do tell dad sorry its your court order time but the child has an modeling shoot at this time so you can't have her? ya right there a contempt of court right there that a judge is not going like. Also whats mom going do ask the judge to redo visits around the modeling times. Maybe but it be a hard sell.

2nd. If the child doesn't have a passport and is ask to do a shoot outside of the US all dad has to do is not sign the passport papers. Whats mom going do take him to court? By that time she loss the shoot.

Enough of these and moms going lose the contract. and dad gets what he wants.
There's a saying that solves an enormous amount of problems: "don't buy trouble".

If Dad is worried about missing on visitation because the child is so incredibly successful as a model that she has overseas shoots, then he should be spending his time worrying about things that are more likely - like what he's going to do with the money when gold coins start falling from the sky into his backyard.

Give it a rest. For 99.999% of kids who do modeling, it's a game. They might make a couple hundred dollars doing newspaper inserts for their local retailer, but that's it.

Quit spending our time worrying about "what if's".

TxPE2011

I'm just going to give my two cents of experience with this situation since this dad and I are both from Texas and I have actually had a similiar situation in the court room.
We were told by the judge that both parents are allowed to pick ONE activity each to enroll our daughter in. We are both responsible for making sure she gets to that activity during our parenting time. However, we were also told to use 'common sense' in picking these activities. No competition or select type sports that would require hours of practice per week and all year long training. My daughter has been in dance since she was two. I know she is not going to hit it big and go off to New York to study in ballet (well maybe she will) but not before she is of legal age to do so (meaning 18). Academics always come first and she can't miss any school because of whatever 'sport'. This came up because our daughter wanted to try soccer and her father refused to allow her because he didn't want to spend 'his' time taking her to soccer games on Saturday's. Well it's only for a couple of months a year. It's not all year long. She also wanted to do swim lessons which I felt was very important too however, during the summer, the majority of her time is spent with her dad and he refused to take her to swim lessons. I had to get the court to order him to take her to swim lessons for two weeks. He opted to just not get her. (we live 20 minutes from each other and the lessons were even closer to him than to me).
If the kiddo wants to do this, then let her give it a try. If it effects your time so much that you are having to run from one end of the city to another on every day that you have her, then yes I see a problem that needs to be addressed. But if you are never effected because everything happens on mom's time, then what's the problem? My daughter also is in piano lessons but it's one day a week and will never interfere with her father's time. She also does choir and running club at school which never interferes with either of our time because it's at school. So it's fair to say my daughter is in multiple activities but as long as her father isn't being effected by the schedule then he doesn't care.
I can understand your concern about pictures and having them fall in the wrong hands, I think all parents 'might' feel this way at times with the Internet and so many ways for sick people to be around our kids but honestly, I think there is more of a chance of some sicko watching your daughter play with her friends at the park than in a photo shoot...
As long as it doesn't effect your parenting time, in my experience, it won't matter to the judge. And in our case, the parent screaming that they don't want their kid to do what the kid 'wants' as far as extra curriculars goes, is the one that gets slapped down. My daughter was disappointed that she could not audition for the competition dance team but that was specifically off limits because of the commitment that it involves and honestly, I don't believe it would be fair for me to tell her dad what he is going to he doing every Saturday he has our daughter nor do I want him dictating what I will be doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">